• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Clip-on with LRF?

DR&M

Dyk Rifle & Machine
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 12, 2020
    Colorado
    I'm looking for a Clip-on- can't seem to find any with an LRF. Am I missing something? Anybody know of anything? Or- guys running Clip-on systems in front of standard optics- how are you going about range finding at night?

I'd like a clip on so that I can easily scan outside my UTV while checking cows vs what I'm doing now which is to hold a rifle with ATN Thor4 out the window while sending video to iphone or ipad. Calving season is rapidly approaching. I'd like to go a clip-on so that I can outfit another rifle with a thermal. Like to find one with LRF if possible. We routinely have chances to shoot north of 500 yards.

Is this dumb? Should I just be looking for a standalone monocular or binos plus another dedicated thermal scope? Or a clip-on and run a standalone thermal monocular with LRF? It'd be nice to buy one nice clip-on and satisfy two needs. My experience with clip on systems is a single installation & set up with some custom machining for a customer's PVS30 and that's it. So if I am being ignorant here regarding clip-on NV/Thermal by all means tell me so.

Clip ons typically won't have an integrated LRF because the LRF needs to be used both during the day and night (and clip ons are typically used at night).

You've got your use case down which is half of it. Next is budget... You can spend $5k for a cheap Chinese clip on and a Vortex LRF, or spend $30k for a Voodoo M and MRF.

For scanning, I would strongly recommend a NOX18 or something similar. Attach it to a helmet and you have hands free thermal at all times (I see so much more this way, even when I'm with friends who have handheld scanners). If you want to bridge a PVS14 to navigate with you can do that too. The downside with thermal is it doesn't see through glass so if you are in a UTV, you will need to fold down the windshield. If you are in any terrain or moving quickly, I would consider traditional night vision for navigation...

I have not seen a clip on with an LRF integrated. Your options for LRFs (in order of size / weight) are SiCo Radius ($800, 10 yr old, no warranty), Vortex Impact 4000 ($1700, new kid on the block, lifetime warranty, chunky), Wilcox Raptar ($5k to $10k depending on unit), Wilcox MRF ($10k), and Mars-Lc ($9500). There are others out there but these are what most are using for weapons mounted.

On the thermal side, you are going to choose between a chinese unit (iRay) or American (Pixels on Target or NVision, Trijicon if you are ok with used)

I've been eyeing the Iray Mate. It's LR ready, but not sure if the rangefinder is available yet. If not, it's coming.

There is a Voodoo-M version currently available with a rangefinder. It’s approximately 30k… which is why I opted for the ML (lasers but no rangefinder).
    Evolution 9 have you tried to find the 4 or 5 button remote for the Voodoo? Also have you found the solution for retrieving photos off the Voodoo?

Evolution 9 have you tried to find the 4 or 5 button remote for the Voodoo? Also have you found the solution for retrieving photos off the Voodoo?
    No, and no. I haven’t had a need for either for my uses so I haven’t looked. I’ve stumbled on a couple remotes for BAE devices but I don’t know if they kept things similar enough for that to work.

No, and no. I haven’t had a need for either for my uses so I haven’t looked. I’ve stumbled on a couple remotes for BAE devices but I don’t know if they kept things similar enough for that to work.
    Thanks for the reply man. I’ve been trying to find the five button that will work with the Wilcox RAPTAR.

Clip ons typically won't have an integrated LRF because the LRF needs to be used both during the day and night (and clip ons are typically used at night).

You've got your use case down which is half of it. Next is budget... You can spend $5k for a cheap Chinese clip on and a Vortex LRF, or spend $30k for a Voodoo M and MRF.

For scanning, I would strongly recommend a NOX18 or something similar. Attach it to a helmet and you have hands free thermal at all times (I see so much more this way, even when I'm with friends who have handheld scanners). If you want to bridge a PVS14 to navigate with you can do that too. The downside with thermal is it doesn't see through glass so if you are in a UTV, you will need to fold down the windshield. If you are in any terrain or moving quickly, I would consider traditional night vision for navigation...

I have not seen a clip on with an LRF integrated. Your options for LRFs (in order of size / weight) are SiCo Radius ($800, 10 yr old, no warranty), Vortex Impact 4000 ($1700, new kid on the block, lifetime warranty, chunky), Wilcox Raptar ($5k to $10k depending on unit), Wilcox MRF ($10k), and Mars-Lc ($9500). There are others out there but these are what most are using for weapons mounted.

On the thermal side, you are going to choose between a chinese unit (iRay) or American (Pixels on Target or NVision, Trijicon if you are ok with used)
    I went with the RH25 plus helmet for now. Later I will upgrade my Thor4 to try to increase distance, but you are definitely right. Have to be able to spot them before you can try to shoot them. Guess I'll have to add a PVS-14 at some point too. FML

Reactions: rlsmith1
    Depending on your terrain, you might want to consider a NV clip-on as well. Especially if you are going to have a helmet mounted thermal for detection, you could use the NV clip-on for id and aiming the weapon. The PVS-24, PVS-22, UNS-SR, etc are fairly light/compact and great for lower power scopes and hunting use. I have been extremely happy with my Sureshot improved white phos PVS-24 and a 3-12x56 Henny/Acog combined with a laser and Kiji illuminator.

Reactions: DR&M
    However, the PVS-24 is limited to 5.56 if that matters for your application. Knight's clip-ons frequently tolerate more recoil but are a little less user friendly with focus as I understand.