• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CLE Barrel: Recon vs Tactical

MarkLeupold

On board the .25 train
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Does anyone know the differences between the Compass Lake Engineering Recon contour and Tactical contour. I figure the 16" Recon weighs about 34 oz or so, but I can't make up my mind if the Tactical contour looks lighter or heavier based on their pictures. There were no weights or contour specs listed, and I'd assume the Tactical is a little lighter, but I just wanted to check and see if anyone knew if it was a large difference or not.

(Yes, send Compass Lake a message last week, they haven't gotten back to me yet)

I got a 14.5 tactical at home. Let me know what measurements you want.
If you know the weight of the barrel with receiver extension, and the diameter at the muzzle, I can get pretty close for a 16" barrel.

If you don't know the weight, I'd have to know each separate diameter of the taper and their positions on the barrel to estimate total weight. Something like this:
1623781837781.png

I sent them a message too and haven't heard back. Give them a call and they will pick up the phone, that's what I had to do

Reactions: MarkLeupold
I personally like the Fluted SDM for my shorter Barrels 14.5-16" The extra rigidity enhances accuracy and the extra weight isn't noticable.
That's kinda what I'm going for. First AR, so I kinda want it to do whatever I need it to. It doesn't have to be great at everything, but accurate enough to have fun at 600-800 yards, a heavy enough barrel to do 10-20 shot strings without too much trouble, and light enough to hike with and point quickly at shorter range targets

2.9lbs with pinned dead air fh and gasblock installed. One inch front of extension for two inches. Tapers to .850” for eight and a quarter inches. .750” at the gb and .740” to the muzzle.

Not a lightweight profile.

Umm the recon barrel has the correct step for the aem5 as the tactical barrel does not.

If your not running an AE suppressor no reason to go recon.
Unless I wanted the fancy-schmancy 15.1" length option ;)

But really, this makes a lot of sense. Thank you for clearing that up!