• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

clintonville wis....

chadg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
foothills of the ozarks.
Anybody live hear or near here? Curious if anyone has figured out what the loud booms are from that has been gotng on for the last 3 days....

Re: clintonville wis....

I'm right outside madison and its been all over the radio... I'm really curious as to what it is

Right outside Madison? OK

No news on the cause. I would hope that someone would at least try to differentiate if the source was more atmospheric or subterranean.

A few theories are weather related as this area has gotten rather warm quickly. Clintonville is setting a record high temperature at the time of this post.

Clintonville is on the south-most extent of the huge Laurentian Plateau. Perhaps it is geological in origin.

The ice from local waters is already gone (now) so I do not think that ice shifts were the cause. However I would evaluate ice conditions over the occurrences.

There have been more frequent localized magnetic anomalies as scientists believe we are headed towards a pole inversion. Perhaps atmospheric magnetic changes promoted an electrostatic discharge or thunder.

Finally, and the most plausible explanation; some locals got their hands on some tannerite.

I am about 30 miles south of there and at this point no one has any idea of what is going on. It seems to be very localized in the clintonville area. Maybe a giant sink hole is forming and will swallow the whole town? From what I've heard, alot of people are already buggin out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bernarde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am about 30 miles south of there and at this point no one has any idea of what is going on. It seems to be very localized in the clintonville area. Maybe a giant sink hole is forming and will swallow the whole town? From what I've heard, alot of people are already buggin out. </div></div>

Yeah i heard the same....Im sure it would be very odd....Maybe they will figure out what is soon...

The reports seem to focus on the northeast corner of town.

News reports confirmed some are actually leabing town.

Here is a interesting take by a local resident;

Clintonville has a "bottomless lake" called Brady Lake. So-called bottomless lakes were formed when the glaciers dropped icebergs off and then bulldozed dirt on top of them. The ice melted and the lake you see is actually the tip of the melted iceberg. It is possible that Clintonville, meaning the entire city, is sitting on top of a HUGE underground lake {read SINKHOLE} and perhaps with the drought contiditons the water table has been drawn low enough that the city is settling like a leak in a giant water bed. Why at night? I just did a check and the booming noises correalate to the high tides on the east coast meaning gravity has something to do with it.

There are several "bottomless lakes" in that area
I would agree that with the water table being so low it probably has alot to do with what's happening. Either way I don't want to be near that place when a bottomless hole opens up!

Mysterious Booms and Trembles Plague Wisconsin Town, Baffle Scientists

Police, residents and experts are baffled by the source of mysterious booms and shaking that have been plaguing the town of Clintonville, Wis., for the past three days, and have caused some residents to flee.

The Clintonville Police Department said they have received over 250 calls about noises from underground shaking homes in the northeast corner of the town near Green Bay, Wis. with approximately 5000 residents.

The mystery is even stumping some of the brightest minds at the University of Wisconsin, who were consulted about whether or not these booms could be related to seismic activity.

“I think we can rule out that standard earthquake activity, [that] some swarm of earthquakes is happening in that region. It also really looks like it’s not connected to, say, unusual drilling activity or some other kind of real obvious human induced signal, ” Harold Tobin, one of those professors in the Geoscience department at the University of Wisconsin told WKOW.

Tobin headed to Clintonville after he received a call from the Wisconsin Geological Survey office asking for help.

Tobin and a colleague looked at activity on several of the seismometers that sit in the region near Clintonville. He says there is an indication that it is an especially noisy site, but not noisy enough to cause the sounds people there are describing.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tobin says it does appear the sounds are either coming from the surface of the ground or just underneath the surface. He says that he is just as confused and intrigued as anyone as to what exactly is causing the sounds, and adds that there are other instruments that could be put out in the region where the sounds are to record noise in the air, and also ground vibrations at a higher frequency.</span>

This would help to pinpoint exactly where the sounds and coming from and what their characteristics are.

Residents of the area say that they find the noises and shakes puzzling and troubling.

“They’re pretty loud when they vibrate the windows and you can feel the vibration on the floor and on the ground,” Verda Schultz told ABC News affiliate WBAY.

The city has so far managed to rule out problems with the water and sewer system, elevated gas levels, area blasting or mining, industrial businesses, and even military operations, WBAY reported.

“I think that right now the greatest possibility is that it is some sort of natural phenomenon. I think that it’s a possibility that there is some earth shifting going on underneath the ground that creates those popping sort of exploding popping or vibrating noises that people feel,” City Administrator Lisa Kuss said.

The booms and shakes have gotten so bad that they have begun to drive residents from the town.

“Our dog is scared, our neighbors are leaving and stuff, so we decided we are going somewhere else for a while,” Dennis Padia said. “It’s that loud, and it bothers you. You can’t go to sleep.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/20...cientists/

we had somthing like that a while ago i think it was uncle sam and some of his birds braking the sound barrier dont think they ever came out and said it was them i dont think they are allowed to brake the sound barrier in residential areas just a thought

I don't know what noises are coming from that area but I have been near jets that broke the sonic barrier and I doubt it would sound the same, even though they shake the ground and flew windows. Guess we will have to wait until the ground opens up to find out whats making the noise.

Nephelim, they're coming back!!!!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
clintonvilleEQ.png
</div></div>

hahaha thats great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
clintonvilleEQ.png
</div></div>
Awesome! My Lady was asking what I was laughing at,

Some of my buds immediately thought of me when they heard of this news and asked if I had been in that area lately. Nope.

Oh... I'm talkin' oxy-acetylene balloon bombs that we used to do back in the day before those folks, that think they're in charge, got too serious.
grin.gif

At work every now and again a small garbage bag will get filled up with oxy acetylene, then discretely hidden by one of the other welders.

Good times....

We will only know if that noises stop that it was the lead up to the earthquake that caused them. I do love me some ballon bombs.