• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning your rifle - bore snake vs cleaning rod

Savagemuskie

Join or die
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2021
Ohio
Opinions I’ve been using proshot products for years, ballbearing cleaning rods and bore guides for cleaning all my bolt actions. I have no complaints but products like boresnake/Otis ripcord look like a quicker way to clean. I know they are not new systems. Can one damage a rifles bore with a boresnake ? What do you prefer?

I have both but mainly use my Dewey rods and felts.

On the matter of snakes:
  • It is important to keep them clean, not rolling around in the bottom of your range bag. Mine are in a ziplock and get washed.
  • It is important to pull them slow out of the center of your muzzle and not to one side, across your crown.

I have both but mainly use my Dewey rods and felts.

On the matter of snakes:
  • It is important to keep them clean, not rolling around in the bottom of your range bag. Mine are in a ziplock and get washed.
  • It is important to pull them slow out of the center of your muzzle and not to one side, across your crown.
That’s what I wondered about hitting the crown, it looks like could be a good system. If your pulling from chamber to barrel I don’t see how you could mess up your crown.

Reactions: Sidewinder66
They are good for cleaning in the field. I’ll use them after an upland hunt before I pack up the shotgun.

Reactions: SEII and diverdon
I have a bore snake and I only use it for a quick pass or two at the range too sweep out and carbon/powder residue, when I get home the bore gets a proper cleaning with rod.

Reactions: Sidewinder66
Bore snake after ever casual day at the range. When I was actively shooting at the range and matches, then the Dewey rod before and after. I also do a thorough cleaning with Dewey rod ever 6 months whether the rifles has been shot of not.

I would add it depends on where you are. I almost never "clean" my barrel. Maybe 250 rounds, usually more. It's never been a problem.

But I'm in AZ. Like zero humidity. I could leave a rifle outside for a year and not really worry about it here. If it shoots it's fine.

Elsewhere buildup will hold moisture, which is the real problem.

Reactions: Holliday
I would add it depends on where you are. I almost never "clean" my barrel. Maybe 250 rounds, usually more. It's never been a problem.

But I'm in AZ. Like zero humidity. I could leave a rifle outside for a year and not really worry about it here. If it shoots it's fine.

Elsewhere buildup will hold moisture, which is the real problem.

Yea, we are semi arid here in Wyoming so my cleaning regiment is very lax. I grew up near the coast of Maine. There you need to really be vigilant.

On my $300 savage .17hmr yeah i’ll use a boresnake, on anything for precision I always use cleaning rod but everyone has their own method.

Like @teddyw19 said....
I like a bore snake for a quick barrel swab - like after a day in the field and the barrel is wet...get it dry and oiled quickly with a bore snake. This is especially important b/c most of my hunting rifles have carbon steel barrels.
For my match rifles I will clean around 250 - 300 rounds and I usually do a quick polish with Iosso paste, so, it's has to be a rod.

Reactions: teddyw19
They are good for cleaning in the field. I’ll use them after an upland hunt before I pack up the shotgun.

What is this cleaning of a shotgun you speak of? I have a 3gun Benelli that has a lot of rounds down the barrel and I will clean and lubricate the bolt and receiver but I haven't pulled anything down the barrel in thousands of rounds.

Boresnakes if not used correctly and on a regular basis have been known to cause crown damage, one of our rifle builders who appears at shows giving rifle maintenance advice has a house of horrors, a collection of barrels with bore snakes broken off in them ! If that happens you will never remove them.

Boresnakes if not used correctly and on a regular basis have been known to cause crown damage, one of our rifle builders who appears at shows giving rifle maintenance advice has a house of horrors, a collection of barrels with bore snakes broken off in them ! If that happens you will never remove them.

I had one break off, a 22 bolt action. Used a mild steel road to push it out. You're not going to push it out the way it went in, but they can be removed.

As far as crown damage, I'd have to see that to believe it. If you're cleaning from the chamber, what damage could be caused?

As far as crown damage, I'd have to see that to believe it. If you're cleaning from the chamber, what damage could be caused?
You’re the second person in this thread to say this.

If you pull something that is dirty and laden with carbon and metal fragments across a surface sideways, it does not take a brain surgeon to realize that could cause wear over time. Add speed and you add heat.

I see a lot of folks pull bore snake out of the bottom of their range bag and do this.

Advising someone to pull slowly and keep it centered is not rocket science. It’s simply prudent.

soak then rod and patches cuts how many patches are needed or time needed to thoroughly clean but each to there own methods .

You’re the second person in this thread to say this.

If you pull something that is dirty and laden with carbon and metal fragments across a surface sideways, it does not take a brain surgeon to realize that could cause wear over time. Add speed and you add heat.

I see a lot of folks pull bore snake out of the bottom of their range bag and do this.

Advising someone to pull slowly and keep it centered is not rocket science. It’s simply prudent.

Max, you don't even need that too damage the crown. Look at the eye of a fishing pole fresh or salt water.

Reactions: Aftermath
I've never tried a boresnake (I have never subscribed to reusing a dirty cleaning element) but I do use the Otis stuff. I use Otis primarily when I am away from the gun room (field use) and only when I have to but I do use Otis on my M1A and the Garand and the 10/22's even at home because I was taught to never run anything in the tube the wrong direction so I use Otis on those. I don't have the right setup to run stuff chamber to crown for those firearms. I do take the coated rods, I lean toward the Montana Extreme stuff, on hunts where weight and size don't matter, you know, base camping near a road.

Otherwise, it's a coated, ball bearing equpped rod with a chamber guide. I have a Possum Hollow (yard sale item but I'll eventually buy more, it's slick) that works for most the long action 30 cal stuff and I use the Wheeler thing for everything else.
Always chamber to crown with anything that contacts the bore. Remove the jag or whatever after it exits the bore before retrieving the rod/cable.

I try to never run a brush. When I do, it's an older brush wrapped with a patch. I'm not saying that a brush is bad but I was taught to not use a brush unless it's an old bore that has pits and such and even then only sparingly. I recently cleaned my bothers Sporter '03 he bought from the friend of a friend of a friend and I used a brush and maybe 2-300 patches before all the fouling was out of that barrel. It borescoped in beautiful condition and the accuracy improved greatly.

Here's my regimen:
1) I wet a patch with Butch's Bore Shine (copper removal) and run it through the bore with a half caliber undersized jag (so, if it's a 7.62 bore, I use my 7mm jag, 7mm...use a 6.5). Let it sit for 12 minutes, no more.
2) Run another BBS patch with a caliber correct jag. Inspect for blue/green.
3) Immediately remove the BBS with caliber correct jag/patches and Naptha (Zippo Lighter fluid is primarily Naptha but you can buy Naptha at Home Depot for far less $) You don't want that copper removal stuff to contact the bore for more than about 15 minutes. I run Naptha patches until I get a real clean patch.
4) If I did find blue/green on step 2, I start again at step 1, repeat until no copper detected.
5) If no copper detected, I start with Hoppe's #9 on jagged patches and run them until I get a real clean patch. Other carbon/powder/lead solvents will work and maybe better.
6) Run Naptha patches until those are real clean.
7) Start again at step 5. Repeat until clean.
8) Run a patch with the WD40 long term corrosion inhibitor stuff.

Before I go shoot/hunt, I run a Naptha patch or 2 through the bore and shoot at least 2 fouling shots prior the critical shot(s).

I know all the fairly recent discourse about cleaning too much but, old habits die hard (post 13) and I'd rather my accuracy not fall off due to a lack of cleaning. Besides, in my possibly limited experience (I've only been shooting for 5+ decades and only shot out maybe 6 or 8 barrels, others have vastly more experience), I have not noticed a degradation in accuracy that I can blame on a clean barrel and I have never shot so many rounds that the accuracy has degraded due to a fouled rifle. I clean it if I have fired anything more than the fouling shots and I plan to store it for more than just a few days or, if I've been in wet conditions, every evening.

Last edited:
I’ve always eschewed bore snakes in favor of rods for rifles, but the Patch Worm has me intrigued. Anyone have experience?

If I go to the range shooting 10-20 rounds with ladder or group tests, I bore-snake a couple of times when I get home.
If I shoot any more than that, like 60-80 rounds in our local matches, I do a full cleaning with rods, guides, CLP, MPro-7 and patches.
I only brush with solvent every 300 rounds or so, or before putting the rifle away for longer storage (like winter).
I believe you can "clean the accuracy out of a barrel" by over-cleaning, especially if you brush too much or too hard.
But that's just me ...