• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cleaning external threads after cutting them

LC 6.5 Shooter

Apollo 6 Creed
Supporter
Minuteman
May 29, 2018
League City, TX
So Ive am new to doing my own barrels. Just finished my first one yesterday. Question I have is after cutting external receiver threads how do you clean them up. I use a file to knock off sharp top. Scotch brite pad. Do you ise anything to clean up the deepest part of grooves

Attachments

• 89A59B99-C2D1-4118-89D2-314E5F08C350.jpeg
    89A59B99-C2D1-4118-89D2-314E5F08C350.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: Makinchips208
Normally you don't have to.
*If* you have any burrs in there you can put it back on the lathe and use like 400'ish paper folded in half so both sides are grit and just let the lathe do the work.
Be gentle though and don't change the threads by over doing it.

If your tool is right, there should be no clean up... While it is chucked up, should you see a burr, you might use a miniature file (like a thread file) or one a jeweler uses to clean up a nick.

Reactions: 308pirate
Looks like a nice first barrel. Don't obsess over mirror smooth thread surface finish. Most use a file to knock off or flatten the thread crest - makes it less vulnerable to damage and the flank does all the work.