• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning out your Trigger with Lighter Fluid

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    During our recent Precision Rifle Class with MHSA, we had a ton of wind and even more sand. The sand was so bad in fact it crippled my MacBook Pro.

So my rifle was out in the sand the entire time with the bolt open. By the end of the weekend the trigger was not working 100% about every 3rd bolt lift the firing pin would drop. So I had to clean out the trigger to clear the sand from it.

Here is a video from the class

Better put a disclaimer in there that it is not advisable to use a match to flash off the excess lighter fluid or..........

someone will think to do so.

On second thought don't. Maybe they will video it.

C15E8C0C-E0AE-4327-A9A9-437ADDF5CBAD.jpeg

Reactions: waveslayer
    Better put a disclaimer in there that it is not advisable to use a match to flash off the excess lighter fluid or..........

someone will think to do so.

On second thought don't. Maybe they will video it.

My favorite is the little illustration on the side of 5 gallon mud/paint buckets imploring (in multiple languages) people to not let their babies climb in and drown......And, the target audience has voting rights...

Frank, what if you took the bolt out of the action, stowed it in your holster, and put your rod guide in it's place. Keeps most of the sand out of the action if you're going to be looking at a lot of down time in between firing.

ETA: but yeah, I like to use air first if possible, then ronsonol, then blow that out with air again. Works well, and the word is that the fluid leaves just a tiny film to help with corrosion.

-Nate

I just blast the trigger with Gun Scrubber, and while it's still dripping, I add ONE drop of Hoppe's oil. By the time it all evaporates, there's a micro-layer of lube evenly distributed through the trigger. There needs to be that little smidgen of oil in there to protect against corrosion.

Hoppe's Gun Medic is along the same lines, like a spray CLP; but I think it leaves a bit more oil behind than I like.

The Gun Medic is all I use for cleaning my semi handgun.

Greg

Whatever Greg. You just like to snuggle up to that trigger and be able to smell soft notes of Hoppe's while you shoot.

-Nate