• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Cleaning question to AICS 1.5 owners

bruce3

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
Im thinking of putting my rem 700 into a AICS but can decided whether to go with a 1.5 or a 2.0. One of my main concerns is cleaning. I heard the 1.5 requires the cleaning rod to be bent because of the stock. Anyone encounter this problem?

Re: Cleaning question to AICS 1.5 owners

It takes just a few seconds to back the screws out of the cheekpiece, pop it out, and back out the top stockpad screw and push it aside. The folder is probably more convenient but not for the $ difference for me.

Justin

do you get a straight shot with your cleaning rod or do you have to bend it? i would imagine the cleaning rod handle get in the way of lining the rod up to the bore because the stock is rather straight.

With the folder, you will also be able to fit the rifle in a smaller case.

With the 1.5, removal of the adjustable cheekpiece is necessary to properly clean the rifle. Like Justin said...it is a quick process to remove the cheekpiece for cleaning. I put a couple of white marks on my cheekpiece metal risers so that I know exactly where to tighten down the screws each time I remove the cheekpiece so I don't have to play the guessing game getting my cheekweld just right each time. No "bending" of the cleaning rod is necessary with the cheekpiece removed.

I prefer the 2.0 just because you don't have to fool with all of that...just fold the stock out of the way, remove the bolt, clean away. Plus I can get a 26" barreled LA rifle in a Stage 2.0 into a 36" Pelican/Storm case with it folded. Saves weight on the case and 1.5ft in case length for ease of transport.

how long is the part that folds?

With the cheek piece removed the cleaning rod will travel straight through the bore.

I have both a 1.5 and 2.0. The 2.0 is the better choice if you want the spent the money, however, the 1.5 is fine as long as you can re-install the cheek-piece at the same height <span style="text-decoration: underline">every</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">time</span>! I cut some Delrin rods and dropped them into the holes for the cheek piece shafts. That way all you have to do is re-attached the riser, push it down until it rests on the spacers and tighten the lock screws. I also recommend you replace the factory lock screw with the knurled knob version.

I like the 1.5. Just get the thumb screws from Adam Bauer and you can remove the cheek peice in 3 seconds and put it back a the same height in 5 seconds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thumbhole stocks suck </div></div>

hater

I was in your same shoes trying to decide on an AI AE 1.5 or 2.0. I went with the 2.0 simply because you have more options. You can fold it up for storage and save space, you can get a smaller case for transport etc. I have heard too many stories of guys who buy the 1.5 only to try to trade them for the 2.0.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burce3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my main concerns is cleaning. I heard the 1.5 requires the cleaning rod to be bent because of the stock. Anyone encounter this problem? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the cheek piece removed the cleaning rod will travel straight through the bore.</div></div>

I don't have an AICS but have a non-folding AW.

You have to take the cheekpiece off to clean (no problem there) but if you have a rod with a "standard" size handle (like the Bore Stix, Dewey, Tetra or PH for example) you'll have problems on any but the longest rods as the handle will be too big to pass over the stock without bending the rod.

I use a 42" Pro Shot rod so it goes all the way thru and does not need to be bent for just this reason as the handle is really thin .

I'd say.....GET THE FOLDER (or a very long cleaning rod)!!

Simple easy solution:

Buy a pair of adjustable cheekpiece screws, and an Accuracy International cleaning kit.
wink.gif

www.AccuracyInternationalSRT.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simple easy solution:

Buy a pair of adjustable cheekpiece screws, and an Accuracy International cleaning kit.
wink.gif

www.AccuracyInternationalSRT.com</div></div>

Err...got those.

Am I missing your point?

Not sure how having those affects the height of the stock relative to the bore? That is fixed.

It is what makes cleaning a fixed stock with a "normal" handled rod difficult as even with a long rod and the cheekpiece removed you are still going to have to run the handle over the rear of the stock to get the jag/mop all the way through (I know this as the rod I use is 42" and my AW has a 26" barrel + AW Muzzle Brake + the length of the action and the stock up to the rear of the actio (48" in total if memory serves). And that means bending the rod if you don't have a folding stock.

Would be delighted to hear how the parts you mention get round this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DR800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both a 1.5 and 2.0. The 2.0 is the better choice if you want the spent the money, however, the 1.5 is fine as long as you can re-install the cheek-piece at the same height <span style="text-decoration: underline">every</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">time</span>! I cut some Delrin rods and dropped them into the holes for the cheek piece shafts. That way all you have to do is re-attached the riser, push it down until it rests on the spacers and tighten the lock screws. I also recommend you replace the factory lock screw with the knurled knob version. </div></div>

Really good idea!

i find the butt pad also pushes up slightly on the cleaning rod on a 1.5. i have both a 1.5 and 2.0 and i will buy the 2.0 from now on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i find the <span style="font-weight: bold">butt pad also pushes up slightly on the cleaning rod on a 1.5. </span>i have both a 1.5 and 2.0 and i will buy the 2.0 from now on. </div></div>

What he said!

As for removing and reinstalling the cheekpiece on a 1.5-I cut two little pieces of fuel line that had an I.D. that matches the diameter of the cheekpiece's posts to the proper length and slipped them over the posts. Now I pull the cheekpiece out, and drop it back in at the right height-everytime!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for removing and reinstalling the cheekpiece on a 1.5-I cut two little pieces of fuel line that had an I.D. that matches the diameter of the cheekpiece's posts to the proper length and slipped them over the posts. Now I pull the cheekpiece out, and drop it back in at the right height-everytime!</div></div>

Brilliantly simple....now why couldn't I have thought of that!
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies, im leaning towards a 2.0 but what concerns me about that set up is the hinge. Has anyones hinge gotten sloppy from use? Is there any vertical play in it?

I have the 1.5 only because in australia we cannot own folding stocks

Given the chance i would take the 2.0, even tho it is heavier.

The cheek piece in my opinion is not the issue... as it has been said, you can add silicone tubing to the rods inside the cheekpiece to create a stopping point to return you to your height should you remove the cheek piece...

My problem is that there is not 100% clearance for the cleaning rod because the buttpad just touches the cleaning rod.

Either way, a 1.5 or 2.0 is a good choice and you will like it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burce3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies, im leaning towards a 2.0 but what concerns me about that set up is the hinge. Has anyones hinge gotten sloppy from use? Is there any vertical play in it? </div></div>

I have beat the hell out of a couple of mine and they do not have any "play" or "slop" in the hinge or folding portion of the stock. The hinge itself is very well made and sturdy. Unless you are using your stock as an entrenching tool, entry tool or otherwise "trying" to break it...you won't have any problems.

I have to remove the cheek rest and I remove the top screw of the butt pad and rotate it down out of the way.

I guess its not really that big a deal, how often do you really clean your rifle anyway?

Provided im not worrying about moisture or anything like that getting into the barrel, it doesnt get cleaned all that often.