• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Clay birds, steel, rocks, dirt

A

Augustus

Well, some of you may have witnessed the flap that Tom Sarver and myself got into about whether or not a clay bird could be broken by a near miss.

I may now be the foremost expert on exactly what it takes to break a bird by a projectile that does not make a direct hit. I did all the shooting with a 308 at 600 yds and a 223 at 300 yds. I shot the little guys on dirt, clay and gravel mix, scattered rocks and steel. I also set some in the middle of a hardpacked road.

First up was the steel because I already knew from yesterday what was going to happen here. I stuck a piece of long tape to the edge of the bird and hung it in the center of an 18 inch gong. The 223 at 300 yds broke the clay 7 out of ten times. the closest strike was 2 in from the edge of the bird. The gong was a little angled and the clay broke in every instance when the projo stuck on the short side. I put one six inches away and it broke. I backed up to 600 and broke out the 308. Breakage was 10 for 10. Strikes were 4 to six inches from the edge of the clay.

I then fired into the other materials and had several breakages from indirect hits. There were two settings that produced the bulk of the indirect breakages. The one that produced the most was the hard packed road bed. When the rd struck centered and low within a foot or so the bird usually broke. The scattered rocks produced indirect breakages but the results were very erratic. It all depended on the nature of the material that was struck, how far it was from the bird and the angle of the surface.

To be fair to Tom I found a spot that had loose dirt that had no rocks or gravel. I fired ten rds and only had one break. The breakage came from a low strike that went just under the rim. If one was firing at these in sand I would expect none would break unless there was a centered hit just under the rim.

Well thats an over-view of what I gleaned from shooting most of the day. Cheers

Re: Clay birds, steel, rocks, dirt

sounds like a fun experiment. thanks for sharing. i was back out shooting clays again at 940ish today, and had no breaks except for direct hits.

mine never break without a direct hit, and they always break
grin.gif

seriously tho, breaking clays against steel with an indirect hit has been helping exhibition shooters impress crowds since clays were invented.

Yep, and I am going to demo my 338/408 at a mile to my cousin using clay on steel. Im going to give him a pair of cheap-ass binos to look through so all he can see is the clay blowing up.

Tom I wouldn't waste my time , there are always haters and doubters, both consume good energy and peace of mind which I would bet are part of the building blocks of long distances shooting.

My recommendation is stay in the light.

The desert is 68 degrees this week, I've got a 1760 + range, come on down and drop a few pearls of wisdom.

You proved in your back yard what you've seen. Has it ever occurred to you that other people experience different results in different locations and conditions? What if you're both right? What then???

John

Give it a rest jrob, I spent a couple of hrs on the phone with Tom and he is going to build me a rifle. Life is good. As it turned out we both probably was right. The birdies I used were 1970 models and evidently much more fragile than the ones Tom is using.

Thats the trouble with the inter-net. Two guys can hack each other apart for days and then get on friendly terms within a few minites once they meet or talk directly.

"Do not condemn a man because his opinion differs from your own. You may both be wrong."

Dandemus

Or you may both be right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Give it a rest jrob, I spent a couple of hrs on the phone with Tom and he is going to build me a rifle. Life is good. As it turned out we both probably was right. The birdies I used were 1970 models and evidently much more fragile than the ones Tom is using. </div></div>

I'm quite glad to hear that. I was thinking along similar but different lines about the clays, but I thought perhaps Tom's were softer due to humidity.... but that didn't make sense after he told me he's shot over 10,000 and they all act the same.
wink.gif

I edited my post. Sorry, I was not very congenial. Even more glad you guys worked it out. It's not often that we get to see a positive outcome from these things. Attests to the character of the men involved.

John