• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses CLOSED: Someone take my spot at the Spearpoint Ranch (KS) extreme long range training class (9/13-9/14)

Performify

MRAD fanatic
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2017
KC
Unfortunately I have a family obligation conflict and will be unable to attend.

Lead Instructor is a master marksman and really excellent -- I've taken several classes with him including this one last time it was available. Co-instructor is a local LE former SWAT sniper who currently trains LE snipers.

Each class is limited to only 16 students. The cost is $250 for the instruction and $50 for the range fee payable to Spearpoint Ranch. For those who want to stay at the ranch, Spearpoint offers the use of a bunkhouse for the participants. The cost is $30 per night.

I've already paid the $250 -- I can take paypal, we can meet in person between now and then if you're local, or I'm open to ammo or interesting trades. I need a mid-range tactical scope (max 16x power, or a 6x / 8x variable, or like a 3x-4x fixed). I can add cash for the right trade.

If you're remote and want to fly in, I'd be happy to take you to dinner or grab a beer the night before.

Details below.

Very soon, we will go to Spearpoint Ranch in Lincoln, KS for a weekend of intense but friendly long range shooting. Some of you have taken my class at Mill Creek Rifle Club where you learned to shoot out to 500 yards. At Spearpoint, we will go to the next level! It is my hope and aspiration to help everyone shoot and hit targets beyond what they thought was possible. Whatever distance you and your rifle is capable of rest assured that I and Kurt will be there to help you be the best shooter you can be in a low pressure, encouraging environment.

On Saturday, we will shoot on the known distance range which extends out to 1400 yards. In the morning, we will confirm zeros and each shooter will create a ballistic chart for their specific rifle to as far out as possible. Usually in the afternoon, the wind picks up at Spearpoint hence, we will have a class on wind reading during lunch and after the class the students will engage the known distance targets as they did in the morning. Please Note: Spearpoint can have some very strong wind, which is a great thing!

On Sunday, we will apply what we learned on Saturday in a more tactical environment. In the morning, we will shoot moving targets (walking pace) at 200, 300 and 425 yards. A class on how to engage moving targets will precede this activity. After lunch, the students will shoot targets at unknown distances. Students can either use a laser range finder to obtain the distances or they can use their reticle to obtain the distances. Once again, we will show students how to use their reticle to range distances before shooting starts.

Schedule
Saturday
8:00 AM - 8:30 AM Safety Briefing
8:30 AM - 9:00 AM Sight-In (Zero Confirmation at 300-500 yards) and Velocity Measurement
9:00 AM - 9:30 AM Ballistics Class
9:30 AM - 12:00 AM Shooting on Range
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM Lunch and Wind Reading Class
1:00 PM - 5:00 PM Shooting on Range
5:30 PM Dinner and Q&A

Sunday
8:00 AM - 8:30 AM Safety Briefing
8:30 AM - 8:45 AM Shooting Moving Objects
8:45 AM - 12:00 PM Movers at 200, 300,425 yards (15 rounds per distance)
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM Lunch and Ranging Class
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM Unknown Distance Shooting
3:00 PM - Go home with a grin the size of Texas!

Safety
Each day we will start with a safety briefing. The range is hot only if the instructors are supervising the shooters. Unsafe behavior is grounds for immediate expulsion. We will not risk life or limb due to unsafe shooters.

Weather
Unless an F5 tornado is going to sweep the range off the map, the class will go on. Over half of the shooting will be under a canopy on a concrete floor. The other half will be shot on grass however, if there is rain we can shoot the under the canopy for the duration of the class.

Food
To keep things simple, please bring your own food for Saturday/Sunday breakfast and lunch. The bunkhouse has a working house kitchen with plates and utensils. Saturday dinner: our intent is to go into town and order pizzas (everyone chips in) and bring them back to the bunkhouse.

Lodging
The Spearpoint Range Bunkhouse is $30 per night(last time I checked). The other option is: Post Rock Motel - 1907 E Highway 18, Lincoln, KS - (785) 524-4424. Their nightly rate is around $50. It is about 10-15 minutes from the range. It's a little more comfortable. Either way, we advise people to come the night before because the class will start at 8:00 AM. The bunkhouse will be open for check-in at 3:00PM on Friday. Please Note: If you will sleep at the bunkhouse you will have an opportunity to SHOOT MORE! But, please contact me if you want to stay at the Bunkhouse. There are only 10 slots available and it's first come, first serve.

Address
1890 N 215th Rd, Barnard, KS 67418
or
39°07'47.2"N 98°06'17.9"W
Please note some mapping websites have the address wrong. There is a house owner in the vicinity who is very ANTI-2A. Google used to send everyone to their house - coincidence - maybe or maybe not ;-)

Range Fee and Bunkhouse Fee
The Spearpoint Owner expects people to pay cash on Saturday morning for the use of bunkhouse and the range fees ($25 per day - range fee, $30 per day for the bunkhouse).

Equipment
Scoped Center Fire Rifle (300 WM or less, if you want to bring a larger caliber please email me. Larger calibers have minimum target engagement distance) - we are only shooting steel - larger calibers will punch holes through most of the steel.
Ammo: at least 60 rounds per day, but there is NO LIMIT. Most will shoot 100 rounds per day - preferably using match grade hollow ammunition.
Empty chamber indicator - please bring one as Spearpoint might not sell them.
Spotting Scope - optional - if you have one please bring it
Shooting mat - concrete is hard! To maintain a comfortable position a shooting mat, a sleeping mat, an old blanket is strongly recommended.
Shooting Bag - I highly recommend buying a bag to place under the rifle stock rear to help maintain stability. Badger Ordinance sells a "Badger Bone" for not a lot of money. They are well worth it.
Scope level - most people cant their rifles while they shoot. This might not be a problem at 100 or 200 yards. But, it is a huge problem at 1000 yards. I highly recommend getting a scope level to correct canting. A vortex scope level costs around $40 but it's cheap insurance.
Laser Range Finder - very useful on Sunday
Hat
Sunscreen
Long Pants
Paper
Pencil/Pen
Water
Bug spray
Eye Protection and Ear Protection

bump - will consider almost any interesting long range related items in trade for the $250 registration fee.

bump - take my spot, I'll pay your first day's range fee ($25).

Class is next weekend. Spot is still available.

Mention this listing and I'll pay both days range fees ($50 discount). So you owe me $200 for the $250 I've paid... and any interesting trades considered.

take my spot for this weekend's class and I'll pay your range fees ($50 discount)

1760 yards tomorrow! A little more if you miss. ? If someone takes this I’ll let you shoot my .338 lm!

Reactions: Performify