• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing cleaning the barrell

Re: cleaning the barrell

alot of barrels are ruined from over cleaning, do a search on cleaning, LowLight has rifles that have almost never been cleaned, I know its hard to beleave, it goes against everthing the 3 services have pounded into your head.

I have tried both ways, and have settled on letting the barrel cool first. Otherwise the solvent has a tendency to dry out. I had thought the warmth would aid the action of the solvent, but the solvent can't work so very well if it has evaporated, can it?

There is a difference between semi auto and bolt. My bolt action rifles get a wipe through wioth a powder solvent, then a few dry patches and then put away until I notice the groups ain't what they should be.

With the Semi Auto's, I clean after every use- primarily because I grew up with and still use an F.N. FAL and if you do not clean the gas parts, let things set and then shoot again, it isn't long before a) the gun stops & b) it is darn near impossible to clean the piston without sand paper!

when they open up on ya then ...use a GOOD bore guide and rod and solvent of your choice ....depends on caliber as well