• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning brass

desertHK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
AZ
Help me out guys. There was a thread on how to clean and make your brass shinny a while ago. I did a search back to one year but couldn't find it.

I have some 50 BMG brass that are in desperate need of serious cleaning. I have tumbled it with corn media and baking powder. but they are still not quite clean. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Re: Cleaning brass

i used walnuts and some car polish did a good job

recently got a hold of some regrind material from a plastic injection house my company works with. cleaned every single bit of dirt from all my cases (even 50 BMG) but gave kind of a dull hue. i may try to repolish with walnut to see if i can bring out the shine

worst case, send me your shells and i'll clean them for you

Are you using any cleaning solution in addition to the media? I use the midway brass cleaner. I add a couple capfulls to the media from time to time.

For good results the old fashioned way, 0000 steel wool does a nice job too. I annealed 200 BHA cases and chucked each in a cordless drill then twistd each case into steel wool and polished the surface oxidation from the annealing off so well, they look brand new.

desert-I've never heard of using baking powder...I would think that would gum things up because it is such a small particulate. I seriously doubt that it would do much of anything. You need a slightly larger coarser particulate. Also, as queequeg mentioned what sort of cleaning media are you using? It can make a big difference. How long did you leave them in the tumbler, and what tumbler are you using?

Years ago the NRA published a 'facts book'. They recommended citric acid as the safest and most effective brass cleaner. I tried dampening my media with vinegar, and later, with non-ammonia window spray, and when I could find the kind that included vinegar, I used it too.

I've found that lt all works very well. I have also used diluted CLR as a dampener, and it's very good.

Couple of points. Rinse the brass afterward. I tumble it in dry media to dry it off inside and out, and to prevent water spotting.

Dampen the media before you add the brass and run the damp media by itself until the dampener is completely absorbed. Otehrwise, the medium will get inside the brass before it finishes expanding and become impacted in there.

If you leave the cleaned brass overnight in the CLR dampened media, tumbler off, it will acquire a dull olive patina that is fairly durable, but which will come clean with more tumbling (a lot more, but it <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> eventually come off). Some folks will find this to be a very interesting phenomenon.

If you intend adding abrasive, try jewelers' rouge, and be sure to get it all off before running your brass through the dies. Otherwise, it will increase die wear exponentially.

Greg

I use car wax. Meguiars, specifically. Makes my brass clean and very shiny. You might try letting it run a little longer as well.

Greg brings up some very good points, I didn't know about most of those. My solution is to use Corn Cob media that I add Graf's tumbling polish to. About 2 teaspoons every other time I tumble cases and it gets them very clean and shiny.

It doesn't require them to be cleaned by hand afterward either. I think the stuff is about 5 bucks a bottle, and I have tumbled about 5000 cases of mixed 223 and 30-06 and 30-30 in the first 1/4 of a bottle.

I have played with a lot of different solutions to add to the media. The best I have found is good walnut shell media. When it gets old, you can add a little car polish (orange bottle- I can't remember the name). But it only works for a short period. I just keep using new media, and use it til it stops working well- which will clean a lot of cases.

+1 on what ChadTRG42 says only difference is I use the Lyman brass polish. Tumble for at least 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.

You want the walnut, corn cob polishes but doesn't clean well. Get some brass
polish made for tumbling as it doesn't contain ammonia. I have doubts about using
car wax as it would lube the case and that might not bode well for the bolt face and
lugs over time. Tarnish on brass is very hard. Copper and Zinc oxides are as hard
as plain iron. I would guess brass oxide is even harder so you want it all removed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Help me out guys. There was a thread on how to clean and make your brass shinny a while ago. I did a search back to one year but couldn't find it.

I have some 50 BMG brass that are in desperate need of serious cleaning. I have tumbled it with corn media and baking powder. but they are still not quite clean. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.</div></div>

I think I remember the thread you are talking about...i think the guy was using ceramic media to clean 308 cases. I will do a search

I did a little Google search and read that baking soda does the job when makes it as a solution. I didn't want to add water to my tumbler, since it is a dry tumbler (Hornady tumbler with corn media). So I added the baking soda powder. I see moderate improvement, but not sure if it's because of the new media I just added, or the baking soda powder. I left it run overnight. Will check it again after work. Thanks for your input gentlemen. If you have any secret recipe, please keep adding as we are all interested I am sure.

HK...I just cleaned 100+ .223 cases using walnut shell and Lyman Turbo Brite. Wow....cases came out better then a fresh batch of factory ammo.
I let them go over night and use a RSBS vibrating "tumbler".

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HK...I just cleaned 100+ .223 cases using walnut shell and Lyman Turbo Brite. Wow....cases came out better then a fresh batch of factory ammo.
I let them go over night and use a RSBS vibrating "tumbler".

Take care,Stan </div></div>

Sounds like you have the fever now Stan!

I put some flitz paste in a plastic bottle and add water. Shake then add to media.

Turn tumbler on for about 15 minutes then add brass. If you don't do that, you'll get media mixed with polish stuck in your brass

Beware cleaning brass with Brasso!! It contains Ammonia which over time will make your beloved brass brittle! Link to MSDS sheet Brasso MSDS Sheet

I switched to cleaning my brass using a tumbler with Stainless steel media / Water / and Joy dish soap! 4 Hours in the tumbler and the come out clean as new!
media1.jpg

media2.jpg

media3.jpg

This process has given me better results for less cost than using the ultrasonic with Citranox.

Very happy with the stainless media. I still use crushed corn cob in a vibratory to clean off sizing lube but that's all.

Terry

Is there a place to even purchase the stainles media?

I read this months ago and bought an ultrasonic cleaner just like it off Ebay:
http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

It did not get cases clean, but it does clean the Copper solvent out of brushes.
Now that I have KG12, Copper cleaning is very different.

But I did find that Mauser parts can get rid of 50 years of dirt with the ultrasonic cleaner.

Then I read these things:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/6mmbr/vpost?id=2261696&highlight=lemi
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/6mmbr/vpost?id=3207000&highlight=lemi
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/6mmbr/vpost?id=3423282&highlight=lemi

Went to the police station in Issaquah to see the tea party, but what started at noon was winding down at 2:30

So I went to the store, and got some Lemi Shine and some distilled white vinegar.

I put some magnum cases in a rubber band.
In a couple seconds, the inside of the necks were getting brass colored, something two days of vibrating did not do.

Clark, et al;

I did a fair write-up on Ultrasonic Cleaning here, and many others chimed in. I venture to say, that if your cases didn't get clean, then something was missed in the process.

JB1000 did one hell of a job working all that out, and I followed the lead. It works, very well I might add.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Just suggesting.

Am just starting out reloading, myself, and find this info useful. Have had expereince with cleaning other items (lab and medical instruments) with ultrasonic and that's often the only thing that will clean out small crevices via 'cavitation' of cleaning solutions. Somebody started a website doing this - brassandbullets.com and seemed to be doing well.

A long time ago I used to clean spark plugs with a media made of silicon carbide in a small air-pump operated cleaner. Was wondering if anybody has used this to clean brass?

Granted you'd want to clean EVERY bit of the SiC out before loading, as the damage it would do to a barrel would be even more expensive than what it would do to an engine cylinder. Just wondered about this.

-Dirk

I got mine from a buddy In SC. He bulk purchased 50+ pounds. I do not know what he has left. I will call him tonight and ask what if any he has left and what he would wnat for it! I made a few things for him and in exchange he gave me the media so I don't have a clue what it cost. I know he was selling it by the 5lb container!

Terry

We're trying to get it clean on the inside and out (including the primer pockets). We also want it to be free of dust and powder residue on the inside. Do you believe that 15 min. of tumbling in corncob or walnut will achieve that? Do you believe that 15 min. in it will clean the old 50 cases the OP is asking about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think so Tim...</div></div>

Just added the lemishine to the mix. What a difference , thanks! ( for the ultrasonic
mix)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NativeCraft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leave the brass in overnight!? Goshdamn, what are y'all trying to do to it?

Take a look at these videos and see what you think:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atpDSlB_VJo&feature=related
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDMIGn3Q-0U&feature=channel_page

He says he leaves brass in the tumbler for about 15 minutes. </div></div>

Did he say at the end of vid #2 that if your shooting a bolt action you'll never have to clean it again or was I mistaken?

Have a bud, that usees NOTHING but WHITE RICE................

Takes a long time, but cleans the shit out of the brass.........and it turns the rice balck, and after a while the rice just wears out.

Replaces the RICE, and it's GTG all over.

HATE Walnut media......................
Esp if you make a bad mistake of removing the primers( Corn Cob also).

The Walnut, leaves walnut oils on the cases..............requiring an extra step.

There are not too many things that I would not say I would not change doing for something better! The stainless steel media in a tumbler is one. Once you have used it you would never use anything else I swear. The media never goes bad and all you have in it is water and a little dish soap! I bought a cheap stiff plastic container and drilled holes in the bottom. Just dump all of it into the container, rinse with hot water and shake the media out of the cases. They will be clean as new every time. I used the ultrasonic with Citranox and this process does better.

DSCI0005-2.jpg

My buddy just ordered 50lb more. So if you are interested I will PM you his contact info.

Tried BB's! They are to big to clean in the primer pockets.
Terry

Any problems w/ peening the case mouths? I had been using the ceramic media for wet cleaning similar to what Kris was using... but either my 'mix' was off or I left them in there too long (or both), but I had a hellacious burr form at the mouth, that took a considerable amount of trimming (had to actually shorten the case OAL a couple thou) to get rid of.

Monte,

Did it not go away when you shortened the tumbling cycle?

The amount of water he has in the tumbler probably dampens the movement of his media and cases. Otherwise, those cases would probably get smashed up pretty good. I haven't tried a lot of water with the angle cut stuff. It's worth a try.

suasponte,

Can you post some pics of the rifle brass after cleaning (specifically the mouths). And also, list the proportions of water/media/cases you put into the tumbler.

Kris,

Yes it did... but the cases didn't get as clean either. Apparently there is a balance point in there that I am missing...

Monte

You aren't using the vinegar solution either though right?

IIRC I was using water, couple teaspoons of lemon juice + a squirt of Dawn Ultra.

Guess I'll have to go back and look for what mix you guys were using.

I think the Tarn-X process uses bicarb in the solution and aluminum (can be foil) for the anode to remove oxidation.

I have never had any problems with case damage using the Stainless Media! There has been several times that I forgot in the morning to go down stairs and take it out before I went to work. So they tumbled for about 12 hours and to be honest the looked like new brass out of the bag!

Terry