• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Cleaning optics

GlockBlock

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
Houston, TX
What do you all use for cleaning optic lenses? Is there a preferred lens pen or 50/50 alcohol and H2O wiped with a lint free cloth or what is your preferred method?

If you have a "field" method and a "bench top" method I'd like to hear both.

Thanks in advance.

I like to use distilled water when it's convenient or if there are a lot of course particles on the lens, in the field, I use whatever compact cleaning kit, or lens pen I have handy.

Lens pens work great in the field or the shop.
In the field I blow it out with my breath before brushing, in the shop/home I might use dust-off compressed air if it's handy but breath is always available.
One great advantage of the lens pen is how easily one can clean a recessed lens from edge to edge, like an objective behind a sun shade.
I keep several around, one in the range bag, one in the shop, one in the safe, one in my office, wherever I might need one.
Cheap, effective, and safe when used properly.

Joe

Last edited:
Bench top method I use 100% acetone. Field method I use water

100% Acetone?
2lmlxme.gif

Last edited: