• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Cleaning Rimfire Suppressor

YTALER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
dayton, Ohio
www.themat.com
Sorry if this is a Newb question and if there are a couple hundred other posts like it I appologize in advance. I have to clean my TacSol Cascade for the first time and could use any suggestions from those more experienced. Thanks in advance.

Re: Cleaning Rimfire Suppressor

hot soapy water in a tuperware and let it soak for a few hours. It will get the worst of it. Cleaning an aluminum can is a task simply because of the products you cant use.

HOT HOT as in you can boil some water, let it sit for a few minutes after you take it off the burner, then throw your can in there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hot soapy water in a tuperware and let it soak for a few hours. It will get the worst of it. Cleaning an aluminum can is a task simply because of the products you cant use. </div></div>

If you have an ultrasonic machine try hot soapy water in it. That's what I used last time and it works quite well. Maybe 2-3 cycles and it was very clean.

MC, I've been thinking about an ultrasonic cleaner anyways. Which one do you suggest ? I'd like to get the largest one possible. Once you clean it with the water do you spray it down with anything or just let it evaporate ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YTALER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once you clean it with the water do you spray it down with anything or just let it evaporate ? </div></div>

Let it dry, a lot of folks help it dry with blow dryer or VERY light oven bake. Shooting a can wet should only be done intentionally by those who don't like their warranties.

Then, lube threads and reattach.

I thought I read somewhere that Ultra Sonic cleaners were a No-Go.. Hmmm, I may be wrong though.

DO NOT tumble with stainless media or use an ultrasonic cleaner....it's been PROVEN time and time again that it DOES damage aluminum baffles!

you can soak the baffles in Ballistol...then hit it with a stiff nylon brush... or Hoppes 9....leave it wet when you reinstall the baffles and it'll be easier to clean the next time.

but the ULTIMATE way, and safest, is to use a soda blaster. It won't remove the VERY important anodizing, but it will remove all of the powder and lead

Do you have any data to back up your statement about NOT using Stainless Media? Ive been using it for awhile now and have not noticed any dimensions that have changed, no rounded edges, pings, or dents from the stainless media.
Also, why do you say that "VERY important anodizing"? What is so important about the anodizing on a Baffle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DO NOT tumble with stainless media or use an ultrasonic cleaner....it's been PROVEN time and time again that it DOES damage aluminum baffles!

you can soak the baffles in Ballistol...then hit it with a stiff nylon brush... or Hoppes 9....leave it wet when you reinstall the baffles and it'll be easier to clean the next time.

but the ULTIMATE way, and safest, is to use a soda blaster. It won't remove the VERY important anodizing, but it will remove all of the powder and lead </div></div>

I'd like to hear more on the SS media. I've thought about it and know it will clean like a mofo, just not sure if there are any dangers..

Edit: Just read Jackalope's SS media thread. I can see some dangers but not using it to clean brass? Really???

See for yourself here.. No issues, or problems.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3484248

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 346ci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to hear more on the SS media. I've thought about it and know it will clean like a mofo, just not sure if there are any dangers.. </div></div>

Well my can has about 1500 rnds through it now, when it came apart at 200 for an inspection, I could barely get the crap off the baffles with a wire brush. Now at 1500 rnds, I'm thinking the dip or SS media is my only hope. I really don't want to do the dip....

Im surprised you can get the can apart after 1500 rounds LOL!! Buy the stainless media tumbler, you wont regret it. Did you see my before and after photos on the link i posted? Can you post some pics of your can here?

I haven't tried to take it apart yet, lol. I have been using the SS for over a year and haven't seen any reduction in brass life, that is why I was wondering what that guy was talking about. I don't see any thing else on the market that will do such a awesome job on brass than SS....

Many of my buddies who were doing the walnut tumbler thing have long switched over to SS.

Edit: Got the can apart, what a bitch, caked full of crap, baffels will be cleaned in SS soon...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have any data to back up your statement about NOT using Stainless Media? Ive been using it for awhile now and have not noticed any dimensions that have changed, no rounded edges, pings, or dents from the stainless media.
Also, why do you say that "VERY important anodizing"? What is so important about the anodizing on a Baffle?</div></div>

manufactures saying it causes damage after time would be all I need to back it up. Bendersquint has done the test on baffles....he says it rounds the threads and edges on the baffles. I trust him over you.

"<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "Bendersquint"</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a manufacturer I will not recommend doing anything besides walnut blastings, you have been warned.

How much damage? Enough to make you concerned with suppression.

After how many cleanings? 1x 2 hour session caused damage on a test set of baffles and they were anodized.

Using SS pins, glass beads can't be used for tumbling.

Damage removed the anozing, smooths all the sharp edges and actually opened the bore up.

Won't prevent disassembly as it will make a looser fit.

Yes it will affect the suppression as some cans thrive on their sharp surfaces to aid in suppression.

If you tumbled it for 4 hours at a time several times a month our edges would all be removed and the dimensions would change.

1 - Yes I have noticed damage, I have tested this with several stacks, different materials and durations.
2 - I only cleaned the baffles like this for testing so I could post results here, I walnut blast aluminum baffles and bead blast SS baffles.
3 - Stainless steel pins and brass pins

If Gemtech upgrades your baffles you can't keep the aluminum baffles, you can only have 1 set of baffles per silencer.</div></div>

and it's very important because it keeps you blast baffle from erosion, makes the rest of the baffles easier to clean, and also keeps them from eroding early as well. do you REALLY think a company would bother anodizing the baffles if it didn't benefit them?

I call BS on alot of the "theories" in your post. I didnt know Aluminum eroded. There is no chemical in this process. Just soap n water n SS pins. Guess you missed the topic that I said I put TAPE around the threads to protect them. But, to each is own. Everyone who reads this will have to decide what works and whats BS. Pictures are worth a thousand words and I have plenty of them up. Those are pics have about 20hrs of SS Tumbling..
Would love to see some pics of this other suppressor that was damaged..

obviously you don't know who bendersquint is.....

but, yes, aluminum DOES erode from the the muzzle blast. You might not see it right away, but the blast is eroding everytime you shoot. Cleaning with the pins is also rounding the edges of the baffles. Keep doing it, you'll find out.

And call BS all you want, but after people that design, build, and sell suppressors suggest you NOT do something....I tend to listen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">obviously you don't know who bendersquint is..... <span style="color: #FF0000">Obviously not.. Hes not a member here on the Hide..</span>
but, yes, aluminum DOES erode from the the muzzle blast. You might not see it right away, but the blast is eroding everytime you shoot. Cleaning with the pins is also rounding the edges of the baffles. <span style="color: #FF0000">[color:#FF0000]No rounding here.. </span>Keep doing it, you'll find out.<span style="color: #FF0000"> Got 20 hours of SS Tumbling on my monocore. Not even the slightest of roundness. Still sharp as a knife.</span>[/color]
And call BS all you want, but after people that design, build, and sell suppressors suggest you NOT do something....I tend to listen. </div></div>

talk about a post going sideways... guys argue somewhere else.

YTALER- i have one from harbor freight. same everything but you don't pay alot for it. they have two that i am aware of mine is the bigger, item 95563, made by chicago. i've used it to clean brass, my cans and other things. for the sake of argument and if you care, pm me and i'll tell you my methods and what solution i use.

No arguing here. The OP asked a question, I gave him my methods and gave him the link to my pics for my thread. This is WHAT WORKS FOR ME.. Obviously it doesnt work for others lol..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">talk about a post going sideways... guys argue somewhere else.

YTALER- i have one from harbor freight. same everything but you don't pay alot for it. they have two that i am aware of mine is the bigger, item 95563, made by chicago. i've used it to clean brass, my cans and other things. for the sake of argument and if you care, pm me and i'll tell you my methods and what solution i use. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought I read somewhere that Ultra Sonic cleaners were a No-Go.. Hmmm, I may be wrong though.
</div></div>

Do not clean your aluminum can in your ultrasonic cleaner...don't ask me how I know
cry.gif

Whatever finish was applied to the aluminum can, externally or internally, will be removed by the ultrasonic cleaner.