• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cleaning Jag Size Question...

Horseheadman

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
MO
Anybody make their own? I know they're inexpensive but I'm just curious. I need one for my 50 and I've found them online. I can make one faster than It'll take to get here and It's just something to do. My 30 cal jag measures .250". Is .060" per side clearance needed for the patch? And, I would think the clearance would decrease if the bore increases...just thinking. Any preferences on types of jags too? Like knurled versus the angle stepped type? ...(the latter is my preference)

I've often thought how convenient it would be to have a lathe ( something small) to be able to do some small jobs like that.
Some years ago I wondered why jags weren't made out of aluminum. No false readings and a softer metal to boot.
And you could drill the front of the jag to accept a small sharp steel pin which would pierce the patch much easier.
Also you can make the the jag fit the patch and barrel instead of the other way around.

Last edited: