• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning rod question

Bryan W M

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
East KS
After seeing the 308 rods stuck in 6.5 barrels I thought I'd double check.

Can you use this in a 22 long rifle yes it says 22 just want to make sure.

20190121_103318.jpg

.22lr is about .224 diameter.......same as most other .22 cal projectiles....itll work

I utilize dewey rods and they recommend 20 cal rods for 22lr. They have a 22 cal rod labeled centerfire only. Good luck.

I just went through this and settled on a .20 cal rod. .17 or .20.

Just so haooen Dewey makes their rods for the 6.5 a .211 and WILL works but it’s close for comfort.

I am trying to get rid of my Dewey stuff and go all Boretech. They make rods caliber specific.

I utilize dewey rods and they recommend 20 cal rods for 22lr. They have a 22 cal rod labeled centerfire only. Good luck.

I wanna say the Dewey rod will still fit a .22lr, it's what I use but there are different jags I think. I have the .22 short rod and it works fine too, identical to the long one, only difference is with pistols and revolvers it's ideal to use the pistol caliber brush --it's shorter and maybe smaller and goes all the way through the barrel and frame in a J frame . Wanna say the patch loop is what you wanna use, may have to trim the patch but the jag may work, been a while. It's been awhile since I cleaned a full rifle barrel (one 10/22 is a 4" SBR now and the other is an integral w/4"bbl.). Only cleaned the integral one time, it does require the long rod to pass through the 12" suppressor tube, and pretty sure I just used the pistol brush and brass .22 loop.

They may have a dedicated one for each, wouldn't surprise me, but if the rod fits easy and the attachments as well, it's good to go. I didn't know about separate rods until just now. I do have a plethora of Dewey attachments though, it's about all I use. Though this Tipton or Hoppes carbon fiber rod that came with a rifle I got is easily as good as a Dewey and way lighter too.

So yeah, the rod fits but some attachments work better than others, just depends.

A .308 rod is usually what, .27? So yeah, a bit too big. I use a .22 rod for 6.5. A .224 rod is gonna be a bit under that so it doesn't fit tight, so that's why I say check it and see. Put a brass loop and adapter on it and try it out. Just don't force it, should just drop right in easy with zero resistance.

Another tool I use and make is to JB Weld a Dewey .22 threaded adapter fitting onto a piece of nylon coated cable I get at Ace. Get the (1/8"?) --the wire OD will be smaller than the overall OD with the nylon coating, which is just perfect for a .22. Strip back a 1/4" nylon and JB Weld. Now you have a pull through cable, just cut to length. Won't damage the barrel and it's just under the diameter of the Dewey fitting. I use 'em in field kits instead of GI rods. I make up Dewey field kits that fit in a small pouch, kinda like Otis kits. There's way's to make a T handle using this cable too. The .22 size works for all calibers up to .30.

Running a Vudoo suppressed gets things dirty quick. I clean because I forget to carry the rifle muzzle down and crap falls down the bore from my suppressor.

So the action gets dirty and gummed up so I just clean the whole thing.

Reactions: Mako13
After cleaning the barrel the next time out shooting it may take a few rounds to get the barrel slicked up to where it was shooting(zero,velocity)

My cleaning rods that fit my 223 are a very tight fit in my CZ 452 22lr, not a nice feeling having the cleaning rod scrape down the barrel!

As I have a 17hmr I use a .17cal rod in my 22lr and use a .20cal brush and jag, but you can get 22cal brushes with a 5/40 thread or use a 5/40 - 8/32 adapter.

Concur with those stating a 22 Dewey is NOT for rimfire. There's a reason Dewey tells you not to do it. It may fit in some barrels, but the rod will still grind it's way through the bore...and that's IF it doesn't get stuck.

I have both Dewey .22 and a 10X .17 cal rod. On the shorter barrel guns I use the 10x as the flex is minimized but I use the Dewey with a Dewey jag and/or brush on the rest with no issues.

20cal rods (Dewey or BoreTech) aren't going to flex enough to warrant even thinking about jamming a 22cal rod into any decent rimfire barrel.

If money is no object Jerry Stiller sells a melonited krypton rod for around $170.
The rod is extremely stiff so it won't bow inside the barrel.
They were a limited run item but he might have some still.

My Dewey .22 cal and up rod mics out at .199 on the brass ferrule and .197 on the coated rod. The jag used is important in this as well. Make sure you use an appropriate jag and the right size patch.

According to Vudoo, the hole in their bore guide is .187 so I would use a cleaning rod that matches that diameter.
Phil G

According to Vudoo, the hole in their bore guide is .187 so I would use a cleaning rod that matches that diameter.
Phil G
I can tell you for a fact that my Vudoo bore guide is .187. I use a .20-cal rod and .17-cal jag or brush which gives a snug patch-bore fit for both of my .22s and .223.

I use my Dewey .22 in my .22 rimfire and .223 it works awesome it does not feel like it is getting stuck or rubbing at all

I have a Dewey .17 rod...but you have to ease the jag back into the bore with your fingers, when you reverse the rod back.