• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Clear image or no reticle movement?

mercervillerental

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2019
So I went to the range today and noticed that when the image of my target was perfectly clear the reticle moved, albeit very, very slightly, when moving my head. So I settled on an out of focus image where the reticle didn't move. However I noticed that I either had an especially bad day at the range, shooting 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards from my Tikka T3x CTR with a Vortex 6-24 AMG or something about the parallax change messed me up. I ran out of ammo before I had the chance to set the image back to clear to see if that was the problem. I'm typically right around 1 inch or less groups at the same distance.

Has anyone noticed this before or have advice on this front? I've heard there were issues in the past with the AMG parallax but so far this scope has been pretty good to me but also wondering if I might have shaken something loose.

You will not get a 3-4" change from parallax at 100 yards, even if your eye was so offset in the scope that the reticle was on the edge of being visible. Something else is going on.

You will not get a 3-4" change from parallax at 100 yards, even if your eye was so offset in the scope that the reticle was on the edge of being visible. Something else is going on.
Very well could be, but not sure if that's good news or bad news lol. Everything I shot from my AR's was as expected but my bolt gun accuracy was...well, not very accurate today.

Have you changed another variable since the last time you shot that rifle? If you were getting 1" or smaller groups at that distance, which isn't particularly small for a Tikka, my CTR shot consistent 1/2" groups after putting it in a chassis, then something changed since the last time you were out. Did you change the scope, cartridge, how you were resting the rifle, did you dismount/remount the action?

Have you changed another variable since the last time you shot that rifle? If you were getting 1" or smaller groups at that distance, which isn't particularly small for a Tikka, my CTR shot consistent 1/2" groups after putting it in a chassis, then something changed since the last time you were out. Did you change the scope, cartridge, how you were resting the rifle, did you dismount/remount the action?
I did have some new loads to test, but even my known good loads didn't do well. It very well could be how I was resting/holding, at least in part

Get the parallax set, no reticle movement, then try adjusting the diopter to get a clear picture.
I've not heard that workflow before, I usually get the reticle clear against a neutral back drop (with eye rest between glances) and them adjust parallax for focus/clarity. Have I been taking the wrong approach?

Reactions: Baron23
I've not heard that workflow before, I usually get the reticle clear against a neutral back drop (with eye rest between glances) and them adjust parallax for focus/clarity. Have I been taking the wrong approach?
Normally, no. But you’re looking for the source of a problem here, so it’s a test. Regardless of the image focus, no reticle movement is the priority.

I had an atacr 4-16x that when I removed parallax at 100yds was significantly fuzzy, however, I was able to get 1/2 iphy groups with it.
I totally agree that given a choice between removing parallax and fuzzy image, I will remove parallax since my goal is to hit what I am aiming at !

49311357502_6c8abeb187_k.jpg
(762x51 rifle is the lower one in the pic)

49548766142_639e09d646_k.jpg

100yds, top group 7/16 right side group 9/16 (off RRS) net 1/2 iphy.

So, still possible to get acceptable groups with fuzzy image as long as parallax removed.

Reactions: mercervillerental
Ok, so as usual it was 100% me. I was doing something with my right shoulder (tensing it) in a way that literally opened my groups from 1 MOA or lower to 3 MOA. I went back today, was much more relaxed and shot 3 consecutive groups in a row that were under 0.6 MOA after it clicked. Turns out the fuzzy parallax was a total coincidence.

Thanks all, appreciate it as always