• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Rod and Muzzle Crown

0V3RC10CK3D

Private
Minuteman
As I was cleaning my rifle I noticed a bump everytime I pull the rod out, after I realized what it was I wanted to kick myself. The tip of my dewey rod has a lip on it and it has been bumping into the crown everytime I pull the rod back through the rifle. Did I ruin it? Am I supposed to unscrew the tip everytime before I pull the rod back?

Here are pictures. Notice the raised area in the center of the cleaning tip, that's what's hitting
Fu9FL.jpg

Here's the Crown
7shiy.jpg

There's a couple places I feel look like dents but then it seems they're the spots where the rifling groves exit the barrel.

Re: Cleaning Rod and Muzzle Crown

Here is a little story. If you put a 5 dollar bill into a vending machine on something that is $4.75 and you go to grab the quarter first, well that is a problem.

OK I will simplify. Who cares about the $10 jag you are fucking up a $100 or more barrel. Picture isn't good enough on my end to see any damage but crown damage will have a negative effect for sure.

Sorry I thought it was implied that I would be replacing the jag after i found the problem. My question was if this has already warranted me to recrown the barrel after only a few cleaning sessions.

Go shoot it, check for accuracy. When you get home from the range, check the crown for an even blast deposit pattern. The star pattern should have even lines and be concentric, if not then I would take er in for a re-crown.

Pick up the Parker-Hale type jag. You wrap the patch and that will mitigate the chances of the jag hitting. It might be a pain, but after the jag/patch exits, I will pull the patch(on the first 2-3 anyways) and "lift/guide" the rod/jag back through until fully in the bore. If working the wrapped patch in the bore after you get the majority of gunk(first 2-3) out, I will keep the patch in the bore, Sinclair sells rod limiters if you want a mechanical aid for this.

If liking the pierce type jag, you can dress any sharp edges if you need to.

The crown is most likely okay. There's a reason the jags are brass and not steel. If the crown has a sharper edge (ie. plain 11 degree crowns) as opposed to a 45 degree crown at the inside bevel, then it may have raised a burr which would warrant recrowning. Follow Roggom's advice. I bet it's fine. I prefer to not pull the patch off the jag when I pull it back through the bore.

I prefer not to ever come back through the muzzle end with cleaning equipment. Get an otis and dont worry about this happening any more. You have gotten some good advice. Shoot it...check for accuracy degradation and pattern on end of barrel. If it looks uniform no worries. You could also get a magnifying glass or similar and get a closer look. Dont let the lands and groves fool you though

I would say your crown is fine. I have a hard time believing a soft material like brass id gonna dent, mar, or slightly scratch a steel barrel. Shoot it and I doubt there will be a problem.

Using the logic that brass can't hurt steel, then how does cutting paper dull a knife blade? Unless you are the type to over clean I don't believe any damage has been done if you've slowly drawn the jag back over the crown and as long as it has a 45 degree chamfer. A target crown with a sharp 90 degree edge on the other hand, all bets are off. At least that's my opinion.

I'm a rookie here, but I can testify that cutting paper dulls a knife because of all the other materials that are in the paper (clay,silica,binders,etc.) - it's not the paper.

Brass damaging molly steel like a barrel is made of is highly unlikely. I know that some of the highest purist here will disagree, but it can be proven by hammering a piece of brass against the edge of a piece of high quality steel. The brass will deform and if the steel shows any deformity it will be microscopic - truly needing a microscope to see. This is from hammering, not the light impact a jag might make while cleaning.

I'm not trying to trivialize this, I just don't see any reason to sweat this as being potentially damaging. Basic physics and metallurgy come into play here.

Further thoughts,
Given the other end of the barrel can see pressures of 50,000 PSI or more don't you think that would deform the chamber rather quickly. But we see it does not. There is a reason that brass is used from everything from jags to bullet casings - the brass deforms before the steel does.

Ain't metallurgy great?

Agreed. I'm going to try to get it out to the range today and see what happens.

As a counter argument, if you take a brass mallet and slammed it on a stainless steel knife blade that was extremely sharp, it would dent it. So it's not simply metal vs metal.

I'm crossing my fingers though!

0V3RC10CK3D, it looks like you have a rod made for .22 and a jag for 27 and up. Usually, the brass end and the jag should be exactly the same size. What cal is that jag for?

But to answer your question, the crown should be ok but if you have any question, have a gunsmith look at it. They shouldn't charge to asses it.

Really it is metal vs metal, you simply don't have enough mass in that jag or cleaning rod to deform your crown. Maybe after many, many thousand impacts - I still doubt it. You're good to go I'm sure.

Your analogy is good except you can't generate that kind of energy relative to the mass of the barrel and it's crown. I know others will disagree....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a little story. If you put a 5 dollar bill into a vending machine on something that is $4.75 and you go to grab the quarter first, well that is a problem. </div></div>

lol. that sounds like my old boss...

except he'd never spend $4.75 on anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">0V3RC10CK3D, it looks like you have a rod made for .22 and a jag for 27 and up. Usually, the brass end and the jag should be exactly the same size. What cal is that jag for? </div></div>

I swapped out my cleaning rod and jag yesterday for a .30-.44 rod and a .30 jag, I'll see if this combo is flush when I get home from work.

Didn't get a chance to go shooting though, wanted to test out my new timney trigger too. darn.
frown.gif

Also, good idea about taking it to a gunsmith for inspection. Thanks!

I take all my jags and chuck them in a drill, spin them whial holding sand paper around the base until the jag and rod or rod adapter is the same size. Works for me.