• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing cleaning rem 700 trigger group

gau17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Valencia
Can anyone tell me how to clean a rem 700 trigger group? can I just soak the entire thing in solvent? What lube works best?

Thank you in advance.

Re: cleaning rem 700 trigger group

Ronsons lighter fluid will clean and lube your trigger,nothing else needed or recomended!

thanks ackleyfan. do just soak the entire thing?

Soak it....throw it in a tub of lighter fluid and come back the next day. Shake it in the cleaner, soak, shake, etc. I use an ultrasonic but this will be the next best thing.

Sometimes I will blow mine out with compressed air between soakings.

Keydiver has it right, soak or just squirt some into and on the trigger, lighter fluid is cheap,this method is used by all the benchresters using jewell triggers,once it drys it will leave your trigger clean and will prevent rust.. never oil or lube any trigger, your just asking for trouble.. good luck!

another question, sorry, didn't mean to highjack the thread.

how often should I clean the trigger, and what are the signs to pay attention to that I need to clean the trigger?

Thank you very much,

Dyl..

I bought a used Model 7 once. It was a good deal and shot great, once I replaced the trigger. The guy evidently sprayed WD40 in the trigger housing before/after every hunt and the thing was so gummed up it couldn't be cleaned. As for how often to clean, I would let how hard I was on the rifle dictate that.

Lighter fluid is Naptha. So is the highly refined Coleman's lantern fluid. One gallon of that will last you about 200 years when cleaning triggers. JMHO

Easy to do, when ever you clean your rifle, or maybe every second cleaning!

I've squirted down my X-mark with zippo cleaner, and now the stuff they put over the screw heads has dissolved...is that a 2-fer, or should I reapply a dot of glue/fingernail polish to stop it from (potentially) moving?