• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning question

LR338nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2009
Umitilla County, Or
I just picked up a used Rem 504T in great condition.
Can anyone tell me who makes a bore guide for it? Or is it necessary to use one? Could I get away with a bore snake?

Re: Cleaning question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't bore snake anything you care about. </div></div>
I recently picked up a MarkII BTV and am quite pleased with the performance. The Rimfirecentral crowd talked me into a boresnake for the rifle, now after reading your last post Im second guessing the decision. Any recommendations?

Here is Lilja's advice on cleaning rimfire barrels:

Cleaning Rimfire Barrels
Rimfire rifle barrels are different from centerfire barrels in that they require very little cleaning and essentially no break-in procedure. We have asked several of the top rimfire shooters and gunsmiths that use our barrels about their procedures and based on our own experience, have come up with our recommendation for cleaning.

In a match-grade stainless steel hand-lapped barrel, leading is an almost nonexistent problem. Powder fouling is minimal too. It is possible however to have an accumulation of fouling in the leade area in front of the chamber. A build up here is detrimental to top accuracy.

We suggest cleaning in the following manner. After approximately 100 rounds push a dry loose patch through the barrel from the breach end. This pushes out loose fouling. Then take a tighter dry patch and work it back and forth about 10 times in the leade area, pushing it out of the barrel at the muzzle end when finished.

Every 200-300 rounds a loose (worn out) 22 caliber bronze brush, wet with solvent, should be worked back and forth in the leade area with short strokes and withdrawn from the chamber end. If there is any evidence of lead in the barrel then brushing the full length of the barrel with solvent is suggested.

Match quality bullets have a wax coating on them that aids accuracy. It may take 10-50 shots to "lay" a good coating of it down in the barrel and using solvents will only remove this desirable wax coating.

Users of the 10/22-type semi-auto barrels may have to remove the accumulated powder fouling buildup that forms on the breach end of the barrel. Extraction problems may result eventually unless solvent is used on this type of fouling.

I was advised early on in my shooting experience that it pays to have a .22LR chamber reamer, and to use it periodically (and very gentle-like) to chase out the lead accumulation that normally forms in the front end of the chamber itself. This is in addition to the leade accumulations mentioned above, and is why new barrels will often gradually become a tad less accurate after their initial debut.

Greg

I use the weed whacker string approach that I learned about on RFC. It does a great job in cleaning the bore. Puling a soaked patch and some dry ones through the bore is very fast and efficient.

For the chamber I just use plastic bristled jag.

Greg L

I like the bore guide method using a bore guide(lucas guides are the best), jag, patch and a good rod. I use a nylon brush on the chamber and leade area first and then 2 wet patchs, let it set for a few minutes, then dry patch about 3 times. This is done after 1 ARA target so it gets cleaned 6 times during a match.
I use a 50/50 mixture of shooters choice and kroil.

larryj

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't bore snake anything you care about.

Check if Mike Lucas makes a bore guide for your rifle.

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm </div></div>

+1 on not using a bore snake.....just wait till one breaks in your barrel. or....just the thought of constantly dragging the same crap back through your barrel that you just took out, unless you throughly clean/wash the bore snake after every pass. you don't need a bore guide if you use an Otis kit. i've had my Otis since they came out and use nothing else.