CLE 18" Bartlein test and a few others

reubenski

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Jun 8, 2008
To
I recently picked up a lightly used CLE/ Bartlein upper. It's an 18" 7.7", CLE chamber, intermediate has length glued into a VLTOR MUR upper. It uses a non-adjustable gas block, BCM BCG, MCMR rail and charging handle. I bought an Aero M4 lower, CMC 2.5lb single stage, and put a VLTOR A5 with A4 buffer on it. Mounted a NF NX8 4x32 and Ultra 5 on it. It weighs 11lbs 12 oz as pictured.

Screenshot_20220508-230725.png

I immediately tried my go-to load of Hornady 75gr BTHP's in the gun. This load works great in everything I've tried it in. 23.5gr 8208 XBR in LC brass, bullets seated to mag length. I load these in 1000rd lots and just keep them in hand. 2950fps in my 26" bolt gun and 2800fps in my 20" WOA .223 Wylde gas gun. They shot about 1.5moa in this new upper. Not great. I tried Ramshot TAC with the 75's and got average .7". Doable but not what this upper deserves. I shot some MK262 out of it and it showed promise. My .223 Wylde chambered bolt gun and 20" WOA shoot the 75 BTHP load better than the MK262 but this upper definitely was the opposite. I spoke to the previous owner and stated the 77 SMK performed better for him. I almost bought some Berger 77 OTM but they're about $80 a thousand more expensive. So I picked up some 77 SMKs to load.

Another thing I noticed with this upper is that it is overgassed. Especially with a TBAC suppressor. The recoil impulse is not smooth. It is also the first AR I've shot that shoots better with a loose or neutral hold. I ordered an AGB to see if I can take it down a little but overall if I was ordering an identical upper from CLE I might opt for a Wylde chamber and rifle length gas. I don't know what the port size is but it's a bit big. I shot this upper with a JP SCS with 3 tungsten weights and a VLTOR A5 H4 buffer.

So I loaded up some 77 SMKs with A2520 and TAC and took out my 20" WOA and .233 Wylde bolt gun to compare.

The 20" White Oak Armament rifle is just a WOA 1:7" Wylde chamber SPR barrel in some no-name heavy, billet, side-charging upper and heavy BCG. I have a seekins AGB, ironically the same handguard, an Aero M4 lower, CMC 2.5lb SS, JP SCS, and Luth AR stock on a rifle length buffer tube. Basically a bunch of Franken parts but it shoots well and is reliable. It shoot the 75gr BTHP load well at 2800fps. I've never tried to shoot a bunch of small groups with it but I'd reckon .5's" aren't too rate for it. It's really nice having a universal load that works equally well in my bolt gun and gas gun. The recoil impulse on this gun is very noticeably smoother and the rifle is less picky about how you shoot it but it does prefer a bit of a tighter hold. I think I paid $275 for the barrel and built around it. It weighs 12lbs even as pictured.

Screenshot_20220508-230710.png

The bolt gun is a 26" Krieger 7.5" Heavy Palma barrel chambered with a Wylde chamber. It is screwed in to my Zermatt TL3 every once in awhile and I use Accurate mag single stack .223 AICS pattern mags. This is one of my switch barrel rifles and will wear any number of barrels depending on the day. It weighs 18lbs 14oz as pictured. I've added nothing specific to up it's weight. Just an MPA BA Comp folding chassis, S&B PMII 5x25, Hawkins rings, Ultra 7, TT Diamond, Atlas Cal G2 bipod. It shoots the 75gr BTHP load very well at 2950fps. When I get into a range session shooting for small groups it's not too hard to shoot a couple of .25" groups. I brought it out today to be a control. The recoil impulse is exceptionally smooth 🤓

Screenshot_20220508-230742.png

So here were the results....

18" Bartlein

75gr BTHP 24.4gr A2520. Whew, pretty gross.
Screenshot_20220508-230952.png

-----------------------------

24.7gr A2520, 75gr BTHP. not much better
Screenshot_20220508-230939.png

--------------------------------
25gr A2520. I confess, I shot a ladder earlier in the morning with A2520 and BTHPs just to figure out where I wanted my velocity to be and understand pressure and the 25gr load is where it came together.
Screenshot_20220508-230915.png

----------------------

So now to the SMKs.

24.4gr A2520 77 SMK. Okay. Not a bad start......
Screenshot_20220508-230924.png

-----------------------

24.7gr and 25gr A2520, 77gr SMK. There we go.... starting to look good.
Screenshot_20220508-230859.png

-----------------
So now the 20" WOA and 75BTHP/ 23.5gr 8208 load. Using a firm hold I get a .4" group.
Screenshot_20220508-230814.png

-------
Okay, so now the .223 Bolt gun shooting the 75gr BTHP 8208 XBR load. It almost felt foreign getting behind it after shooting a gas gun all week. I unintentionally used a loose hold on the first group and then settled in for the second group.

Screenshot_20220508-230755.png

So all that to lay out some different styles of "precision" ARs. On one hand we have a $600 barrel on a $1200 upper, glued in to one of the highest recommended heavy uppers. It's in keeping with the quality/ basic BCG, non-adjustable gas block, a little overgassed for reliability no doubt. It looks smaller and more portable. I really dig the way it looks and if it continues to hammer with the SMK's I'll have a lot of fun with it. But I have to say it seams to be pickier about what ammo it likes. The intermediate has length makes for a much more challenging to shoot rifle that hops a lot more on recoil and is picky about how the shooter drives it. Even with an A5-4 buffer it tends to but up the cases but the primers look great. It really needs a choke on that gas. And it's really not that much lighter or smaller than a 20". I might cut it down to 16" just to have something different, get the suppressor unnecessarily closer to the handguard for that cool look, and cut down on the dwell.

The WOA 20" SPR on the other hand is more indiscriminately put together, franken'd out, but is easier to shoot, less picky about what ammo it wants to shoot, is so much smoother and you can see impact a lot easier through the scope and only weighs 1/4lb more.

I've really come to appreciate some of the nuance of precision ARs comparing these guns. I'm thinking about picking up an Armalite M15 comp 18" rifle length 1:7" barrel. I have an Armalite M15 Competition for 3G and it regularly shoots just under MOA with a wide variety of blaster ammo I load. You can see some fragments of groups in the above pictures where I was shooting some 62gr BTHP using it. I was shooting prone unsupported with a SWFA 1-6x just digging the mag onto the dirt for a rest. It's an ugly gun but it shoots well. I don't know if all Armalite M15 Competition barrels are that way or I just lucked out. With the massive 3 port brake, adjustable gas block, and 18" rifle length it is very smooth. The muzzle doesn't go anywhere on recoil. Armalite sells the 18" M15 Competition barrels on their site for $185. I'm thinking about picking one up and assembling an upper from cheaper Aero parts just to compare. It would be hilarious to assemble a $650 upper that shoots with this CLE Bartlein. But in anlore forgiving, easier to shoot package of Franken parts. Sometimes it's amazing what you can get away with.

Anyway, I just thought it was a fun comparison. Up next is a $330 14" McGowen mid length gas 1:7.7" in a lite contour that's going on this suppressed blaster. The 13.9" BA Hansen barrel is atrocious for accuracy. But it is very smooth shooter. I'm spec'ing the McGowen barrel for a 5/8 24 muzzle, .100" has port for an automatic AGB use.
Screenshot_20220508-234408.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-230924.png
    Screenshot_20220508-230924.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    You're findings are pretty much the same as mine. This is why I only buy rifle length gas and 223 wylde chambers on all my precision AR's... my findings on the CLE chamber was it shot great with 77smk but was picky otherwise just like you've found.

I got my new $265 20" Wilson Combat super sniper barrel out on Friday. It was already grouping in the first 50rd down it. Steal of a deal for a $265 precision AR barrel!

Last edited:

ut755ln

Rub some dirt on it
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Mar 24, 2011
    Houston Texas
    I recently picked up a lightly used CLE/ Bartlein upper. It's an 18" 7.7", CLE chamber, intermediate has length glued into a VLTOR MUR upper. It uses a non-adjustable gas block, BCM BCG, MCMR rail and charging handle. I bought an Aero M4 lower, CMC 2.5lb single stage, and put a VLTOR A5 with A4 buffer on it. Mounted a NF NX8 4x32 and Ultra 5 on it. It weighs 11lbs 12 oz as pictured.

View attachment 7866145

I immediately tried my go-to load of Hornady 75gr BTHP's in the gun. This load works great in everything I've tried it in. 23.5gr 8208 XBR in LC brass, bullets seated to mag length. I load these in 1000rd lots and just keep them in hand. 2950fps in my 26" bolt gun and 2800fps in my 20" WOA .223 Wylde gas gun. They shot about 1.5moa in this new upper. Not great. I tried Ramshot TAC with the 75's and got average .7". Doable but not what this upper deserves. I shot some MK262 out of it and it showed promise. My .223 Wylde chambered bolt gun and 20" WOA shoot the 75 BTHP load better than the MK262 but this upper definitely was the opposite. I spoke to the previous owner and stated the 77 SMK performed better for him. I almost bought some Berger 77 OTM but they're about $80 a thousand more expensive. So I picked up some 77 SMKs to load.

Another thing I noticed with this upper is that it is overgassed. Especially with a TBAC suppressor. The recoil impulse is not smooth. It is also the first AR I've shot that shoots better with a loose or neutral hold. I ordered an AGB to see if I can take it down a little but overall if I was ordering an identical upper from CLE I might opt for a Wylde chamber and rifle length gas. I don't know what the port size is but it's a bit big. I shot this upper with a JP SCS with 3 tungsten weights and a VLTOR A5 H4 buffer.

So I loaded up some 77 SMKs with A2520 and TAC and took out my 20" WOA and .233 Wylde bolt gun to compare.

The 20" White Oak Armament rifle is just a WOA 1:7" Wylde chamber SPR barrel in some no-name heavy, billet, side-charging upper and heavy BCG. I have a seekins AGB, ironically the same handguard, an Aero M4 lower, CMC 2.5lb SS, JP SCS, and Luth AR stock on a rifle length buffer tube. Basically a bunch of Franken parts but it shoots well and is reliable. It shoot the 75gr BTHP load well at 2800fps. I've never tried to shoot a bunch of small groups with it but I'd reckon .5's" aren't too rate for it. It's really nice having a universal load that works equally well in my bolt gun and gas gun. The recoil impulse on this gun is very noticeably smoother and the rifle is less picky about how you shoot it but it does prefer a bit of a tighter hold. I think I paid $275 for the barrel and built around it. It weighs 12lbs even as pictured.

View attachment 7866146

The bolt gun is a 26" Krieger 7.5" Heavy Palma barrel chambered with a Wylde chamber. It is screwed in to my Zermatt TL3 every once in awhile and I use Accurate mag single stack .223 AICS pattern mags. This is one of my switch barrel rifles and will wear any number of barrels depending on the day. It weighs 18lbs 14oz as pictured. I've added nothing specific to up it's weight. Just an MPA BA Comp folding chassis, S&B PMII 5x25, Hawkins rings, Ultra 7, TT Diamond, Atlas Cal G2 bipod. It shoots the 75gr BTHP load very well at 2950fps. When I get into a range session shooting for small groups it's not too hard to shoot a couple of .25" groups. I brought it out today to be a control. The recoil impulse is exceptionally smooth 🤓

View attachment 7866147

So here were the results....

18" Bartlein

75gr BTHP 24.4gr A2520. Whew, pretty gross.
    View attachment 7866148
    -----------------------------

24.7gr A2520, 75gr BTHP. not much better
    View attachment 7866149

--------------------------------
    25gr A2520. I confess, I shot a ladder earlier in the morning with A2520 and BTHPs just to figure out where I wanted my velocity to be and understand pressure and the 25gr load is where it came together.
    View attachment 7866150
    ----------------------

So now to the SMKs.

24.4gr A2520 77 SMK. Okay. Not a bad start......
    View attachment 7866152
    -----------------------

24.7gr and 25gr A2520, 77gr SMK. There we go.... starting to look good.
    View attachment 7866153
    -----------------
    So now the 20" WOA and 75BTHP/ 23.5gr 8208 load. Using a firm hold I get a .4" group.
    View attachment 7866154

-------
    Okay, so now the .223 Bolt gun shooting the 75gr BTHP 8208 XBR load. It almost felt foreign getting behind it after shooting a gas gun all week. I unintentionally used a loose hold on the first group and then settled in for the second group.

View attachment 7866158

So all that to lay out some different styles of "precision" ARs. On one hand we have a $600 barrel on a $1200 upper, glued in to one of the highest recommended heavy uppers. It's in keeping with the quality/ basic BCG, non-adjustable gas block, a little overgassed for reliability no doubt. It looks smaller and more portable. I really dig the way it looks and if it continues to hammer with the SMK's I'll have a lot of fun with it. But I have to say it seams to be pickier about what ammo it likes. The intermediate has length makes for a much more challenging to shoot rifle that hops a lot more on recoil and is picky about how the shooter drives it. Even with an A5-4 buffer it tends to but up the cases but the primers look great. It really needs a choke on that gas. And it's really not that much lighter or smaller than a 20". I might cut it down to 16" just to have something different, get the suppressor unnecessarily closer to the handguard for that cool look, and cut down on the dwell.

The WOA 20" SPR on the other hand is more indiscriminately put together, franken'd out, but is easier to shoot, less picky about what ammo it wants to shoot, is so much smoother and you can see impact a lot easier through the scope and only weighs 1/4lb more.

I've really come to appreciate some of the nuance of precision ARs comparing these guns. I'm thinking about picking up an Armalite M15 comp 18" rifle length 1:7" barrel. I have an Armalite M15 Competition for 3G and it regularly shoots just under MOA with a wide variety of blaster ammo I load. You can see some fragments of groups in the above pictures where I was shooting some 62gr BTHP using it. I was shooting prone unsupported with a SWFA 1-6x just digging the mag onto the dirt for a rest. It's an ugly gun but it shoots well. I don't know if all Armalite M15 Competition barrels are that way or I just lucked out. With the massive 3 port brake, adjustable gas block, and 18" rifle length it is very smooth. The muzzle doesn't go anywhere on recoil. Armalite sells the 18" M15 Competition barrels on their site for $185. I'm thinking about picking one up and assembling an upper from cheaper Aero parts just to compare. It would be hilarious to assemble a $650 upper that shoots with this CLE Bartlein. But in anlore forgiving, easier to shoot package of Franken parts. Sometimes it's amazing what you can get away with.

Anyway, I just thought it was a fun comparison. Up next is a $330 14" McGowen mid length gas 1:7.7" in a lite contour that's going on this suppressed blaster. The 13.9" BA Hansen barrel is atrocious for accuracy. But it is very smooth shooter. I'm spec'ing the McGowen barrel for a 5/8 24 muzzle, .100" has port for an automatic AGB use.
    View attachment 7866164
    Thank you for your time and feedback. I have been looking at getting or building an 18 or 20" upper, your post was really helpful.

Desert_Racer

Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Dec 22, 2011
    USA
    I have a CLE Krieger 15.1” NSW Recce barrel, and it is massively overgassed as well. I asked Compass Lake for the port size and they indicated it is 0.082” 😬

I used an adjustable gas block and the gun would outrun the magazine spring if it was more than 3 clicks from full closed. Very accurate with 77gr SMKs over 23.2gr of XBR in a LC case. Incidentally, it actually shoots M855 really well also.

I am now using a regular Badger Mk12 gas block with a BRT EZ Tune gas tube that has a 0.076 gas port and it has fixed my issues. I also went up to an H3 buffer. Perfect ejection. I highly recommend their gas tubes. They can get you dialed for your specific setup.

If I ever get another barrel from CLE, I will not be buying an off the shelf barrel, so I can request a specific gas port size.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    I have a CLE Krieger 15.1” NSW Recce barrel, and it is massively overgassed as well. I asked Compass Lake for the port size and they indicated it is 0.082” 😬

I used an adjustable gas block and the gun would outrun the magazine spring if it was more than 3 clicks from full closed. Very accurate with 77gr SMKs over 23.2gr of XBR in a LC case. Incidentally, it actually shoots M855 really well also.

I am now using a regular Badger Mk12 gas block with a BRT EZ Tune gas tube that has a 0.076 gas port and it has fixed my issues. I also went up to an H3 buffer. Perfect ejection. I highly recommend their gas tubes. They can get you dialed for your specific setup.

If I ever get another barrel from CLE, I will not be buying an off the shelf barrel, so I can request a specific gas port size.
    That's a good idea. I need to check out those gas tubes. Could be a good way to save the existing gas block.

Reactions: bfoosh006

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    And it’ll cost you half the price of an SLR gas block.
    Ha ha, yikes! I checked out their gas tubes and they don't make an intermediate length or at least it's not listed on their site. I added it to the cart just to see how much it would be: $70 bucks for a gas tube!!! I ordered a seekins adjustable gas block, tube, and roll pin a couple days ago for $73 shipped.

Reactions: Desert_Racer

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    That's a good idea. I need to check out those gas tubes. Could be a good way to save the existing gas block.

I stopped using AGB 2 or so years ago. Rubber City BCG's with adjustable gas keys are awesome. Running them in all my AR's now. Not to mention most companies are headspacing their AR15 precision barrels to RCA and JP bolts... The coating on RCA products is amazing as well.

If you want to spend $39 and be able to use all your existing parts, just buy the RCA adjustable gas key.. Put it right on your existing bolt carrier. I know a few guys that have done this and I did it on a WMD NiB BCG. Runs great.. Tune it exactly like a AGB, but no carbon locking adjustment screw or having to try and get an allen up under the handguard. Takes 5min to dial in your gas settings.

Here is their complete BCG with AGK

Last edited:

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    I stopped using AGB 2 or so years ago. Rubber City BCG's with adjustable gas keys are awesome. Running them in all my AR's now. Not to mention most companies are headspacing their AR15 precision barrels to RCA and JP bolts... The coating on RCA products is amazing as well.

If you want to spend $35 and be able to use all your existing parts, just buy the RCA adjustable gas key.. Put it right on your existing bolt carrier. I know a few guys that have done this and I did it on a WMA NiB BCG. Runs great.. Tune it exactly like a AGB, but no carbon locking adjustment screw or having to try and get an allen up under the handguard. Takes 5min to dial in your gas settings.

Here is their complete BCG with AGK

That's pretty interesting. I already have a Seekins AGB on the way. It's wild at this point you have options to adjust gas flow in the block, tube, and key. I have to say however if you're one of those that fears reliability of AGBs then I can see where you'd be concerned as well with an AGK. Honestly between an AGK vs AGB it kinda seems potato~potatoe

Constructor

Private
    Minuteman

Mid gas? .082 seems big, mine run .076"

Sogan

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jun 11, 2013
    That's pretty interesting. I already have a Seekins AGB on the way. It's wild at this point you have options to adjust gas flow in the block, tube, and key. I have to say however if you're one of those that fears reliability of AGBs then I can see where you'd be concerned as well with an AGK. Honestly between an AGK vs AGB it kinda seems potato~potatoe
    I think one perk of the AGK is that if it goes down you can throw a regular BCG in and keep going without having to disassemble the upper to replace the gas block.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    I think one perk of the AGK is that if it goes down you can throw a regular BCG in and keep going without having to disassemble the upper to replace the gas block.
    Well that's definitely a glass half full thought.

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013

Not at all. I got tired as hell of constantly have SLA and SLR replacing and repairing seized adjustment screws. You dont get carbon build up in the AGK adjustment screw. Havent had that issue ever again since going to an AGK.... They have a lot screw as well once you have it adjusted so there is no moving. I have 2yr on my first one and many thousands of suppresed rounds without any carbon or issues with the adjustment screw

Reactions: bfoosh006

DangerRanger

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Mar 9, 2018
    East
    Woa told me they bed if it’s loose but if it’s a good fit don’t worry about it and CLE told me they fit various size extensionsfor a nice fit if you ask but that’s it.

Everyone I’ve seen that’s mentioned gas ports on a CLE says huge. My rock creek they cut is +2 but is still over some, granted i shoot it with a can and always planned on an agb so no issue.

I have an 18” woa I’m about to zero with a non agb so I hope mine is gassed nicely like yours

Last edited:

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    Interesting. Maybe its nonsense after all. Seekins told me they don’t glue in or shim the standard SP10 barrels and they shoot great.
    Makes you wonder what is internet lore or if you're occasionally just able to get away with some things.

Sogan

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jun 11, 2013
    Interesting. Maybe its nonsense after all. Seekins told me they don’t glue in or shim the standard SP10 barrels and they shoot great.
    I think if it’s a thermal fit then it’s not necessary. If I had a sloppy fit then I’d glue it in

Reactions: Constructor

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    I think if it’s a thermal fit then it’s not necessary. If I had a sloppy fit then I’d glue it in

This is what I do...thermofit uppers is what I use. I just got some JSE billet uppers (MEGA OEM) and they are a nice thermofit. Had to heat them up to fit my new Wilson Combat super sniper. If it's loose I'll use 609

Last edited:

DangerRanger

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Mar 9, 2018
    East
    Woa also specifically said NO when I asked if they preferred I use a thermal fit upper.

Unfortunately I could not get a why out of them, just that they suggest a nice firm fit that does not require heat.

Frank Green

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Oct 27, 2006
    wisconsin
    www.bartleinbarrels.com
    You're findings are pretty much the same as mine. This is why I only buy rifle length gas and 223 wylde chambers on all my precision AR's... my findings on the CLE chamber was it shot great with 77smk but was picky otherwise just like you've found.

I got my new $265 20" Wilson Combat super sniper barrel out on Friday. It was already grouping in the first 50rd down it. Steal of a deal for a $265 precision AR barrel!

I'm going to say not in the barrel....I've built a bunch of 11.5" carbine uppers with carbine length gas systems for guys over the years and all have just pounded nice great groups. Ammo not picky etc...Heck in the last 1-2 years I've done like 7 alone for a Force Recon guy and his brother is a Seal. I've run 223 Wylde chambers in all of them.

A couple of years back before we pulled out of Afghanistan we did a half dozen 14.5" uppers for a Unit of Special Forces guys and the guns/uppers went over to the sand box. Again not a complaint back and all with the Wylde chamber.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    I'm going to say not in the barrel....I've built a bunch of 11.5" carbine uppers with carbine length gas systems for guys over the years and all have just pounded nice great groups. Ammo not picky etc...Heck in the last 1-2 years I've done like 7 alone for a Force Recon guy and his brother is a Seal. I've run 223 Wylde chambers in all of them.

A couple of years back before we pulled out of Afghanistan we did a half dozen 14.5" uppers for a Unit of Special Forces guys and the guns/uppers went over to the sand box. Again not a complaint back and all with the Wylde chamber.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Hey Frank. My statements are directly related to building precision AR's in the 18"-20" range. I always go rifle length gas. I know Frank White also will not build a 18" barrel with a mid length gas system.

I myself also have built numerous 10.5"-14.5" AR's and they also hammer tiny little groups with everything from pistol to carbine gas systems. Im only talking about mid vs rifle length gas in 18-20" barrels, Ill go rifle length every time...

Reactions: Frank Green

Frank Green

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Oct 27, 2006
    wisconsin
    www.bartleinbarrels.com
    Hey Frank. My statements are directly related to building precision AR's in the 18"-20" range. I always go rifle length gas. I know Frank White also will not build a 18" barrel with a mid length gas system.

I myself also have built numerous 10.5"-14.5" AR's and they also hammer tiny little groups with everything from pistol to carbine gas systems. Im only talking about mid vs rifle length gas in 18-20" barrels, Ill go rifle length every time...
    On the longer barrels I agree...I like the rifle length systems better. One customer we've probably made about a couple hundred 18" finish length barrels for and made all of them rifle length gas systems.

Making some 18" I believe it is for the USMC and all rifle length gas systems.

All of the above also have been Wylde chambers.

Later, Frank