• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleanest burning ball powder for .223 (AR15)

Fredo0621

Minuteman
Jun 2, 2011
NOLA
Just got my suppressor a lil while back and have noticed very very dirty operation with the suppressor. I'm talking nasty dirty. After one to two mags I start getting some issues with the bolt not completely closing and thus not being able to fire.
The load:
62 gr Golden West Brass FMJ
24.5 gr H335
Mixed LC Brass
CCI SR
This is my plinking ammo that is set up for high volume. Therefore, it has to be a ball powder for superb metering ability. Looking at TAC. Is it cleaner that H335?

Re: Cleanest burning ball powder for .223 (AR15)

I started useing benchmark and have had no issue's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fredo0621</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got my suppressor a lil while back and have noticed very very dirty operation with the suppressor. I'm talking nasty dirty. After one to two mags I start getting some issues with the bolt not completely closing and thus not being able to fire.
The load:
62 gr Golden West Brass FMJ
24.5 gr H335
Mixed LC Brass
CCI SR
This is my plinking ammo that is set up for high volume. Therefore, it has to be a ball powder for superb metering ability. Looking at TAC. Is it cleaner that H335? </div></div>

Cant get much dirtier than H335 or 748.

Ramshot exterminator is what I use for high volume rat shooting in the .223 and it has been excellent. Do use HBN but have not seen a carbon ring build up after as much as 1000 rounds, something I could not say when running H335 or Varget. TAC is also a favorite when running the 69-77gr stuff, both meter fantasic through a dillon press.

Fredo,

You may want to try PowerPro Varmint. It appears to be faster than the 2000 MR, which is very clean with 80gr. bullets. Unfortunately, I haven't tested the Varmint powder with the 62-69 gr. bullet weights.

HTH,
DocB

Been running Varget for years both suppressed and not through bolt and gas guns. No such issues.

I do have some Power pro 2000MR around so, I am going to try this first with some CCI SR primers. If that does not work then some mag primers for H335 then Power Pro. Will let everyone know by next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been running Varget for years both suppressed and not through bolt and gas guns. No such issues.</div></div>
But Varget is not a ball powder.

fredo,

If you do get around to trying the Varmint, please let us know the results. I'd also be interested with the 2000 MR results. I've got a couple of thousand rounds to load with the 69 and 55 grain weight bullets.

Thanks,
DocB

I don't have experience with a lot of powders, but I've noticed since switching to TAC, that it's been keeping quite clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fredo,

If you do get around to trying the Varmint, please let us know the results. I'd also be interested with the 2000 MR results. I've got a couple of thousand rounds to load with the 69 and 55 grain weight bullets.

Thanks,
DocB </div></div>
Got another lb. of 2000MR and 1 lb. of TAC today(No Varmint). Going hunting tomorrow so, if I don't whack a deer I will shoot but if I do no info till the middle of next week.
PS: This will test for cleanliness only not load development. If its clean suppressed then I will do some load development.

My 18" Noveske's liking 24.0 TAC w/75gr Hornady BTHP. Clean...and accurate. my 'go to' load, at this point. Am using Redding bushing dies without final crimp, but with a pretty snug neck, which may improve burn efficiency as well. To prove it, I'd have to back off the bushings a couple thou, but isn't on my radar, as above setup is working. Not suppressed, however.

I run 24.3g of TAC with a 77 SMK out of my Noveske SPR, super clean and accurate. Great results suppressed and not.

For ball ammo, I use W844 from Hi-Tech. It runs $85-95 per jug, meters well, and is what the military load data calls for in M193 and M855. I have not noticed it to be particularly dirty.

The cleanest powders I've ever used are VihtaVuori. The next best have been those manufactured by Western Powders.

This is a broad statement, but this has been my personal experience with multiple cartridges and different loads in each caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks,
If you're looking for a particular characteristic out of your ammunition, you've got to apply the fundamentals. Fundamental #1 is that "Propellant requires pressure to burn". Likewise, each propellant is designed to operate inside a certain pressure range and dwell time (time pressurized inside the barrel). Therefore, you just can't say "X is a dirty powder". It's more complicated than that. I'll grant you that IF a propellant has foreign material in it, material that won't burn, THEN there will be significant residue.

Now, fundamental #1 stated a different way: The higher the pressure and
longer the dwell time, the more powder you'll burn.
Also, you'd be really surprised to see what the residue is actually made of! Hint: The vast majority of it ain't unburned powder!
Let's see if anybody out there will take a stab at applying this fundamental? Yes, Mr. Spicolli....?
</div></div>

Yes a little enlightenment is helpful. However, I also learn by doing. Tac is dirty in all my .223 and .308 from 14.5" to 24" barrels throughout my accuracy band. Let me know when you are in my area next, and I would be happy to give you the left overs, so you can try it.

Interesting comments about TAC being dirty I have not experienced it that way, burns so clean in my AR when unsuppressed it takes a couple loadings on a piece of brass to blacken the inside of the case, and suppressed it is still cleaner in my guns than the other ball powders i have tried: H335, H322, BL-C(2), AA2520, H380. YMMV

Pressure and burn rate do definitely play a large part in the residue left in your weapon.
I have noticed powders that are clean while run unsuppressed turn super dirty suppressed. Benchmark is a perfect example, super clean unsuppressed but blows green/grey gunk everywhere in my action and 5 rounds deep in my mag when run suppressed

Something else to note is AA2520 makes my eyes water from the gas worse than any other powder with the can attached.