• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cloning

Woolsocks

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2023
Washington
I have a 28 nos that likes a particular factory load, so I’m going to try and clone it. Here’s what I know.

Bullet type
Velocity
Brass
OAL
Neck diameter

Any other properties I should measure to try and start my work up close as I can to what already works? I am using a Redding type s bushing 2-die set.

I have a 28 nos that likes a particular factory load, so I’m going to try and clone it. Here’s what I know.

Bullet type
Velocity
Brass
OAL
Neck diameter

Any other properties I should measure to try and start my work up close as I can to what already works? I am using a Redding type s bushing 2-die set.
Open up to 5 of the factory rounds. Weigh the powder charge. Look at the powder. Granule size, shape, color, etc.

When I was cloning some 6.5 creedmoor 140g stuff from Berger, the powder looks suspiciously similar to H4350.

I used the same charge weight of my H4350 I had on hand, and magically the velocity was within +/- 20fps of the Berger factory load.

I'm not familiar with 28 Nos, but I'm a 7mm RemMag guy. H1000 and Reloder 26 have been my top 2 with 168-175gr 7mm projectiles

Reactions: simonp
N570 RL33 is about the right burn rate for the 195’s. Retumbo is used as well. If you have those powders on hand, you can see if they are comparable.

N570 RL33 is about the right burn rate for the 195’s. Retumbo is used as well. If you have those powders on hand, you can see if they are comparable.
I’m shooting 160 nosler acubonds, so moving a little faster. 26” barrel, though.

Ever used US869? Nosler’s website shows good accuracy with it, for what it’s worth. It’s very easy to find, temp stable and cheap. Wondering why more people don’t use it.

I’m shooting 160 nosler acubonds, so moving a little faster. 26” barrel, though.

Ever used US869? Nosler’s website shows good accuracy with it, for what it’s worth. It’s very easy to find, temp stable and cheap. Wondering why more people don’t use it.
I have not used it. I know the factory loads have whatever they can get that is close to velocity/pressure they are wanting.

Many times when I tried to clone a factory load knowing all but the powder, I came up with a better performing load with the handloader available powders. It's fun to crack them open and see what powder type and charge weight used, but unlike 1911 dude above, I've never had success eyeballing the factory powder and finding a 1 to 1 equivalent. So my point is, you can relax on the powder type used so long as it's giving the desired velocities without too much over pressure.

Reactions: Rocketmandb
It's unlikely you will be able to identify the powder beyond finding whether it's ball/spherical or extruded. You may be able to narrow down the source of the powder, ADI for instance by color. You can then cross reference the charge weight with reloading sources and maybe have a better idea of what the powder is but that doesn't mean that the loaded charge is that powder.

Understand that ammunition manufacturers may buy specific powders that are not available to the average consumer.

Reactions: Rocketmandb