• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cleaning requirements for bolt guns vs ARs

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
Quite possibly a dumb question and I know this will solicit a lot of opinions.

I'm new to the bolt-gun craze and just got a Savage 10FCP in .308. I've run a Otis nylon rod with brass brush, Hoppes no. 9 and patches and left it dry with the bolt removed. I'm used to cleaning ARs so I don't understand the differences in cleaning requirements. I've heard about needing a bore guide. Why? Anything else I should be aware of?

My Savage and AR-10 are my babies so I want to make sure I take care of them both but not the same way if they're different.

Re: Cleaning requirements for bolt guns vs ARs

the search function is your best friend, im afraid you just opened a whole new can of worms

I did do a few searches and nothing specifically on this subject. I did browse a few other "cleaning" topics and got bits and pieces that I was looking for, but still some unanswered questions. If I missed it, I apologize.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quite possibly a dumb question and I know this will solicit a lot of opinions.

I'm new to the bolt-gun craze and just got a Savage 10FCP in .308. I've run a Otis nylon rod with brass brush, Hoppes no. 9 and patches and left it dry with the bolt removed. I'm used to cleaning ARs so I don't understand the differences in cleaning requirements. I've heard about needing a bore guide. Why? Anything else I should be aware of?

My Savage and AR-10 are my babies so I want to make sure I take care of them both but not the same way if they're different. </div></div>

I recommend the Lucas bore guide. The reason behind the bore guide is to do exactly what it states.

When you insert the bore guide into the action this will center your one piece cleaning rod down the barrel of your rifle. Notice how I said center? Your cleaning rod with the Lucas bore guide will never touch the rifling of your barrel or crown. A ding in the rifling or crown will result in accuracy problems.

What's the last thing that bullet touches as it exists the rifle? The crown. Using the bore guide prevents you from sliding a rod against your crown or rifling.

hope that clarifies things.
-.brian

So if I have one of those pull-through, nylon-coated, flexible rods that you get in the Otis field kits, do I still need a bore guide?

Does anyone have a better contact for Mike Lucas? I emailed him but haven't got a response.

Make damn sure to break it in correctly. Then let your rifle tell you how often to clean.
I can't remember when I last cleaned my bore. I run a dry patch through it after every hunt though.

Your rifle will show you what it likes

Keith

AZ,
Thanks! That brings up another question.

I took the AR-10 to the range and did 7 rounds through it with the break-in procedure. Then I had to leave. I haven't gotten to the "5 rounds, then clean" portion of the procedure. Would you recommend going through the "1 round, then clean" part or just continue from where I left off? I don't have a solid understanding of exactly what the break-in procedure is doing to the barrel and I'd like to understand better. Thanks!

I have not got the Savage out yet.

the break in process is said to knock down the lands a grooves, similar to lapping it. If it is a quality barrel it will have more than likely been lapped at wherever it was built. I think that you will be just fine if you just go out and shoot it, clean it when the accuracy drops off.