• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Carbon Fiber Barrels

Blueknight99

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2019
I just got my first carbon fiber barreled hunting rifle with a Proof Research 6.5 Creedmoor carbon fiber barrel. Looking for suggestions on good cleaning gear and equipment. Example, what cleaning rods, products etc, do you guys recommend. Thanks in advance!

clean the bore like any other barrel its stainless steel as to the outside i would avoid penetrating lubricants and solvents might be fine vut why would you need such things on the outside of the barrel and why risk it

as to standard cleaning procedure i use tipton carbon rod a bore guide and caliber specific jags cleaning from action to muzzle removing patch and withdrawing repeat

i like hoppes elite, its non toxic, doesn't stink, and works really well

Coated or carbon cleaning rod. No bare steel.

I push a patch, wait, push another, wait, etc. Cleaning in the garage when I'm tinkering with other things. Never bother with brushes myself.

Shooters choice #7 for carbon fouling.
Butches or Montana extreme for copper fouling.

Ballistol for an oil coat. Any decent gun oil can be used here.

I use everything Boretech.
I run a couple wet patches. Let it sit, then use their nylon brush for 3-5 punches, then a few wet patches. Dry patch a couple times, then an oil patch.
I use the copper remover when I do that. Otherwise I have a big jug of Lucas bore cleaner I will use if I'm just doing a quick clean running a couple patches then patching dry.
I don't really try to remove all the copper every time I clean with the copper remover, but their cleaner will tell you if it is still in or not. You could be cleaning a while if you are actually trying to remove all the copper depending on if it had ever been done before.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
No difference in cleaning from a normal barrel.

Good rod (I use dewey), guide (I have a lucas but I guess he ain't making them no more), push jag (tipton nickle plated), patches (cheap ones, I think southern bloomers maybe proshot), bronze brush (good proshot with brass core), and a mild solvent (hoppies #9) (watch out for some of these harsh solvents, they will eat your barrel)

Last edited:
All my Proofs like to run dirty, don't worry about cleaning it until your group opens up!