• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning after Media Tumble?

DoppelA

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2007
San Jose, CA
Just wondering what everyone is using for cleaning brass after being in a tumbler. I am afraid of getting scratches on the brass from the residue, and it building up in the die body.

Thanks.

Re: Cleaning after Media Tumble?

After coming out of the tumbler, I usually give each case a quick wipe-down with a rag. Kinda tedious, but prevents what you are noticing.

When I used to use the dry stuff, I always just dumped the brass into an old towel after separating and rubbed it around.

WOW just when you thought OCD had limits...

Dude, take it out of the tumbler, dump the media from the shell, spray it with lube, and size it. Unless you plan on making your brass into some sort of artwork, dont worry about it.

carbon and powder residue will build up inside the seater....so some carb cleaner and the air compressor....and a brush will have to got to work every once and a while....you'll figure it out when you see the bullets being marked....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW just when you thought OCD had limits...

Dude, take it out of the tumbler, dump the media from the shell, spray it with lube, and size it. Unless you plan on making your brass into some sort of artwork, dont worry about it.

</div></div>

Andrew,

Hit me up this weekend about this. We got 50lb bags of corn cob from a blasting place for 36.00. If you use walnut you get a lot of that powder all over your brass.

Vu,

I use walnut media and have never seen any type of powder on my brass. Can you explain what you mean as powder? Also are you using the polish (paste type LYMAN BRASS POLISH) mixed into the media when the powder was showing up.

Ken

Toss a damp paper towel or two into the tumbler towards the end of the cycle. It will pick up all the small dust.
I don't do a thing besides that.

After seperating the media from the brass, I toss a couple of damp rags in the seperator with the brass and tumble some more. Seems to work ok, but it's not perfectly clean.

I have taken to throwing a Bounce dryer sheet in the tumbler and it really seems to cut down on dust. I am using a Dillon tumber and RCBS corncob media with the brass polish powder that comes it. The dryer sheet trick has been mentioned here before, that is where I learned about it.

damp paper towel in the tumbler, I use the short sheets, rip two in half, dampen them and toss them in the tumbler, works really well.

I use walnut and there is a fine dust like powder. I just wipe each case with an old t-shirt as I put them in the bin or reloading tray.

I think I will try some nufinish just for kicks. I've tried simple green but didn't really see any difference.

I dump the brass in a plastic cup filled with rubbing alcohol. Swill around and take brass out. It evaporates real fast with no residua or dust. All the media dust goes to bottom of cup. Shake the case when you pull it and anything on the inside falls out…

Thanks guys. I am using treated corn cob now, and the residue is enough that it is leaving brass build-up in my FL S die. I have to bore clean it nearly every time, and it has left scratches on some brass if I didn't. I even tried new media, and still the residue.

Not OCD Super Bee, just want to lengthen the life of my dies/brass.

i use untreated corncob from petsmart and don't get the residue.

No matter what you do about dust, take a few moments and clean out your dies after each use anyway.

I agree with Bolt and Greg....hit them with an air compressor for a second....a quick blast is plenty....and you should always clean your dies regularly....I do...I spend too much on Dies to have them screwed up by something preventable....

Ive never tried the dryer sheet before....sounds like a good idea...

Another good trick for the dryer sheets is to wipe down your powder throw or the tube for your auto dispenser...the static that gets some of the kernels stuck is gone....