• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Closest long range shooting areas near So Cal

.375Mojave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I am working in Orange County Cal (Brea) and am wondering if anyone can recommend a place heading toward the desert where I can shoot my .375 Chey Tac and 338 Lapua.

Hopefully there are some places that are nott too far out east. Even 200 to 300 would be OK but hopefully someone knows a spot where you can stretch it out to 1500 yards.

Thanks

Re: Closest long range shooting areas near So Cal

I drive to Barstow. For the quickest trip you can exit Hodge road and shoot on the west side of the I-15, the east is an ohv area. Can be a pretty popular on weekends. There you can find 1500 yds. If you drive north of the I-40 there is more room. Less people there and better places to shoot but requires at least a truck and 4wd is helpful sometimes. This is where I prefer to shoot. Unfortunately that puts you almost halfway to Vegas.

Angeles Ranges has steel out to 600 yards, but beyond that your best bet is BLM land near Barstow or Mojave. Time to invest in some good steel targets and maybe a 4x4
smile.gif

Good info to know fellas.

I'm moving to Riverside in a few weeks and have been looking for places and people to shoot with.

I've got 4x4, multiple steel targets and a 338 LM (have made it to 1500, but would like to go farther)...just looking for some good gun company to enjoy the desert on the weekends. Bonus if there is a place to camp out that way...

Thanks for the info. I have 4wd and a quad so the areas you mention will work. Hoped there was something closer but Barstow may be all there is.

How far North on I-40 from the 15 do you go?

I have a 2' X 2' steel and a small stand that holds large targets for when I set up in the desert near Vegas. Hopefully it won't be as windy in So Cal as it is in Vegas in the winter.

I shoot out by Barstow as well if you go east of the 15, south of the 40. take Barstow Rd/247 back south a little bit, go past the dump and the first couple miles to the east of the 247 are not OHV area's and are legal to shoot on, I take the power line road in to where I shoot.

I head to the Cady mountains east of Newberry Springs. It is somewhat remote. I also shoot where stealff mentioned, less remote and an easier drive. Sometimes the gate is locked directley at the powerline road so you have to drive around. Unfortunately 20mph winds are common and its been picking up lately.

Thanks Stealff.

I had a guy at the jobsite here in Brea give me what I think are exactly those directions. His company did some work at the dump and was familiar.

Burbank Rifle and Revolver Club has shooting out to 1000 yards. Their range is located in Castaic. Open only open to members but fees are not high. The club is very active with registered matches in NRA high power and CMP. Club web home – http://www.brrc.org/index.html

Desert Marksman has matches out to 1000 - info here - http://www.desertmarksmen.org/disciplines/1000-yard. Full access is by club membership (very reasonable) but matches are open to the public. They're having a 1000 yard match on March 25th. The range is off the 14 freeway between San Fernado and Lancaster - map here http://www.desertmarksmen.org/photo-gallery

Tag. I am in placentia. Would love to shoot with some of you guys when I got my rifle back from being worked on in a couple months. Also there has to be land closer than Barstow! No?

I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me dstewart.

I have been out to desert marksmen. During the week there is no one there. I think it is like 100$ a year for a membership.

We have a private range in 29Palms with steel from 400 to 1650yds and target frames 100-400yds. If your not a member you can shoot for $5 a day.

I just moved to San Diego on orders and have been looking for somewhere to shoot but havent had any luck at all. On my way through Barstow I saw all of the desert and wondered if you could just drive out, set up, and shoot. If any of you get together on the weekend or something I'd love to check some new areas out.

I have not been but will check out the NCSA Pala range soon which offers 900 yards in San Diego county. Link: http://www.ncsapala.com/

If you can make the drive, you should try out Wes Thompson's Piru Gun Range. I've spent some great days sighting in on paper and then plinking at steel targets out to 600yds. There is also a steel plate at 1000yds.

http://pirugunrange.com/Piru_Gun_Range/Welcome_Page.html

Thanks to the others for the info on the BLM. I'd like to head out that way and get some practice away from the bench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MANIMAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just moved to San Diego on orders and have been looking for somewhere to shoot but havent had any luck at all. On my way through Barstow I saw all of the desert and wondered if you could just drive out, set up, and shoot. If any of you get together on the weekend or something I'd love to check some new areas out. </div></div>

For a quick relatively close range I use South Bay Rod and Gun Club. 50 to 300 yards. Well kept and the RSO's are usually pretty easy going. http://www.sbrgc.org/

I used to head out and find an open patch of desert, but I have ran into a few Border Patrol that ran me out of the area, just depends on the area and who you run into I suppose.

I'd be interested in shooting in 29 Palms if you have any more info on the range...google let me down on that. Thanks.

Call Scott Edwards 760-367-9691
He is the range master and signup dude. Common courtesy with time you call. It is his businessnumber.

greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Angeles Ranges has steel out to 600 yards, but beyond that your best bet is BLM land near Barstow or Mojave. Time to invest in some good steel targets and maybe a 4x4
smile.gif
</div></div> ive ranged the boulders in the canyon behind and ive got a half mile. haah

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Angeles Ranges has steel out to 600 yards, but beyond that your best bet is BLM land near Barstow or Mojave. Time to invest in some good steel targets and maybe a 4x4
smile.gif
</div></div> ive ranged the boulders in the canyon behind and ive got a half mile. haah </div></div>

880 Yards?

+1 for Desert Marksman. Spent las Tuesday on a work party putting in R/R tie steps up to the covered rifle range. They put in steel plates from 100 out to 640 yards.

Does anyone know any public land within 30 minutes of the San Diego area? I drove up to the range on the Pala Indian Reservation last week and they had a pretty awesome set up, but if theres a place a little closer to SD I would like to know. Im still learning the area so if anyone has any spare time and dont mind taking another shooter I would love to tag along. I was doing a little reading on the Cleveland national forest, but it seems like their recreational shooting there is closed. Are there any other places?

We have a private range in 29Palms with steel from 400 to 1650yds and target frames 100-400yds. If your not a member you can shoot for $5 a day.

can I have info about the private range?

Reactions: gnochi