• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes close to midrange scope

Mr_Brass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2010
45x90 WI.
So I am looking into optics for my AR as the don't seem to cut it for me.

I have 3 optics I am looking into right now

http://swfa.com/Vortex-15-4x32-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P11239.aspx

http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-SWFA-SALT-Combo-P42148.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-1-4x24-CMR-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-Kit-P47565.aspx

eotech and aim point are out of the question for me and nightforce is do damn much. If any of you guys have any input for optics like these in the price range let me know thanks.

As well I'm looking at this for my bushmaster varmint upper. the upper will be used from 250 to 700 yards.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

thanks guys

Re: close to midrange scope

Get the Viper, stay away from the others.

I'd go to a Trijicon TR24/24R/24G 1-4x24.
If that's still too much, look into the Falcon Menace 1.5-5x30.
Otherwise, if you can hold out, wait for the Viper PST 1-4x24.

If all of those are still too expensive (the Falcon is only $245), the Vortex has a lifetime warranty.

If you are just putzing around at the range, you'll be okay with the Vortex. If you plan on putting the rifle through its paces, all scopes are inadequate and you're basically setting yourself up for failure. I don't know about you, but my ARs take a beating like a red-headed stepchild... I have to use quality glass or I'm screwed.

The rifle could see some hard use if I where to need it in an emergency...

the triji is about 3 to 400 bucks over my budget. so i guess the PST is going to be the way to go.

I hear that that leatherwood is pretty dang rugged though. is that pretty much bullshit?

between the vortex I posted and the falcon that falcon gets the nod hey?

I'm looking at very similar options for my AR. Here is what I've gathered.

If you have the budget or can wait and save, this is what everyone recommends in the 1-4x category:
1.Nightforce or USO (top line over 1K)
2.Trijicon or Burris XTR or wait for the SWAFA Super Sniper to come out (mid range $700-$800)
3.Vortex Viper or IOR fixed 4x (upper low around $500)
4.Leatherwood, Falcon Menace, Burris Tac30, Millit and maybe a few others (lower end around $300)

I guess it just depends on what you "REALLY" are going to do with it and what options you need. Do you need a $500 - $1000 optic on your AR if just shooting at the range a few times a month? Maybe.. but maybe that $200 option will work just as well. Odds of a civilian needing a $1000 optic for home defense is very low.. for home invasion.. use a shotgun or just point shoot or use a red dot.

For me, I like to be able to use the mil options for holdovers at the range out past 200yds.. but I don't shoot 200-300 all that often. I do want a Illuminated retical since this will be replacing my red dot though. Trying to get the best of both worlds on a budget. If I only had one gun.. I'd get the Nightforce.. but with a safe full and more to come.. budget is important.

Cheers and good luck. Let me know what you decide on.. may help me out. Also check out my thread on here too "Dot or 1-4x".

Cheers,
Hawk

yeah I posted in your thread a few more options for you. I'll mostly be using this at the range for drills and such but if the need is there i need it to work in a SHTF type deal. the millet is large and that's what's keeping me from it. I have heard very very good things about the leatherwood and will most likly pick it up unless someone on the hide can point me to some known issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard very very good things about the leatherwood and will most likly pick it up unless someone on the hide can point me to some known issues. </div></div>

I've read mostly about the Leatherwood over on AR15.com. It's got good an bad reviews. And the reviews on SWAFA site don't help either. I did hear that any issues people had were taken care of by Hi-Lux but again.. is it worth the risk/time/effort. Then again.. most reviews are usually only about bad stuff. If it works.. most don't bother to post reviews. Wish there was a good optics store local to check them out in person. Other than that you are kind of at the mercy of reviews and chance. My preference if for the Vortex PST ($500) b/c of the excellent reviews all their other optics get and the 100% coverage/transferable warrenty. But $500 is a lot for me right now. Second choice at this point is probably the Falcon with the Leatherwood in third. Wish there were more reviews on the Vortex that would help push me over the edge and order.

BTW.. if lenght isn't a big factor and anything under 12" will do.. check out some of the 2-7x32 options as well. I've got a few growing on me.

yeah the vortex viper $170 2-7 strikes me really good.

and the vortex crossfire at $100 1.5-5

The Millet DMS is not a bad way to go.

There is better out there, but they seem to work pretty well.

Nikon makes the M223 line specifically for the AR.

One of the best non-illuminated low price scopes you can get is the Weaver 1-3x.

Another option is to look at any of the major players shotgun or muzzleloader scopes, these can usually be had in 1-4 or 1.5-6 with very forgiving eye relief.