• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Close range thermal-large FOV!

BillyGoatMachine

07FFL/SOT
Supporter
Minuteman
I’m looking for recommendations on an observation thermal that has the largest field of view. Budget is around 4K. I live in heavily wooded areas hence the large FOV as the main requirement. The front runner so far is a pulsar axion or the AGM fuzion. But with those having a base magnification of 2.5 I’m not sure if that’s the right fit for what I’m looking for. I would love something with a base of 1-2X. 640res and a rangefinder would be nice in case I ever go predator hunting for evening locating. But do I really need 640res for close up observation?? I am heavily leaning towards a pulsar product, because of the good warranty and high quality images. I used to have a flir T50 that was useless for observation and was like looking through a straw. I live rural and don’t have the option to go look through a bunch of thermals And don’t have any experience with any other thermals besides the T50. Thanks

Last edited:
There are a few options in your budget range.

For short range, I'm not sure how useful a LRF would be unless you're hunting at night with a bow. :)

I would always go for more resolution -- 640 v 320 -- price is negligible these days.

Give me a haller. We can chat through the various options.

You gain additional FOV with a higher resolution thermal if everything else stays the same (focal length, microns, etc). One of my primary roles is testing thermals, so I have used a large variety of brands and models. I sent you my contact information if you wish to chat about what thermal or thermals would work well for you.

Reactions: BillyGoatMachine
Used MTM-Pi has the widest FOV of any thermal I own — much wider than SkeetX, Voodoo-S, MH/RH-25, etc. Not easy to find, but there was one on ARF a month ago for $4K. Very nice unit, even though older tech.