• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cleaning rod size for .22

Cproflow

King of the Shank
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2011
Lyons, Colorado
I have been using my .22 rod that I use for my .223 Rem & 5.56. While it fits in my CZ455, it seems quite tight,and I'm wondering if the brass threaded collar is even scratching. I seems to keep getting 'blue' swabs out of it,and I only shoot Wolf. I'm wondering if I'm leaving bits of brass in there that subsequent swabs are cleaning out and showing blue. Jags and brushes are the Boretech nonreactive type. Cleaner is Boretech Eliminator.

Rod is a Tipton I believe. Should I be using a different size? I do need to pick up a bore guide. This is my only rifle without one. Any suggestions for one of those as well?

I have a 455 and had the same problem. I had to get a smaller rod that is designed for a .17 cal. the bore on the 455 is tighter than a normal 22 lr or 223. Hope this helps.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

For whatever it's worth, I've noticed that Ivy Rods uses two different sizes for 22 rimfire and 22 centerfire, .187" vs. .203". They also list the .187" rod for .20 caliber.

I really need to order one of these for the 452.

Ran into this same problem. Years ago I thought nothing of it but with the grade of 22 rimfire I am shooting now rather be safe than sorry. Especially knowing that with a 22 rimfire, most of your barrel wear will come from cleaning. I use a 17cal Dewey rod with a .20 cal jag. A good bore giude like Sinclair's is highly reccomended as well.