• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Clip on comparison video

After hearing specs, I thought the Elbit would hold its own with the unfilmed given SNR was within 2 and resolution was better. Elbit seemed much more noisy than expected, closer to the older green tube than the unfilmed. Is this how it appeared in person?

ETA: 27x is sure to bring out the noise in any tube!

Last edited:
Super impressive at 27x in my opinion...I usually max out at 16x with a refurb 30.

Glad to hear/see you cracked into a pvs30! Charging the same to retube a 30 as your 27 retube?

Reactions: stefan73
Nice. Iā€™d like to see a CNVD-LR if you have one of those to compare as well.

@rlsmith1
Iā€™m my opinion it did do pretty good against the others. You have to remember the Elbit here is getting the short end of the stick on light transmission from the 30 objective vs the 27ā€™s on the other two. It is definitely more noisy than I thought it would be though.

@Reload10
I will retube a 30 for a discounted rate. Reason being is I canā€™t re collimate the 30 unfortunately. They require a new collimation lens on the prism to be re collimated and I canā€™t get them to sell that to me. This test was performed on a vise. The day scope was placed in it and centered on the 8ā€ circle target. Then the clip ons just clipped on in front of the stationary scope. The images reflect the collimation also, the first 27 is very close to center, the green 27 is about 1.5-2 MOA off and the 30 is a few Mils off.

Reactions: rlsmith1
Iā€˜d love to see a head to head on the PVS24 CNVD-LR, PVS27, and PVS30.
24LR and 27WP aren't even close. I can't make a video, but I can tell you that the usable mag is 8-10x different.

@rlsmith1
Iā€™m my opinion it did do pretty good against the others. You have to remember the Elbit here is getting the short end of the stick on light transmission from the 30 objective vs the 27ā€™s on the other two. It is definitely more noisy than I thought it would be though.

@Reload10
I will retube a 30 for a discounted rate. Reason being is I canā€™t re collimate the 30 unfortunately. They require a new collimation lens on the prism to be re collimated and I canā€™t get them to sell that to me. This test was performed on a vise. The day scope was placed in it and centered on the 8ā€ circle target. Then the clip ons just clipped on in front of the stationary scope. The images reflect the collimation also, the first 27 is very close to center, the green 27 is about 1.5-2 MOA off and the 30 is a few Mils off.

Just happens you make a filter to help with those noisy tubes!

@Choid
You are right in most cases. The filmless 27 is hands down the best image Iā€™ve ever see through a clip on. Thereā€™s nothing that can keep up with it that I know of. But thereā€™s no doubt itā€™s big,heavy and the focus adjustment could have been designed better. The 2124-LR still hits the top of my chart for favorite clip on. Not because of performance but due to the size, weight and focus design. If you were to cut your hand off you can still adjust the focus on a 2124-LR with ease.

@rlsmith1
I know a guy! Haha

@Choid
You are right in most cases. The filmless 27 is hands down the best image Iā€™ve ever see through a clip on. Thereā€™s nothing that can keep up with it that I know of. But thereā€™s no doubt itā€™s big,heavy and the focus adjustment could have been designed better. The 2124-LR still hits the top of my chart for favorite clip on. Not because of performance but due to the size, weight and focus design. If you were to cut your hand off you can still adjust the focus on a 2124-LR with ease.

@rlsmith1
I know a guy! Haha
Yeah, I totally agree. But I think the 2124 LR is really a 3-12x clip on, which is more than enough at night. People just shouldn't go into it thinking they are getting to 18-25x, unless it is maybe a super bright night. The 30 is the worst by a mile, though. But for observation purposes, the 27 is the best.

Yeah, I totally agree. But I think the 2124 LR is really a 3-12x clip on, which is more than enough at night. People just shouldn't go into it thinking they are getting to 18-25x, unless it is maybe a super bright night. The 30 is the worst by a mile, though. But for observation purposes, the 27 is the best.
I agree if weā€™re talking about the green thin film 2124ā€™s. The filmless WP units will do 20-22x under certain conditions paired with a good optic. The 24 is definitely a 6-8x optic tops, I re tube them and can comfortably hit 10x and sometimes more with a good quality tube. The prism on the 24 can support 10-12x and thatā€™s an absolute MAX. The 2124 LR prism can support 25x but the objective limits that substantially. A better tube allows you to reach beyond the 15-18x mark but in the end the objective is the limitation.

I agree if weā€™re talking about the green thin film 2124ā€™s. The filmless WP units will do 20-22x under certain conditions paired with a good optic. The 24 is definitely a 6-8x optic tops, I re tube them and can comfortably hit 10x and sometimes more with a good quality tube. The prism on the 24 can support 10-12x and thatā€™s an absolute MAX. The 2124 LR prism can support 25x but the objective limits that substantially. A better tube allows you to reach beyond the 15-18x mark but in the end the objective is the limitation.
I picked up a WP LR somewhere along the way. Lol. Kind of thing that seems to happen. I am pretty sensitive to noise, so my estimations of magnification are pretty conservative. The 27 you did for me says very clear well into the 20s.