• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cleaning rod stuck !

mattman215

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2014
Arizona
So this is a first for me got my cleaning rod stuck in my barrel about 3/4,way down the barrel.

300wm in a brux barrel. Using a Dewey rubber coated cleaning rod and bore guide .27 brass jag and .30 cal patches off set. I thought my best bet was just tap it down the barrel since that was the shortest path and I couldn’t pull it out or push it by hand. so tapped the handle with an hammer and the jag came out clean no patch on the end so now it was stuck. Pulled with all my might with no success. So I put some pliers on the end and tapped the pliers with a hammer and the rod came out fairly easy from the breach patch fell out as well.

Ran out and shot it and it seems to still shoot one ragged hole. Think I have anything to worry about?

The rod has light scratches and marks on the rubber and the jag maybe had some blemishes. Hard to say if it already had them or not.

Am I over reacting?

I would think steel barrels should be tough but I also think banging rods down barrels is not healthy either.

Ok. So it still shoots fine? Sounds like a win to me.

Just don’t do that again. 416SS is pretty tough material. I wouldn’t make it a habit to get your cleaning rod stuck, but you’ll be hard pressed to hurt that barrel.

I shot one group of three at 100 as I was on borrowed time and it still shot fine, one ragged hole. Just makes me very nervous and upset I did that and perhaps I messed up the barrel somehow that will cause issues over time etc.

I shot one group of three at 100 as I was on borrowed time and it still shot fine, one ragged hole. Just makes me very nervous and upset I did that and perhaps I messed up the barrel somehow that will cause issues over time etc.
It’ll be fine most materials used in cleaning rods are made to be softer than barrel steal, I’ve done some pretty dumb shit and they always turned out to be okay. A bullet launches into that thing at 60kpsi

Thank you all for the reply took it out long range and it seems ok
Man what a terrible feeling
Do y’all recommend a cleaning rod that is smaller than the cal maybe a 22 rod for 30 cal rounds etc.

Reactions: raider1v1
When cleaning .22 cal barrels, I got tired of having to pick the best "side spiking" position on the patches to get the best fit. When I ran out of that bag of patches, I tried the triangle patches made by BoreSmith.

These patches seem to cover a spiked jag with a better fit without being too tight and running the risk of getting stuck in the barrel. The patch material has a good weave that does not fall apart of leave a lot of lint in the barrel.

BoreSmith Triangle Patches, Cal 22 thru 27, Premium Gun Cleaning Patches
BoreSmith Triangle Patches, Cal 27 thru 35, Premium Gun Cleaning Patches
BoreSmith Triangle Patches, Cal 35 thru 58, Premium Gun Cleaning Patches

41QvYCg0CTL._AC_.jpg

I could have tried the Parker Hale jags, but I already had a bunch of the Bore Tech no trace and Pro Shot Trace Eraser spiked jags, which are better for using with solvents like BoreTech Eliminator.

Reactions: BillyBob13
Are you sure that it wasn’t just one round making the one hole and the other two missed the paper completely?

There are two types of people that clean their rifles.

There are those that have occasionally got the cleaning rod stuck in the barrel. The others lie about it.

Jeezus. Every time with an untried type of patches. “Is this going to get irretrievably stuck?”

Are you sure that it wasn’t just one round making the one hole and the other two missed the paper completely?

There are two types of people that clean their rifles.

There are those that have occasionally got the cleaning rod stuck in the barrel. The others lie about it.
Haha we are gonna go with one ragged hole makes me feel better.