• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning a gas gun?

TexasHaag

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2022
Killeen Texas
Greetings,

The day isn't finished until your gas gun is cleaned. Looking for some input.
I couldn't find any posts about gun cleaning... There should be a sticky somewhere on the subject....

solvent and brush -vs- ultrasonic (mainly BCG)
what solvent/cleaner do you use?
show a pic of your favorite cleaning tools!
got a trick for the tough carbon?

Thanks,
Texas Haag

Small snap on pick and flat blade screwdriver, use thes to chip and scrape all carbon out and off of bcg. Wipe clean with #9 and little bit of lube with slip2000. Reassemble.

Reactions: 338dude
Even suppressed shooting shit ass ammo a gas gun doesn't need cleaning at the end of the day of shooting. I've put 20K+ rounds through an LMT M4 upper doing nothing more than squirting more oil in the thing to keep it running without any issue. Gave that upper to a buddy of mine who worked for Aimpoint to use on a range/test gun and keep running it.

I clean mine every 1-2K rounds. Boretech C4 for the bolt assembly and working parts with brushes and Q tips. Bore Tech eliminator for the smoke hole. Oil on the gas rings, extractor pin, and ejector then grease on the bolt lugs, cam pin, carrier rails, charging handle and trigger.

Other than that they get a bore snake pulled through it after a shooting session to remove the loose shit, and a couple drops of oil in the gas rings to keep it from hardening up.

sometimes when I’m bored I soak wipe off my bcg with break free

Thasaboutit

I’m with TTT and redneckbmx, but if you MUST clean, wipe the bolt and carrier off/out with a paper towel and reapply lube. 5-10 minutes, tops. Done. Don’t over think it.

Greetings,

I don't think you're looking for input. I think you're looking for people to agree with you

arguing with fools.jpg

Greetings,

I couldn't find any posts about gun cleaning... There should be a sticky somewhere on the subject....

Thanks,
Texas Haag
You mean a wipe down and re-lube of the bolt/upper, and a couple pulls if a bore snake after about 750-1000 rounds?

We're not in the military, we don't clean weapons for 3-4 hours just for the sake of killing time.

I use Hoppes #9 as my go-to solvent and whatever lube I happen to have directly in front of me. (Militec-1, Mobil 1 5w-30, whatever).

Tough carbon? I scrape it with whatever non-marring tool I have in front of me (empty brass case usually does the trick).

Reactions: AMGtuned
Greetings,

Thanks,
Texas Haag
Now I see why there isn't a thread....

Yeah. The main thing is to use the appropriate lube and that makes wiping your bcg down easier. Bore snake the barrel, wipe down and re lube the bcg, and hit the locking lugs with a brush once in a while.

Cleaning done in 5 minutes.

Hint, most gun lubes are too thin.

Reactions: clcustom1911
FFS. This just became a "what's the best gun lube" thread. God help us all.

The current hype beast lube is the best, all that other shit and motor oil is garbage.

The current hype beast lube is the best, all that other shit and motor oil is garbage.
No, the current stuff is already passé. You need the future lube that hasn’t yet started to be hyped. That’s the bestest.

• Haha
Reactions: Clayman
Wipe down and lube the bolt, swab with light lube and dry the chamber, and wipe the exterior with a RemOil wipe. Put it away til the next time.

I'm assuming that all of you above are talking about your weekend blaster that you just shoot surplus ammo out of???

Because I know none of you are treating your precision ARs with Bartlein and Krieger barrels like that.

To the the OP, I use the Hoppes new Black cleaner, after each outing pull the BCG and spray with Hoppes Black cleaner, you'll actually watch as the cleaning agent will start to turn blue and just wipe with a rag. The Hoppes Black Cleaner is the closest I've found to a (No Scrubbing) cleaner, if any carbon is left just use a small flat head screwdriver or dental tools.

Mop the chamber with a cotton mop and a few sprays of the Hoppes Black, I don't clean the bore unless accuracy starts to degrade if anything I'll just run a Cotton patch with a very very light spray of that hoppye's cleaner, just moist enough to remove any residual carbon residue..... That's it.

If you wish to clean more often just use common sense and proper tools IE... a proper fitting bore guide, caliber specific nylon coated cleaning rod, and brass jags.

Last edited:
I'm not sure this guy is using enough grease. I like to use an entire tube of lithium grease at each cleaning ;)

I'm assuming that all of you above are talking about your weekend blaster that you just shoot surplus ammo out of???

Because I know none of you are treating your precision ARs with Bartlein and Krieger barrels like that.

To the the OP, I use the Hoppes new Black cleaner, after each outing pull the BCG and spray with Hoppes Black cleaner, you'll actually watch as the cleaning agent will start to turn blue and just wipe with a rag. The Hoppes Black Cleaner is the closest I've found to a (No Scrubbing) cleaner, if any carbon is left just use a small flat head screwdriver or dental tools.

Mop the chamber with a cotton mop and a few sprays of the Hoppes Black, I don't clean the bore unless accuracy starts to degrade if anything I'll just run a Cotton patch with a very very light spray of that hoppye's cleaner, just moist enough to remove any residual carbon residue..... That's it.

If you wish to clean more often just use common sense and proper tools IE... a proper fitting bore guide, caliber specific nylon coated cleaning rod, and brass jags.
This is the best answer in the thread!

Reactions: samnev
Greetings,

Thanks,
Texas Haag
So you want to make declarative statements about cleaning but you need help with it?

LOL

Even suppressed shooting shit ass ammo a gas gun doesn't need cleaning at the end of the day of shooting. I've put 20K+ rounds through an LMT M4 upper doing nothing more than squirting more oil in the thing to keep it running without any issue. Gave that upper to a buddy of mine who worked for Aimpoint to use on a range/test gun and keep running it.

I clean mine every 1-2K rounds. Boretech C4 for the bolt assembly and working parts with brushes and Q tips. Bore Tech eliminator for the smoke hole. Oil on the gas rings, extractor pin, and ejector then grease on the bolt lugs, cam pin, carrier rails, charging handle and trigger.

Other than that they get a bore snake pulled through it after a shooting session to remove the loose shit, and a couple drops of oil in the gas rings to keep it from hardening up.
Grease in an AR? I've stuck with normal gun oil and have reserved the grease for the M1 Garand.

If you're shooting a gun regularly, adding more oil is a solid strategy. For anything that's going to sit more than a month or two, a decent cleaning is a good idea. I've found rust on the bolt tails and inside carriers of guns that have sat for too long without cleaning.

Hate to admit it <sigh>, but I've used gasoline for years to clean both aircraft parts and guns. It's a great solvent and is universally available anywhere. With that said.... outdoors only and use extreme caution.

Like Chuck Yaeger once said: "It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone but myself".

I bet that in the field that many soldiers have used it in the past, and will do so in the future.

Grease in an AR? I've stuck with normal gun oil and have reserved the grease for the M1 Garand.

If you're shooting a gun regularly, adding more oil is a solid strategy. For anything that's going to sit more than a month or two, a decent cleaning is a good idea. I've found rust on the bolt tails and inside carriers of guns that have sat for too long without cleaning.

Grease stays, oil runs. There are parts in an AR that should be greased and not oiled.

Uhhmmmm my Bartlein and Douglass barreled AR's get the same as my other precision platforms:

My precision bolt guns get a bore snake every 100-200 rounds or whenever I remember. I don't wait for "groups to open up" because I rarely shoot groups. I'm my opinion, waiting for accuracy to degrade is akin to failure-mediated maintenance. I like to prevent shit from "failure". I don't want failure to occur when I'm in the middle of something important, like a match or hunting trip. Consistency across the board.

Everything stays the same-ish amount of dirty for consistency.

Last edited:
Bore snake doesnt do shit, its a waste of time and money.

Your barrel is the the least important thing to worry about with a heavy firing schedule. Worry more about wiping off the bolt, trying to wipe dirt out of action and in the case of a gas gun, lots of lube. The gas system for the most part is self cleaning.

Gas guns can go many many many thousands of rounds shooting dirty peasant ammo like wolf and tula without much cleaning. As long as they are wet and maybe wipe the bolt off every 5K rounds if you see build up, which you really shouldn't.

Carbon is a great lubricant. Stripping your gas gun down to bare metal/coating increases friction and gives the carbon and lead a place to stick to. With a nice layer of carbon on the parts and generous lube, you will see much less buildup over time. It can be wiped off easy without having to scrape.

99% of people have zero fucking idea what they are doing when it comes to cleaning.

Uhhmmmm my Bartlein and Douglass barreled AR's get the same as my other precision platforms:

My precision bolt guns get a bore snake every 100-200 rounds or whenever I remember. I don't wait for "groups to open up" because I rarely shoot groups. I'm my opinion, waiting for accuracy to degrade is akin to failure-mediated maintenance. I like to prevent shit from "failure". I don't want failure to occur when I'm in the middle of something important, like a match or hunting trip. Consistency across the board.

Everything stays the same-ish amount of dirty for consistency.

CloudyAridAdamsstaghornedbeetle-size_restricted.gif