• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Kit Recommendations

CoriolisEffect

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2020
    Midwest
    I know gun cleaning products, particularly the liquid chemical portion of it, often kick off heated debate among firearms owners, so I'm not really interested in going down the rabbit hole with this thread. I'm more interested in recommendations for the hardware side of things. I'm firmly in the camp of buy once, cry once, so feel free to suggest all price ranges.

I'm particularly interested in broad spectrum kits (such as this: https://shooters-choice.com/bullseye-box-universal-rifle-pistol-shotgun-cleaning-kit/) but would prefer to get some first hand input. The items purchased will need to be compatible for use with chrome lined steel, nitrided SS, and bare SS AR barrels in 5.56, 7.62, and 6.5CM. An added bonus would be 9mm.

TIA.

Last edited:
    Most kits are not great. You need a good one piece rod, a good jag set, solvent of choice, chamber brushes, and a set of nylon bore brushes for the bore. Also a bore guide will save your barrel. A set of picks and good brushes can do the rest. I use a tipton rod, Dewey is also good. Below is a quick amazon search for stuff similar to what I have been using. I would get an extra nylon brush in 9mm and 44 cal to use as chamber brushes for the cartridges you have listed.
    Cleaning rod - Pick the right cal and length for you
    Jag set
    Brushes
    Bore guide - This is for your AR-15, AR-10 would need another
    Picks
    General Brushes - careful with the bronze and stainless, a nylon only set might be better but this will make sure you have something that will always work.
    For BCG's, an ultrasonic makes life much easier. Also, dollar general has a cheap storage set that has enough room for most everything to keep it all together. A pair of scissors is nice to have as well to cut patches.

For the OP... your linked kit looks like a good starting point.

I will say, you will probably grow out its space probably pretty quickly, with the added gadgets you will accrue ( bore guides, different cleaners etc )

And my cleaning kits slowly evolve into mild tool kits.... spare critical parts kits.... and it sure would be handy to have a flashlight, magnifying glass.... etc.

That said... I have found this extra case quite handy. The "built in / storeable " rifle cradle parts have been very useful in the field.

I know it looks big now... but a few rattle cans and boreguides later, it won't be.

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-1612-Water-Resistant-Field/dp/B08JDS97VX

Last edited:
    I personally like the BoreTech rods, no copper jags, and nylon brushes.
    I used a 21st Century bore guide.

Any brand mop….don’t use them much but they are nice for soaking the throat in carbon remover to avoid the dreaded ring.

Not sure what else you would want that would be included in the kit beyond this

Reactions: CoriolisEffect
    Bore snake, toothbrush, long q-tips and a rag is what I use most often. When I need to really clean the barrel I use one of the cleaning rods mentioned above and a bore guide

I personally like the BoreTech rods, no copper jags, and nylon brushes.
    I used a 21st Century bore guide.

Any brand mop….don’t use them much but they are nice for soaking the throat in carbon remover to avoid the dreaded ring.

Not sure what else you would want that would be included in the kit beyond this
    I ended up going with the BoreTech system so I wouldn't have to worry about false positive due to the jags or brushes 👍

I'll also be picking up a PMA 2-piece bore guide per the recommendation of my gunsmith.

Reactions: Baron23
    Mike Lucas Bore Guides
    Bore-Tech Cleaning Rods
    Bore-Tech Proof Positive Jags
    Bore-Tech Benchmark Bronze brush

Mike Lucas Bore Guides
    Bore-Tech Cleaning Rods
    Bore-Tech Proof Positive Jags
    Bore-Tech Benchmark Bronze brush
    Mike Lucas doesn't make guides anymore, that's actually why my 'smith recommended PMA because they are the most similar.