• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cloth Gun Case

bassani

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Mandeville, LA
I've recently had someone that asked me about storing his rifle in a natural fiber cloth case because he doesnt want it exposed for his neice's and nephews to see in his closet

I personally have never even considered this because i store mine in gun racks in the closet.

Is a natural fiber cloth case fully safe to store firearms?

If so, where the heck do you even get one of these things?

Re: Cloth Gun Case

Okay...I don't want to preach here, but if it is an issue of safety with young children around, then why not properly secure the rifle somewhere that is both out of sight and out of reach of them?!?! Slapping a rifle in an unlocked case/bag, while masking it/covering it up from plain view, does ZERO to secure it from curious youngsters! Kids aren't stupid...a gun case or sleeve or etc. is still an attraction.

Now, preach off, if he's looking for something to "cover up the rifle" and keep it free from corrosion, then something like a silicone-impregnated gun sock/cover would probably be better than a natural fiber cloth that would tend to retain moisture and hold it against the rifle. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/9394602...h-black-logo-52

Re: Cloth Gun Case

I store my rifle with a trigger guard, in a "gun sock", in a rifle shaped cardboard box, under my bed. Have had it there for years now; kids don't mess with it, and it hasn't rusted yet. Granted I shoot and clean it but the sock and box seem to do the job just fine.