• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Close to Ordering a Custom Rifle, But So Many Combinations.......

dariof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
So NV & So CA
.......Your thoughts and advice is appreciated. I want to build a 6.5/284 for F-Class, silhouette and general long range (1,000 yards or so ) shooting.

I am not sure what components, but I have narrowed them down, somewhat.

Action....Your thoughts on Bat, Surgeon or Stiller.
Barrel.....1:8.5 twist.....so many big name manufacturers........your thoughts welcomed.
Stock.....I like the McMillan F-class
Trigger...Two names come up....Timney and Jewell

I have seen so many custom rifles at the range, which makes this process even more confusing....no two are alike.

Thanks for your input.

All 3 of those actions are good. Bartlein barrels are very popular on this forum. Have any one of the gunsmiths on here build it, and you will be well-satisfied.

Action: Bat makes a great action, stiller makes a great action at an economical price. I build 99% of all customer guns off of Defiance and prefer them over the others. Surgeon is no longer selling actions.
Barrels: Everyone has barrels that they have built confidence with. I would suggest a few such as Rock Creek, Bartlein, or Brux. I build on all of these every week and all produce a great product with great results down range.
Stock:McMillan makes great stuff as well, pick what fits you and feels good to you and will meet the requirements for what you will be using it for.
Trigger: Timney and Jewel are both top end triggers. If you are going to be running in a clean environment both will serve well. If running in a dirty or sandy environment you may consider a X-mark pro. Correctly tuned they are a great trigger and a little more reliable than some of the bench rest style triggers.

Good luck with your decisions and remember you are the one paying for it so build it the way you want it, not the way anyone else would like it.

Surgeon is probably unavailable unless you have a lead on one. I'd roll with a BAT, Defiance, or Bighorn. Run whatever barrel you can get a hold of, they are all top shelf. Stick Krieger, Bartlien, Rock Creek, Brux,Broughton, or Benchmark and you'll be fine. If its bench only gun, run a jewel, if its a field gun at all run a Timney.

Last edited:
Based on the type of competition you are citing, a BAT would probably be the preferred action. Definitely nothing wrong with the other two but look at the top shooters in F Class/long range bench rest and BAT is up there. Any of the big names for barrels are great, find whatever you can that is in stock or your looking at a long wait. The McMillan F Class is nice but from my experience there is a bit more flex in the fore-end than would be desirable. Trigger should be a Jewell if you are talking about F Class or Long Range BR.