• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning AR Furniture (1970's Colt SP1)

SmokinAce

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
AZ
I looked around here and found nothing. Ok well the last time I got together with my father he handed me a Colt AR. I thought nothing of it till I got back home and looked at it closer (got it on my way out the door to the airport to fly back home). It is approx a 1974 Colt SP1 with approx 500 rounds through it. It looks clean good but I wanted to clean the furniture on it and put it in the safe (yes I know make it a safe queen). He told me the other day he has the original box and receipt for it as well and will get them to me. So my question is how do I clean the furniture without hurting it? All my AR’s are newer and I could care less about the furniture on them. So it has these marks on the furniture where it looks like it got rubbed with something and is a little smoother than the rest (hard to explain will get pictures this week when I get back home from work). So what works and is safe? I was thinking a good washing with soap and water would work well but is there something you can then put on it to protect it? It is not muddy or dirty I just want to clean it completely and put it away (years of dust and it probably wasn’t cleaned after the last 100 rounds were put through it). Insight would be nice thanks guys.