• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning a tripod?

Lunabear

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2018
Omaha, Ne
Might sound like a stupid question but I just shot a match in the sand hills of Nebraska and my tripod is completely covered in dirt and dust. It’s carbon fiber so am I out of line in thinking I could just take it outside and fully extend it and hose it off? And unforeseen issues?

Take the leg locks apart then clean it, they are simple. just need to line everything up when you reassemble. A thin film of grease on the threads, nothing too excessive since that will attract dirt.

I don't usually take mine apart, just wipe it down with a wet rag.

If you hose it off you'll just wash the grit further into the threads, plus get water inside it and have to disassemble it anyway.

Use distilled water for the ball head/ leveling base. This will clean and prevent chatter and squeaks. Really Right Stuff has some good videos on YouTube showing how to clean.

Reactions: Supergyro