• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning old dies. Light rust

savagemann

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2014
www.citizengearco.com
I have some old custom rcbs dies in 6.5x257R that I got about 25+ years ago to load for a rechambered Arisaka.

I haven't used them in ages and want to work on a new load.
I busted the dies out and there is a little light rust on them. Very light.
I don't mind a little patina on the outside, but want to clean the insides, especially the sizing die.

Suggestions on what to use?
Was thinking either steel wool with some oil, or maybe copper chore boy that I have on hand and usually use for heavy lead removal.

Maybe spin some onto a bore brush and chuck into a drill?

What says ye?

I use 0000 steel wool and it works just fine. Slick some oil on em afterwards and they are good as new.

The rust will be gone with most anything you use before you alter the die, just don’t put it on a steel rod etc. that could scratch the die.

I use 0000 steel wool and it works just fine. Slick some oil on em afterwards and they are good as new.

The rust will be gone with most anything you use before you alter the die, just don’t put it on a steel rod etc. that could scratch the die.
That’s what I use

Reactions: savagemann
The best rust remover in the business is Naval Jelly (rust dissolver) usually available from hardware or building supply stores. This is heavy duty and does the job. I've used it on a few rusted dies. Will leave the metal dullish after use but better than rusted, scratched or pitted. It rinses with water and more than one application may be needed, one right after another.

Reactions: savagemann