• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMC or Triggertech Duty for new build?

bradworley

Private
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2022
Florida
Looking for a decent trigger for my new AR build. I have a Rise 140 on another build of mine. It's ok, but you can definitely feel some creep.
Was looking at the new Triggertech Duty or a CMC 2.5 lb. (I prefer flat faced triggers)
Anyone have any experience with the TT duty? It's pretty new and I'm not finding a lot of reviews.
The CMC seems to be a decent choice as well, but I've heard it has a bit of creep and you can find better triggers for the money.
Any other single stage options out there for around $150 and 3lbs?

If a CMC trigger has creep, send it back and it will get fixed. I’ve only had a bit of creep in one and it was fixed quickly and on their dime.

Reactions: bradworley

Use code TRIGGERED AND IT COST $160 shipped. Never get a better trigger at a better price

I have both, flat faced CMC and slight curved TT Duty.

TT Duty every day and twice on Sunday at the same price, and it can be found for less than the CMC pretty easily. And I say this as a fan of the CMC generally.

TT Duty every day and twice on Sunday at the same price, and it can be found for less than the CMC pretty easily. And I say this as a fan of the CMC generally.
Why do you prefer the Duty over the CMC?
Yesterday I went ahead and bought the CMC. I've been wanting one for a few years now and finally had an excuse. But I have no qualms about returning it if it's not up to par.

What I never liked about Triggertech triggers is the poor reset. This may be fine for slow fire on a precision build, but it would be terrible for anything else. The reset is very weak and very slow. Worst in class. Does the the duty model fix this?

Brownells has the green case TT Diamond limited run on sale for $160. Delivered it comes out to $180-ish all in. They’ve still got some single stage options on their website, no code needed just add to cart.

Why do you prefer the Duty over the CMC?
Yesterday I went ahead and bought the CMC. I've been wanting one for a few years now and finally had an excuse. But I have no qualms about returning it if it's not up to par.
You’ll like it, it’s a great trigger. I’ve had it for over 10yrs — was my first AR tigger upgrade — and it’s always in one of my lowers and has never spent a day in the parts bin.

I prefer the TT’s very distinct feel to the CMC, which is primarily in the creep (extremely little vs none), break (glass vs carrot), and overtravel (really my only complaint with the CMC). I also like 2-stage triggers, which wasn’t available back when I got the CMC but is on the 2 Duties I have.

It’s admittedly a personal preference thing though: two friends who were building out their first ARs last fall tried the ~10 different triggers I have across my collection and they both bought CMCs. That included two different TT models but not the Duty as I didn’t have one yet.

What I never liked about Triggertech triggers is the poor reset. This may be fine for slow fire on a precision build, but it would be terrible for anything else. The reset is very weak and very slow. Worst in class. Does the the duty model fix this?
It’s a lot better: louder, more tactile, just feels like a larger piece of metal moving inside the gun if that makes sense. It’s still nothing on par with, say, a Geissele though (G2/SSA/SSA-E). If reset were my primary concern it wouldn’t be my pick.

Reactions: wade2big
It’s a lot better: louder, more tactile, just feels like a larger piece of metal moving inside the gun if that makes sense. It’s still nothing on par with, say, a Geissele though (G2/SSA/SSA-E). If reset were my primary concern it wouldn’t be my pick.
Sounds like it may be a decent option for a general use rifle. None of the other models are. I have several TT triggers in the package (no duty models). I have only one installed in a lower. I’m going to get rid of all of them.

For precision rifles, I like TriggerTech and whatever quality triggers out there with a nice clean break.
For “duty” AR rifles as OP stated, I go with Geissele for their solid build, track record, crisp reset, and ease of maintenance.

Reactions: stilesg57
Not quite in your budget but my I decided to give Elftmann a try. Grabbed their match trigger and have been really impressed! Single stage, goes down 2.75 lbs, the pre and over travel are almost non- exsistant (I think a fella on Brian Enos measured them at about .030") and the reset is VERY tactile and audible. Another plus is even though it is a cassette it can disassembled almost completely. I mean I wouldn't press the roller bearings out but baring you can break it all the way down. I caught a sale and got mine for 30% off or about $180.00 plus shipping. I'll add that their customer service was great and they were more than happy to answer any questions I had.

Brownells has the green case TT Diamond limited run on sale for $160. Delivered it comes out to $180-ish all in. They’ve still got some single stage options on their website, no code needed just add to cart.
Add code TRIGGERED and it’s $160 shipping and tax included

Sounds like it may be a decent option for a general use rifle. None of the other models are. I have several TT triggers in the package (no duty models). I have only one installed in a lower. I’m going to get rid of all of them.
Agreed on the general purpose points but not the “going to get rid of all of them” one 😉

I’ve got a TT Adaptable set pretty low on my 3gun rifle, a TT Diamond on my long range AR, and one of these TT Duty triggers just replaced the RA-140 in my general/SHTF/defense rifle. I didn’t care for the Rise trigger at all, def not an upgrade from the G2S that was in it before, or even the ALG ACT that was in it before that.

I had the same issue with the TT but once I got used to them I won't run anything else. The TT Duty and Adaptable definitely have a more tactile reset duty being the strongest. Sell the ones you have boxed up and give the TT Duty a try, sounds like it's more your style.