• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Clip on conversion for Halo/reap/mk2/3?

jeffl838

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
All the above units use pvs14 oculars, right? How much might it cost to have something that replaces the pvs14 hardware with a collimating prism/demagnifier? How much would something like this weigh? Is there a reason other than demand that something like this isn't in production? Some people might people might pay several thousand for this, considering it could turn your mk3 60m into something image-wise similar to a utc, just way heavier. Looking forward to expert thoughts.

@wigwamitus Did something in the arena with a reversed 3x magnifier paired with a patrol.

There are definitely people thinking about it, but there are lots of inherent challenges: manual focus, recoil, software optimization for clip-on, display resolution, etc.

Interesting none-the-less.

48125774896_c3806e8f80_b.jpg

From left to right ...

3xG magnifier

Patrol

Reverse USGI 3x magnifier (screwed on to the rear of the patrol back'ards)

This (olde) Patrol had inherent clipon capability, so it had ability to just the image left/right and up/down to manually collimate the thermal to the day scope. Halo doesn't have that. Olde REAPs also had clipon capability. Olde mk2/3s did also. But the Halo's never have had clipon capability i.e. manual collimation capability (or demagnification capability). WIthout manual collimation capability or demagnification, your gonna struggle using a dedicated thermal (TWS) as a clipon.

There might be someone working on an external collimation capability, but if I knew about that, I couldn't talk about it :D

Sounds like a simple software upgrade... If they can save multiple zeros for different rifles, surely they could move the whole image rather than just the overlay

Manual collimation is software for digital devices. But doing demagnification with software leads to significantly degraded image. See, SNIPE or LWTS-LR for example.

Reactions: WhereNow&How