• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Clean Cld Bore Shot with TRG 22?

Bugaboo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Prague, Czech Republic
I am still learning and don't have the experience to be 100% sure. The rifle is standard TRG22:

How much "off" the zero should the shot be at 100m? What is standard?

Higher or lower?

How many rounds for the PI to settle?

Thanks for answers

Re: Clean Cld Bore Shot with TRG 22?

There is no standard to amount of deviation in the clean cold bore shot vs the follow on shots. Ideally there should be no shift, however sometimes there is but that depends on the quality of the barrel and it's installation. I think the question is are you seeing a deviation in your clean cold bore? If so, about how much deviation?

Like I stated in the original post, I am still learning, so I wanted to take my "input" out of the problem. The rifle is a SAKO factory rifle and shoots excellently (1600 rounds down the bore) - I can make one hole with 5 rounds at 100 and 200 meters (when not, it is entirely my fault). Last week it did wonders at up-to 1000 meters.

But cold bore shots seemed sometimes off - app. 4cm lower at 100m. Sometimes they were right where they were supposed to be.

Now I changed my load and also now I have a Kestrel4500 with Horus, so I can monitor the environment. Like I said above, first of all I blame myself, just want to be sure. Is it possible the bore was "settling down" during the initial couple hundred rounds?

When I had my TRG 22, mine showed no cold bore shot deviation from string fire. However, I did not use reloads, as my ammo was always 175gr FGMM. Hope you are able to work things out, or explain the variation, as they are truly outstanding rifles, IMO.

With explanation I am leaning towards my mistakes, but I wanted to see what people with more experience think.

Try dry firing before you start, as well shoot a different rifle prior, as in, work out any shooter conflict before hand with a different rifle then move to the TRG. See if that changes anything.

Dry fire tends to helps a lot of folks reduce this deviation.

My TRG shoots its first cold-bore (non-clean) 1/3" high and 1/3" inch left every time at 100. It is so consistent that it is just plain eerie.

It is very predictable in cold/heat as well. Hot weather or hot ammo, it will shoot higher. Bitter cold, lower in direct proportion to temperature.

Yours will be different... every rifle is. Every TRG is different from every other TRG. Tiny variances in barrel, action, spacing, metallurgy, etc. will affect your rifle.

Your only way of knowing YOUR rifle is to keep a data book. Record every shot/group and the conditions and after a while, your rifle's performance will be logged and you will know exactly how it will perform in any circumstance.

Impact Databooks, a site supporter, makes a superb book. Buy one and start using it and your rifle will reveal all its secrets!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Oh and don't clean your rifle after every outing. It's your Clean cold bore that is so far off your regular cold bore.

My TRG-22 shows no CBS deviation and this is the first rifle I have had that did not.

I think Lowlight hit it dead-on. If you are not snapping in before live fire, each string, and sometimes between shots; you should be. I tend to take my cold-bore shot more seriously than most and more seriously than all other shooters I personally shoot with. They are in a hurry to foul a barrel for some reason. I agonize over making the first shot perfect.

I spent 6 hours at the range this weekend and got off 14 rounds. Had probably 50 dry-fire shots in which I read mirage, tested parallax, eliminated pulse, bubble-check, perfect sight picture, etc. Now I was not "on the gun" that entire time, but when I was I was channeling through it. I was seeking ONLY cold-bore shots.

Some shooters shoot a lot, and well. I don't shoot a lot, but I shoot pretty well.

I dry-clean with a Bore Snake. No oil. Only when accuracy wanes will I scrub it.

Could be concentration is all you are lacking in that first shot, and I hope you get everything worked out to your liking.

Thank you all for the advices. From shooting other types of firearms I know that learning how to practice is a great step to learning shooting.

I will take the advice, Lowlight and Enough Said.

Do you guys think buying a .22 in similar stock configuration for this type of practice would be a good move?

Thanks to all, again.

In my opinion, not necessary, Bugaboo.

Just DRY FIRE and CALL where your crosshair is at snap. At first you will see movement. You need to practice until your crosshair is DEAD after shot.

Good shooting, my friend!