• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Sequence

Chiller

Minuteman
  • Dec 18, 2008
    Sole resident of Mt. Crumpit.
    Trying to come up with a way to short circuit this process. Would like to combine processes of de-priming and sizing (currently use the Lee de-prime die) would also like to take out one of the cleaning (using SS method) any thoughts? Would like to spend time practicing and not making bullets.

De-Prime Brass
    Anneal Brass
    Clean Brass
    Size Brass
    Trim Brass
    Clean Brass
    Load Primer
    Load Powder
    Load Bullet

Re: Cleaning Sequence

Lube, De-Prime and FL Size Brass
    Anneal Brass
    Trim Brass
    Tumble Brass
    Load Primer
    Load Powder
    Load Bullet

Chiller, unless the round is a really hot hot wildcat it shouldn't require trimming nor annealing after each firing. If you wouldn't mind using a progressive you could de-cap, re-size, run a mandrel all in one stroke, then clean the cases for priming, charging, and bullet seating. Priming and seating are done in separate operations.

Yes, dirty brass will mess up a die.

Are you running a 308?

Personally, I have found annealing to be a waste of time and energy.

Lube
    FL size/deprime with bushings, expander ball in garbage
    SS clean/ dry
    trim on giraud trimmer
    Prime
    Charge
    Seat

I have 6 firings on Winchester brass, on number 8 I throw it into a big bag of mixed brass for zombie ammo.

I use SS media. For FULL case prep, my procedure/sequence is:

Deprime
    clean
    Anneal
    Size
    Trim
    Debur
    Primer pocket
    Flash hole
    Neck turn
    Clean

Ready to load

I dont like to run dirty brass into my dies, and you can much more easily see whats going on when you anneal brass that is clean vs. dirty.

I Anneal only at the start of new batch of brass will be good for 10 - 15 reloads maybe more. get it out of the way no need for lapua they do it at the factory.

1. clean by large batch
    2. decap and resize 1 operation.
    3. Trim if neccesary, again I do by the batch ...only needs done peridically. I check every few times loaded if brass is growing I retrim the whole batch.
    3. prime by the batch
    4.powder
    5 seat bullet

For my reloads:

deprime
    SS tumble
    Anneal
    Size
    Trim,chamfer,deburr
    Load

Chiller, you should be able to size and deprime at the same time. Most sizing dies should come with a depriming pin so that you can do the procedure in one motion. I choose not to since I clean and then anneal prior to sizing.

Or you can SS tumble without depriming, anneal, size and deprime with your sizing die.

But then you'll have to clean out your primer pockets afterwards on your own. Not really that difficult, I just chuck up my tool in a drill and give each pocket a quick spin and they're clean.

If you're worried about getting the lube off after sizing, I use a microfiber cloth and just wipe off the imperial and it's good to go.

I like to anneal after tumbling because it also dries my brass faster. I don't think it's necessary to clean after annealing or after sizing and triming. One clean should do it and depending on the cartridge you'll have less risk of peening the case mouths after you chamfer them.

Brass prep:
    Tumble with corn media
    Lube
    Size/deprime
    20 min tumble to get all lube off
    trim/chamfer/deburr in Gracey if needed
    prime and bag so brass is ready when I need to load

Loading ammo:
    drop powder charge
    seat bullet

Tried annealing a few years back. Never saw a need or any benefit so stopped.

I do portions of the prep process in bulk and in advance and then when I go to load I have fewer steps for the individual load.

These two I do every other firing in bulk:

Anneal Brass
    Trim Brass

These parts I do every firing in bulk, and then stage the now fully-prepped brass for loading.

de-Prime Brass
    Clean Brass
    Load Primer

These steps I do immediately before loading:

Size Brass (imperial wax wipe clean)
    Load Powder
    Load Bullet

Since the brass is completely prepped in bulk lots before I start loading, the time needed for the actual process of sizing the brass and loading the ammo is pretty reduced, compared with doing it all at the same time.

I buy and use bulk brass lots (roughly 250 cases per lot) When that lot is showing significant aging, I toss the whole lot into the recycle bin and prep new brass, again in bulk lots.

Jeffvn

Tumble,

F/L resize and decap,

Retumble, inspect flash holes, prime,

Drop, weigh and adjust charge,

Seat.

I don't trim, always single feed, and since my cases are F/L resized; any cartridge that chambers hard is considered to have a case neck of a suspect length, and held aside instead of firing. If several in the same batch exhibit this, all cases are measuresd for length before reloading.

Overlength cases are culled and the others are considered to be on their last reloading. If the primer pockets are not loose, after firing I may ask a friend to trim them in return for other favors, and return the cases to regular service.

All cases intended for semi's are measured for length after resizing. The only semi I reload for is my Garand.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brass prep:
    Tumble with corn media
    Lube
    Size/deprime

Loading ammo:
    drop powder charge
    seat bullet

</div></div>

How many times do you fire your cases before retiring them Rob?
    And does Hornady mail you the bags of free, new brass or have Miss USA contestants hand deliver them?

photo-USA.jpg

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do portions of the prep process in bulk and in advance and then when I go to load I have fewer steps for the individual load.

These two I do every other firing in bulk:

Anneal Brass
    Trim Brass

These parts I do every firing in bulk, and then stage the now fully-prepped brass for loading.

de-Prime Brass
    Clean Brass
    Load Primer

These steps I do immediately before loading:

Size Brass (imperial wax wipe clean)
    Load Powder
    Load Bullet

Since the brass is completely prepped in bulk lots before I start loading, the time needed for the actual process of sizing the brass and loading the ammo is pretty reduced, compared with doing it all at the same time.

I buy and use bulk brass lots (roughly 250 cases per lot) When that lot is showing significant aging, I toss the whole lot into the recycle bin and prep new brass, again in bulk lots.

Jeffvn </div></div>

+1

Shoot
    deprime
    resize (this is a 2-3 step process for me depending on which rifle I am loading for.)
    trim
    clean
    brush the inside of the neck
    lube and buff inside neck
    prime
    powder
    seat bullet
    repeat 3-4x

then add a clean and anneil to the above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brass prep:
    Tumble with corn media
    Lube
    Size/deprime

Loading ammo:
    drop powder charge
    seat bullet

</div></div>

How many times do you fire your cases before retiring them Rob?
    And does Hornady mail you the bags of free, new brass or have Miss USA contestants hand deliver them?

photo-USA.jpg

laugh.gif
    </div></div>

Keep firing them until the primer holes loosen up.

Been using the same .243 brass for 4 years and on 6 reloads with them although like all my brass I usually lose them at matches before I get to the actual end of life of them. I only shoot it at matches but started with 500 cases and I am down to about 275 now.

I use my once fired .308 cases to reload for that off of my factory 168 AMAX loads. Same for the Creedmoor. Just keep loading them from there when needed.

No Miss USA contestants yet but who knows for the future
    wink.gif

Chiller, this was your original thread procedure:

De-Prime Brass
    Anneal Brass
    Clean Brass
    Size Brass
    Trim Brass
    Clean Brass
    Load Primer
    Load Powder
    Load Bullet

Now what do you think?

You can see annealing and trimming are often unnecessary. And you can use your turret press like a progressive. It looks like you got your answer??

Sometimes I think we put more time responding than the thread beginners do in replying to our responses.

Polish

Size/Deprime

Polish

Trim

Load

Shoot

Repeat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep firing them until the primer holes loosen up. </div></div>

Or until a case gets a crack or show signs of insipient case head separation.

Lube

Resize, deprime, with no expander ball

Trim and anneal every 4th or 5th firing

Clean with stainless steel

All the above is done way ahead of time and I only do the following right before I shoot.

Expand with neck mandrel if needed

Prime

Charge

Seat

I'm lazy.Unless it's rainy out and the brass has gotton muddy I don't clean first.I just spray with compressed air.Haven't worn out any dies or noticed any problems with die damage.Then...

lube
    resize/deprime
    trim every other firing
    SS media clean
    and so on...

I used to clean then anneal so I could see what was happening but anymore I just anneal the cases dirty because I know the duration and flame length for each cartrdge with my fancy annealing machine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot
    deprime
    resize (this is a 2-3 step process for me depending on which rifle I am loading for.)
    trim
    clean
    prime
    powder
    seat bullet
    repeat 3-4x

</div></div>

Tell us more about buffing the inside of the necks please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot
    deprime
    trim
    clean
    prime
    powder
    seat bullet
    repeat 3-4x

</div></div>

Tell us more about buffing the inside of the necks please. </div></div>

I start by using a cordless drill with a bore brush attached. In the bristles I have wound a little steel wool. This knocks down any crude and gives a little smoother finish to the inside neck. At that point I stick it into the tumbler for case cleaning and to remove any imperial wax left on the outside of the case (note I messed up my order above). Once that is done I put some imperial wax on my index finger and drag it across the neck mouth, depositing a little inside the neck only. Using the cordless drill again I chuck a bore mop and spin it into the neck, distributing the wax inside the neck area. I have found this to reduce my vertical group size but have no crono numbers to tell how much closer my ES is running yet.

For shot brass:
    Quick 20 min tumble
    Decap and FL resize
    Clean primer pocket
    Chamfer inner/outer neck
    Brush out inside of neck
    Tumble for about an hour or so to clean off all the lube and brass particles
    Prime
    Powder
    Bullet

I trim when needed. I don't anneal, my primer pockets are shot at 7-8 loadings so I don't see the need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot
    deprime
    trim
    clean
    prime
    powder
    seat bullet
    repeat 3-4x

</div></div>

Tell us more about buffing the inside of the necks please. </div></div>

I start by using a cordless drill with a bore brush attached. In the bristles I have wound a little steel wool. This knocks down any crude and gives a little smoother finish to the inside neck. At that point I stick it into the tumbler for case cleaning and to remove any imperial wax left on the outside of the case (note I messed up my order above). Once that is done I put some imperial wax on my index finger and drag it across the neck mouth, depositing a little inside the neck only. Using the cordless drill again I chuck a bore mop and spin it into the neck, distributing the wax inside the neck area. I have found this to reduce my vertical group size but have no crono numbers to tell how much closer my ES is running yet. </div></div>

hmm, I like the steel wool on the brush idea. My brush is worn down to where it doesn't really clean that well...
    Instead of wax, I dip mine in the powdered graphite jar. Seems to work real well.

With the exception of annealing, my regimen is similar to Rob01.

Tumble in cob media
    Deprime & size
    Tumble to clean off lube
    Clean primer pockets/brush out the neck
    Prime & bag for later
    Throw powder & seat bullet

I trim before first fire & deburr and chamfer the mouth. I watch my brass and might have to trim every third firing.

I do not run dirty brass thru my dies......period. If I won't put it in my rifle, I won't put it in my dies. Only thing to note, I use mica on the necks when sizing & clean my dies after every batch of brass I work up. Using a .45 caliber nylon brush with acetone and a dry patch afterwards does the trick.