• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Cleaning New Lee Dies

Crush

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2021
United States
I bought a set of four new Lee dies for 6.5cm. The machining looks ok but they didn't clean them off of the mill - covered in oil mixed with black crap and tiny metal chips.

What's the best way to clean them? Soap, water and ultrasonic cleaner and then dry and oil them?

Reactions: Snuby642
Maybe some carb or brake cleaner then the ultrasonic? No ammonia in it.

+1 on the disk brake cleaner.

One caveat to that is to ONLY use the non chlorinated kind. It comes in the green can at the auto parts store.

It's also excellent for cleaning up old guns with lots of old oil and grime on them.

I'm pretty sure the chlorinated stuff went away 20 years ago. Unless someone has a stash?
I think all the new dies are sprayed with something like cosmolene as a preservative. Any solvent type cleaner will work.
I keep a jug of kerosene around for stuff like that.

After reloading more than 70 cartridges I clean my dies with brake cleaner, work quite well. i lightly oil them with rem oil after they are cleaned no lube is required for neck sizing with collet die, but is necessary for full length case sizing.

I'm pretty sure the chlorinated stuff went away 20 years ago.

There is a ton of it out there. Pretty much on every auto parts store shelf.

That said the one below is the one I use. I keep a couple of cans on hand but they can be purchased at any Autozone. It also will not hurt polymers (such as in handguns etc).

I got them clean with brake cleaner. They now look like they should have from the factory. Lol. Thanks for the replies!
After the brake cleaner, did you run them thru the ultrasonic as well?