• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMMG LPK breakage

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
Well this sucks.. Opened up my lower and out shoots my buffer spring and I watch my buffer fly across the room.

Well there is your problem.. (Snapped buffer detent)

110F8BE8-29FC-43F1-B98B-0BB87EA106A4.jpg

Simple to figure out the issue.. But why and how did his happen? I've built 8 AR's and this is the first time I've seen this. This is a LR308 with a total of 50 rounds and one range trip on it..

Also noticed this odd wear on the buffer.. (Also a CMMG H carbine Buffer) CMMG LR308 BCG for those wondering as well.

9D90D4D0-0645-421B-82C7-B8A08C16B190.jpg

So does anyone have any ideas on why or what is happening? Or was this just a faulty detent and a fluke? I'm just glad this didn't happen during a competition/live fire.

is this a complete cmmg rifle or is this one you built? Also what length gas do you have on it. it really looks like it is over-gassed giving the carrier one hell of a kick does it feel like it is taking your shoulder off? And last but not least how does it do with extraction?

Last edited:
Well...it could be any number of issues, BUT...here is some info I have posted in the past on this same issue:

I have seen similar results on ARs where the lower was out of spec. Specifically, if the buffer detent pin hole in the lower was improperly placed too far rearward...toward the receiver extension/buffer tube...it can allow the buffer to make contact with the detent pin instead of the back of the carrier and cause exactly the buffer damage you are experiencing. The only time, on an in-spec, normally functioning AR whether AR-15 or large-frame AR, that the buffer should contact the buffer detent is when the upper is pivoted up or removed completely from the lower. All that pin does is "capture" the buffer and spring from popping out of the lower/launching, but otherwise, the buffer hits the carrier...not the buffer detent pin. Alternatively, the other part that could be the problem is that your carrier could be out of spec (i.e. - too short) and allowing the buffer to slam forward into the pin (shearing it off, etc.).

What brand lower is it? What carrier?

That said, there are multiple ways to address the problem.

1) you can just remove the now broken buffer detent and spring and run the rifle without those parts. However, every time you pivot the upper on the lower or remove it completely, you'll need to be prepared to catch flying components or at a minimum, keep them from striking you in a bad spot! ;)

2) you can milling the face of the buffer to remove a ring of material around the entire face of the buffer sufficient to keep it from striking the buffer retainer pin unless and until you go to pivot the upper on the lower. However, in doing so, you weaken the buffer face somewhat which could result in other problems.

3) you could also look into one of the "anti-cant" style buffers made for piston driven ARs that look like this which more or less already have a sizeable relief cut in them (more so than what you'd need to mill off your existing buffer to resolve the problem): Heavy Buffers | Products Those buffer were designed to deal with the issue of "carrier tilt" which won't be an issue in a DI rifle, but they do have the face of the buffer milled in a similar fashion to what you'd be doing to yours. The problem with doing that on a "standard" buffer is that there isn't nearly as much material on the face as Slash's anti-cant buffers and may cause the weakening of the buffer I mentioned above.

The best course of action is to replace or repair the lower or the carrier (whichever might be the culprit), but I realize that gets expensive and poses other issues too.

Good luck!

The coining on the face of the buffer shows that it was beating the crap out of the retainer.
The only time the buffer should come in contact with the retainer (detent) is when the receiver is swung open. The end of the bolt carrier should hold the buffer off the pin when the action is in battery.
Barrel extension or bolt carrier too short?

Yes it is a home build. I have a 18" barrel with a mid length gas system. This is in 308 not 5.56 and mega via email told me the holes are with in spec for 308 and mid length is optimal for an 16/18" 308 barrel when ported correctly. Which they said all are ported and speced very tightly for over gassing. As far as kick.. It kicks like a 308 I guess..

As for the parts it's a CMMG - LPK, BCG, Stock/Buffer kit. So if it's out of spec either way it's CMMG..

As for the carrier hitting the detent can't be the case. I've already measured and put the carrier with the buffer in the tube to see max travel and it has about 1/2" of room between the BCG body and the detent.

But as in delixe's post it does seem to have extra room for the bolt to move forward than the spring before it meets the detent.. How can I check for a bad barrel extension, over travel or bad BCG OAL?

Just got a message CMMG is sending me a new detent. But now I want to know how to fix this so it doesn't happen again.