• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning so not to remove moly

AndoOKC

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Oklahoma City,OK/Temple, TX
I shoot moly and always have. Lately ive been talking and reading and apparently I clean my rifle too often and too intensely. So my question is if Ive recently cleaned pretty much to the metal then fired 50 rounds of moly coated rounds, when and how should I next clean my rifle so as to leave the moly intact. Sorry for the newb question but I cant find an answer. Thanks!

Vick

Re: Cleaning so not to remove moly

Ando,

I use Hoppes BR#9 to remove the powder fouling and loose copper. Push a couple of wet patches down the bore, leave overnight, patch dry. If I have more than 250 rounds down the barrel, I'll repeat until I remove the copper. You want to remove the powder residue, since it will combine with moisture to create acids. Been doing this for eight years without problems.

HTH,
DocB

thanks for the replies everyone...

so lets say the groups are opening up at the range and I want to clean at the range. What do i use?

Also, how often do you clean powder fouling? After every range session? Do you always use a solution? Can you use just a dry patch?

Ando,

1. I've never cleaned at the range, so I cannot help on this one.
2. After I've shot the rifle.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. No. A dry patch won't neutralize acids or remove salts.

HTH,
DocB

i think one year i punched the bore twice for a years worth of competitions.....that was prolly 1000 rounds give or take

When I used moly (once, for the 2002 Spirit of America weeklong Match, the ammo was made for all of us by a Teammate), I would clean daily, after I'm guessing around 50-100rd, with a very cursory wet patching with Hoppe's #9 followed by a few dry patches, then finish up with a patch soaked with a moly bore prep solution. Accuracy remained impeccable. There was no reason, IMHO, to clean very deeply, or to disparage moly in any manner. Very simply, it worked.

Afterward, I reverted to my non-coated bullet regimen, and after several shootings sessions and pretty normal non-moly cleaning method sessions, the bore appeared to return to normal (whatever that is), according to visual inspection with a Hawkeye borescope.

When using moly, I think the above advice about waiting for a good reason to clean makes perfect sense, and unless I've got some sort of compelling, information based (as in borescope-visible evidence) reason, getting overly aggressive about that cleaning doesn't.

Moly's not my thing, but accuracy and cleaning have nothing to do with my reasons.

Greg

Kroil is a favorite among moly shooters. It easily removes the powder fouling without removing the moly coating from a seasoned bore. Just use patches, no brushes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the moly ain't coming out......... </div></div>

with kroil or in general?