• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cleaning brass?

Re: cleaning brass?

u can just clean by hand
smile.gif

i leave it in until its clean and shiny

Tips on using a vibrating case cleaner.

Go to petco and buy a bag of lizard litter. Its crushed walnut shells at an attractive price.

Use Iosso media additive with the crushed walnut shells.

Place one or two used bounce sheets in your tumbler along with the brass. The used bounce sheets absorb dirt, and dust extending the life of your media times 2.

I usually run my brass in a dillon tumbler for the time it takes to watch a good movie on DVD. The older your media, the longer it will take. If it is taking more than 2 hours you may need new media.

Hope this helps

Use a walnut media that measures .015.( It will vary between .010 and .020 when
you measure it) I use frankford arsenal polish which has a citric smell to it, but there
are many others, just stay clear of ammonia based ones like brasso. 10 lbs. of the good media will last a half a lifetime for a moderate to heavy shooter. With a rotary
media separator like a dillon you will have 0 media stuck in the flash holes. I de-cap,
tumble for an hour, prep the brass completely and tumble another hour. Blackened
brass (old range pickups) I soak in vinegar and water (50/50) until fairly clean. That
oxide is literally as hard as iron and you don't need it in your chamber.

I bought a table lamp timer. (On the end of a short extension cord). I can set the timer from 30 minutes to 12 hours. I just turn the tumbler switch on and set the timer switch for however long I want it to run. If the brass is just been fired in the last few days and is still fairly clean a couple of hours will do fine. For badly stained brass that's been laying on the ground for several weeks at the firing line, I leave it running 8 to 10 hours.

I also have it running through a surge protector.

thank you guys,very helpful just cleaned my first 100 shells turned out looking new

Whether you use corn cob grit or walnut hulls crushed, every couple of loads you need to ad some cleaner / compound and let it run a bit before you put the brass inside. I have used the Midway brand and Dillon as well as a few others. They all work pretty well. Just compare price against the volume of the bottle.

I bought several 50 pound bags of corn cob grit a few years ago. I have found that when it turns a dark almost black, it won't take the cleaner correctly. Walnut hulls seems to hold up a little bit longer. But it will turn bad as well eventually.

The trick with the drier sheet is good. But the same sheet will run 2 or 3 loads without a problem. It helps with the dust if when you dump the media / brass out that you take a wet paper towel and wipe the residual dust from the plastic bowl. If you don't you'll get a "level ring" where the level of the media is. It's just dirt, grease and wax. A squirt of lighter fluid on a paper towel will clean it off in a heart beat.

It was several years ago and I bought like 8 bags at the time. I'll have to try and find an address on one of the bags.

I'll see if I can get it for you tomorrow. If not it may be Sunday. The grandkids will be here tomorrow & Saturday. It's trying to storm right now and I'm not going outside in the weather.

I have been tearing two paper towels into 1" strips per load.

These get dirty and worn, and tossed out each time.

I have been wearing a face mask when I work on vibrators inside.

I have 3 vibrators:
Dirty cases
Getting cleaner cases
Moly on the bullets

I added some brass polish(paste)that I had lying around from when my agency had us using brass keepers on our gun belts. I used about a teaspoon and the results have been great.

Good luck,
Matt