• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Clip slotting

Northland

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Louisiana
Ok guys that have rifles with clip slotted actions. I'm about to have mine set up for it, But I need some help.

When you install your base, did you glue/epoxy/whatever your base into place on the action or just slide it in and screw it down?

Thanks

Re: Clip slotting

When I received mine from GAP, it was so tight any adhesive would have been redundant. The spec change to 8-40 screws and the flat rear bridge made it rock solid as could be. All I did was the standard green loctite under the base to keep moisture out in the event the rifle got wet.

I don't know who did the work in the shop, but it was one very cleanly machined and perfect job.

Thanks man, thats kind of what I needed to know! Is your Gap rifle a 40 of some kind or did you just get it clip slotted?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burneyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I received mine from GAP, it was so tight any adhesive would have been redundant. The spec change to 8-40 screws and the flat rear bridge made it rock solid as could be. All I did was the standard green loctite under the base to keep moisture out in the event the rifle got wet.</div></div>

How did you get the green Loctite under the base (i.e. did you receive the base from GAP already installed)?

It is somewhat like a later M40 with an A4, Ross bottom metal, etc, but I mainly just wanted a build with a clip slotted mount.

I placed the loctite on the bottom of the base and top of receiver when I was tapping it into the slotted recess machined into the receiver.

Here is a pic, but I don't know how much of the mount you can see.

11174gl.jpg

The green loctite uses capillary action to "wick" into cracks and crevices. The action is similar to tacking a paper towel and putting a corner into water and the water will actually "climb" up the paper towel.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/25/t_lkr_green/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Green-290.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Loctite® Threadlocker Green 290™ is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. Due to it's low viscosity and capillary action, the product wicks between engaged threads and eliminates the need to disassemble prior to application. Loctite® Threadlocker Green 290™ cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It prevents loosening from shock and vibration and leakage from shock and vibration and protects threads from rust and corrosion. The product can also be used to fill porosity in welds, casting and powder metal parts. Localized heating and hand tools are needed for disassembly.

</div></div>
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/threadlockers.shtml

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that the Badger or Ross? </div></div>

It is a Badger, Dan Ross wouldn't sell his mount unless he did the full build on the rifle. I don't know if that changed, but I'll say it worked out well for me. The price he quoted me for the mount <span style="font-style: italic">alone</span> was more than the rail from Badger plus what George charged for the clip slot work. I think CDI here on the hide has a mount that is very close to the Ross, or he made a small run for some folks here if I'm not mistaken. The Ross mount is pretty jacked-up in the rear, and the Badger is better in this regard. I reckon it is more a question if you want a spec build/part or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burneyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that the Badger or Ross? </div></div>

It is a Badger, Dan Ross wouldn't sell his mount unless he did the full build on the rifle. I don't know if that changed, but I'll say it worked out well for me. The price he quoted me for the mount <span style="font-style: italic">alone</span> was more than the rail from Badger plus what George charged for the clip slot work. I think CDI here on the hide has a mount that is very close to the Ross, or he made a small run for some folks here if I'm not mistaken. The Ross mount is pretty jacked-up in the rear, and the Badger is better in this regard. I reckon it is more a question if you want a spec build/part or not. </div></div>

Yea, those CDI's are $100 more than a Badger...

CDI makes a M40A3 rail. They are excellent. I have a couple of them, along with the DD Ross unit. As to glueing them to the reciever, it probably isnt needed but I do it anyway.