• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Cradle or Vise for Folding Stock Rifle

USMC 308

G14 Classified
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2003
Central TX
To be used for cleaning.

I'm using a Sinclair metal cradle at the moment. The XLR Element chassis with folding adapter wobbles around a bit. I can manage and I get the job done. Just wondering if there is a better option out there.

Noticed the Tipton Best Gun vise is on sale at Midway, but I don't think a side folder would fit in there very well. Would also have to fit a 20" AR upper.

I don't have a dedicated work bench.....I throw down the tailgate of my truck, put some old towels down and clean outside....I like to freak out the neighbors. I find they bother me less as a result. Win-win!

What does everyone use....link or picture would be most helpful. Thanks.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...=main-image-link&utm_campaign=tipton-gun-vise

thumbnail (2).jpg

Last edited:
I'll have the same issue soon.

I think I'll try to make an AICS magazine well block.

I could use an Arca Swiss clamp for my MPA chassis I'm waiting on but the magazine well block would be more universal.

I have a workbench, and I use the same sinclair cradle. Works well on may things, less well on some. I also have a bench vice, but I don't use it as often as I thought I would for holding guns. It does have a 308 and 556 mag well block as well as padded jaws for other guns. Sometimes that is pretty good.

Often I just prop the gun up on its bipod, and hold the rear when I want to elevate it. It works, especially when I'm too lazy to use the vice.

All of the above is for cleaning (infrequent event) as well as general gun work/scope mounting etc.

None of that probably helps you, sorry.

Often I just prop the gun up on its bipod, and hold the rear when I want to elevate it. It works, especially when I'm too lazy to use the vice.
Thats what I do, flip the legs down and put the butt on something, typically the first step on the backyard stairs. Keeps all the stench outside.

I mounted a vice on a large board to be mobile and use a vice block. It's a bit heavy, but its a stable platform that works quite well for many other uses as well. I'll attach a pic later...

Reactions: USMC 308
I just use the bipod with 2 rear bags on my AI’s. I’d post a picture but it’s pretty self explanatory.