• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMMG Banshee Radial Delayed PCC

Forgetful Coyote

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Georgia
For Banshee PCC owners; how do yall like them? Hows recoil? The Zenith Z5 and PTR 9's prices have gotten crazily high recently.. while one of those would be first choice, the current prices and the fact that the Banshee is available in 10mm and is delayed blowback along with being a lot cheaper makes it increasingly attractive.

Also- any word on the Palmetto State PSA5 MP5 clone? What ever happened to those?

Most blowback guns have fluted chambers as well. I had issues with it messing up my brass, I didn’t feel comfortable reloading it after being shot from my OM9RS. Just my two cents

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Have the 5" one in 45ACP.

I like it a lot. I'm not much for mag dumps but with this one you really can't resist.

Shot soft from the factory. Adding the little plug from the Law Folding adapter softened it even more. Haven't played with buffers or springs and don't really see a need to. I had a direct blowback 16" 9mm AR from PSA that I don't recall shooting this smooth. Don't have tons else to compare it to though.

I've added a JMAC KeyMo Brake recently and am intrigued to see if it helps any more, although once my Hybrid 46 gets out of jail I doubt it gets shot unsuppressed much.

Attachments

• IMG_20211213_225055591.jpg
    IMG_20211213_225055591.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20211213_225138286.jpg
    IMG_20211213_225138286.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20211213_225025495.jpg
    IMG_20211213_225025495.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 101
I have a 9mm with the 8" barrel. It's nice and smooth.

It did show up with about 0.003" of axial runout on the barrel shoulder, which doesn't sound like much but eats up every bit of clearance and then some by the end cap of a Obsidian 9. I spun the assignment rod 360°, I swapped mounts, I tried two other cans, and then I pulled the barrel, chucked it in the lathe, and confirmed the barrel was the problem. At that point, it took about 30 seconds to fix the problem.

PXL_20220714_180626055.jpg

Last edited:
I have some experience with 16” CMMG PCC in 9mm and it was soft shooting but as a left hander I do have to endure lots of blow back.
One thing to consider is after market parts, especially barrel designed for RDB action is only produced by CMMG

My dad picked one up in 9mm/8" barrel. It seems to be pretty soft shooting and is a little more forgiving during rapid fire than my APC9, but not hugely so.

The biggest downside to it I have found is that it runs really gassy with a can. Like its much much much worse than my 10.3" Geissele Super Duty when I compared them against each other with the same hybrid can recently. So, if this is going to be a dedicated suppressor host I am not sure I would recommend it, otherwise I've been fairly impressed for the $1300 he paid.

Have the 5" one in 45ACP.

I like it a lot. I'm not much for mag dumps but with this one you really can't resist.

Shot soft from the factory. Adding the little plug from the Law Folding adapter softened it even more. Haven't played with buffers or springs and don't really see a need to. I had a direct blowback 16" 9mm AR from PSA that I don't recall shooting this smooth. Don't have tons else to compare it to though.

I've added a JMAC KeyMo Brake recently and am intrigued to see if it helps any more, although once my Hybrid 46 gets out of jail I doubt it gets shot unsuppressed much.
Hope you have a better experience with that setup than I did friend!

I have the banshee 300 9mm and a SiCo omega 9k lives on it. I have had good luck with mine and its been 100% reliable. When we take a trip it goes in the duffle and stays close. I really want a couple of the magpul 50 rnd drums they recently released for glock mag pcc’s. I run 124gr speer gold dots in mine but have ran just about everything else in it with no issues. I regularly shoot mine out to 125 yards on a 45% ipsc piece os steel with boring accuracy.

I built the 9mm / 8" upper.
Still thinking about purchasing their Glock mag lower, as the pmag conversions don't have enough spring tension for reliable lrbho - it's about 80% but once things get nasty it won't lock back.

Deployed friend keeps shipping stuff to my house, and I (with permission and reports back!) use it. Have gotten his radial blowback SBR upper (8"?) to work on my lower, and it is pretty great.

I have, for years now, shot a mostly-Colt 9mm upper with ACS mags and an adapter for IDPA days, since they allow it and why show up for a gunfight with a pistol :)

Done some range time and two matches with the CMMG and it's delightful. To the shoulder it's the same recoil, rise, but the splits tell a different story. MUCH faster, with at least as much accuracy on the followups. Like, actuator swinging target, hammer pair 2" apart on that, moving.

I especially like the 5.56 sized mag inserts, really slick system and the MEAN guys were really nice about some compatibilty stuff and traded me some Colt style inserts that never worked for these, for free! Nice stuff. If I had to put together a PCC today, would suggest them without reservation.

(I do not have any pistol caliber suppressors, so can provide no input there).

52157476597_31d8bb9dc1_b.jpg

52158499953_baa758fcb1_b.jpg

I ran a Scorpion EVO for years (8" barrel), and earlier this year built an upper for my SBR with the 8" 9mm barrel and Radial Delayed BCG from CMMG. Both ran with the same Form 1 can from QuietBore and soon to be with my Obsidian 9. The recoil is definitely noticeable to me, albeit not night/day. It's a smooth push Vs. hard jab. I've put around 800 rounds through it of various ammo (super and subsonic). I had yet to have a single issue, even being filthy from running suppressed all those rounds. I did have issues from time to time with subsonics (depending on brand) with the EVO, attributing it to the heavy bolt with the blowback design most PCC have. I actually just cleaned it and was pleased that it has less buildup/gummy than my 5.56 upper (obviously due to not having a gas tube flowing into the upper for the PCC). This barrel is very accurate as well with Federal Red box 115g ammo, as well as the American Eagle 147g (subsonic) ammo.

The CMMG magazines (or inserts if you just buy the kits) are fantastic! Easy to load, holds 30 rounds, locks back every time, and gives you the same feel as shooting your 5.56/300blkout, just cheaper and fun plinking at a pistol range. Down side is, now they're so popular and CMMG is so far behind on orders that the price has doubled from what they were Two years ago. Use to be able to grab them for under $300. I've seen them now as high as $500, and even $600 on GunBroker.

If you can get one, you won't disappointed. Makes a solid PCC.

Last edited:

It did show up with about 0.003" of axial runout on the barrel shoulder, which doesn't sound like much but eats up every bit of clearance and then some by the end cap of a Obsidian 9. I spun the assignment rod 360°, I swapped mounts, I tried two other cans, and then I pulled the barrel, chucked it in the lathe, and confirmed the barrel was the problem. At that point, it took about 30 seconds to fix the problem
Very nice! I wish I had the space for a lathe in my house/garage. Definitely saved you have to ship it back to CMMG or pay someone else to fix it.

Very nice! I wish I had the space for a lathe in my house/garage. Definitely saved you have to ship it back to CMMG or pay someone else to fix it.

Yeah, it's nice to have but I'm not sure that it has paid for itself yet 😉 More than anything, I was impatient to try out my new Obsidian 9, and it really didn't take much time to troubleshoot - less than an hour from "huh this alignment rod doesn't look good" to "9mm bullet hose quietly goes pop-pop-pop". Seemed like a better use of time than any of my posts in the Bear Pit.

Yeah, it's nice to have but I'm not sure that it has paid for itself yet 😉 More than anything, I was impatient to try out my new Obsidian 9, and it really didn't take much time to troubleshoot - less than an hour from "huh this alignment rod doesn't look good" to "9mm bullet hose quietly goes pop-pop-pop". Seemed like a better use of time than any of my posts in the Bear Pit.
Where’d you learn machining @E. Bryant ? Planning to start at Lanier Tech this January for CNC & Precision Machining, and currently run the CNC plasma machine at work. Would love to get into barrel making eventually, I can’t get enough of that subject.

Where’d you learn machining @E. Bryant ? Planning to start at Lanier Tech this January for CNC & Precision Machining, and currently run the CNC plasma machine at work. Would love to get into barrel making eventually, I can’t get enough of that subject.

I got started when a toolmaker took me under his wing when I was an engineering intern, and the rest I've learned from making mistakes.

Good on you for pursuing formal education in the field - I hope to buy a blank from you some day.

It did show up with about 0.003" of axial runout on the barrel shoulder, which doesn't sound like much but eats up every bit of clearance and then some by the end cap of a Obsidian 9. I spun the assignment rod 360°, I swapped mounts, I tried two other cans, and then I pulled the barrel, chucked it in the lathe, and confirmed the barrel was the problem. At that point, it took about 30 seconds to fix the problem.

View attachment 7912584
So what about for this of us that don’t have lathes? Ever check alignment on a tri lug?

Has anyone messed with the 5.7 setup? I've been playing with the idea, however reloading the 5.7 is questionable from what I read.