• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Clip on thermal/scanner?

IdahoSpud

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
Looking for a small clip on thermal that I can use on multiple rifles as well as take off for scanning with to replace my Pulsar Trail 2 Xp50 LRF.
I was looking into the Iray Micro after a friend bought on, but after reading through threads on here it sounds like a lot of people are having some pretty serious issues with it not holding zero on rifles as well as using it head mounted.

Is there something similar that is a bit more tried and true? I'm tired of having to lug around a big heavy thermal when I want to use it to scan and having to rezero it every time I put it back on the one dedicated rifle. I'd love to be able to throw it on multiple already zeroed day rifles. I don't really care much about helmet mounting.

I know "do it all" devices won't be great at everything. But is there something that's good or acceptable for doing what I'd like?

Reactions: mikefraz
Check out the thread on the Steiner C35 - getting great reviews on the Hide, plus a GREAT price - PLUS a factory rebate.. Also - Burris makes an eyepiece that fits it for use as a handheld scanner. I bought mine from DRT - they were GTG.

Reactions: IdahoSpud
Budget, budget, budget.

Clipons always need a magnifier to work standalone. You can finagle it (I have) but it's pretty bulky then usually. A pretty slick solution is the TIG-IR, like this one for sale (not mine, but I'd love to have it) which even includes the rear lens adapter to make it both an awful good clipon and an awful good pocketscope*.

But... good solutions are not cheap.

* Hate, hate, hate the term "scanner." Not-head-mounted monoculars have been calaled pocketscopes for at least 40 years. Perfectly good term.

I just saw this video and maybe I'm better off with the Pulsar. It's a year old, but it sounds like anything clipped on in front is going to have problems. I didn't realize you had to collimate them. Has that gotten to a point where it's no longer an issue?

Is there anything on the market yet to make thermals/day scopes QD with minimal zero shift?

What is your budget? How far do you want to shoot? those dictate what is needed.
I don't really have a budget. I'd rather find something suitable and keep it on the list for a while than buy something I'll regret.
I'd hope to get 3-400m out of that. It sounds like anything past 200 is hard with the Iray. I can shoot that far with my MAWL.

You really won't get one device t hat does well as both a clip on and scanner.
too many compromises to get both uses out of one device.

If you don't want to worry about zeroing or a budget take a look at the EOtech/Theon Clip IR line.
There are a couple threads with pictures and information.

I have an ELR and it is fantastic, but the ELRs were brought in limited numbers.

I had the chance to look through an LR (step down from the ELR ) and I was very impressed. I don't think you'd have any trouble IDing coyotes out to 600 yards or further, and they're guaranteed to be collimated within 1MOA of your day scope.

Wigwamitus of SOK brought ~$50k of thermals and I2 over to my place a few weeks ago, and again last weekend to test. You can see pictures in Wig's "Night Ops" thread.

I was able to look through a C35 the same night as the LR. We were able to look at cattle from 200 yards out to over 1000 yards.

The C35 was great for the price, but I thought the image fell apart over 8x magnification. I think I could have PID'd a coyote out to ~400 yards if it was moving.

The biggest downside, IMO, is that it is a "zero the screen" type device, whereas the ClipIR line are pre collimated: mount it and shoot. No zeroing.

Reactions: IdahoSpud
Wigwamitus of SOK brought ~$50k of thermals and I2 over to my place a few weeks ago, and again last weekend to test. You can see pictures in Wig's "Night Ops" thread.

I was able to look through a C35 the same night as the LR. We were able to look at cattle from 200 yards out to over 1000 yards.

The C35 was great for the price, but I thought the image fell apart over 8x magnification. I think I could have PID'd a coyote out to ~400 yards if it was moving.

The biggest downside, IMO, is that it is a "zero the screen" type device, whereas the ClipIR line are pre collimated: mount it and shoot. No zeroing.
Why does the C35 say up to7-8x without degredation and it's cheaper than the Iray?

My understanding is that Steiner intended to sell them for $4000+ but couldn't move them.
Now they've discontinued them and are blowing them out cheap.

That’s what $12K gets you over $3K.

Reactions: mikefraz